• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst UK station in rush hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkRedon

A fun journey I've done more than once is Manchester Airport, change Piccadilly and Leeds, for Hull, with a large suitcase back from Middle East. Joy unbounded - upon reaching peaceful Hull!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

centraltrains

Cross City line northbound is pretty bad at New Street in the evening peaks. Platform 8, especially at the A end, is nowhere near wide enough for the quantity of passengers.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A fun journey I've done more than once is Manchester Airport, change Piccadilly and Leeds, for Hull, with a large suitcase back from Middle East. Joy unbounded - upon reaching peaceful Hull!
You could do that journey with a single, same-platform change at Huddersfield to avoid much of the stress. Indeed TPE recommends changing between Airport and non-Airport services at HUD.

MarkRedon

You could do that journey with a single, same-platform change at Huddersfield to avoid much of the stress. Indeed TPE recommends changing between Airport and non-Airport services at HUD.
And enjoy the classic buffet while I can! Good suggestion, thanks. I still have a tendency to follow the advice given me long ago: if it's going in your direction, take it. I suspect I will be too old to care before much of the TransPennine route is four-tracked and that advice is definitely questionnable.

Leeds platform 16 whenever there’s any bit of disruption to TPE just falls to bits. Often in the past I gave up at the first sign of trouble and went for a meal and drink in the city whilst it all blows over.

RichJF

East Croydon is worth a mention - not from train timetabling, but from the ineptitude of the station's modernisation.

Footbridge designed with tiles - like sheet ice in the wet with people slipping all over the bridge & steps.
Roof on footbridge doesn't fully cover the aforementioned steps so rain gets into the stairs on stormy days.
Steps come down the platforms & face AWAY from the platform infrastructure to the north
Sloped walkways that have opaque glazing on the side so make them very claustrophobic. The window frosting was designed to stop people running, but every time I visit the station I notice MORE people running down the ramps.
Small area beyond ticket gate-line so huge numbers of passengers congregate & clog up the entrance hall.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
And enjoy the classic buffet while I can! Good suggestion, thanks. I still have a tendency to follow the advice given me long ago: if it's going in your direction, take it. I suspect I will be too old to care before much of the TransPennine route is four-tracked and that advice is definitely questionnable.
If I don't have much luggage I'd go along with that tbh. For example if I'm doing my regular journey of Batley to Huddersfield and I arrive at BTL when the Wigan service is due, I'll take that to Dewsbury (or Mirfield if the weather is nice) even though the Mirfield change won't get me to Huddersfield any earlier than waiting for the direct. Motion feels more progressive than stasis I guess.

In a decade or so when the Huddersfield rebuild is done, it's entirely possible that the Hull service will use the slow line platforms with the airport services using the fasts... in which case braving the crowds at Leeds might be a better option!

Parallel

Established Member
I don’t travel around the North much but I was shocked at Manchester Piccadilly 13/14 when I used that at peak time. Definitely wasn’t fit for purpose (pre-COVID)

Cardiff Queen Street is pretty bad at peak times, especially Platforms 3 & 4.

Recessio

If I can include LU, then the Claphams on the Northern line with those ridiculously narrow platforms. Frankly dangerous.

RichJF

??? How is that supposed to work?

I believe they were installed, as before the ramps were open glass & people could see their trains. Thus, passengers used to sprint to the platforms if they could see the train in the platform (going of a post from many years ago on this forum).
The frosting was put in I believe to stop people seeing the trains & not be tempted to run - it hasn't made any difference.

D6975

Established Member
Leeds platform 16 whenever there’s any bit of disruption to TPE just falls to bits. Often in the past I gave up at the first sign of trouble and went for a meal and drink in the city whilst it all blows over.

Been there, done that. Spoons in the station was packed so I visited the one just up the road. (Becketts Bank)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Been there, done that. Spoons in the station was packed so I visited the one just up the road. (Becketts Bank)

Becketts Bank can get equally rammed! Leeds station is massive but there isn't a lot to it. Like Siberia I suppose. Oh and nearly as cold as from some angles!

Status
Not open for further replies.