• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst Weekday for Disruption on ECML?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
Is there one?
It always seems that Tuesdays and Thursdays are more affected than Monday or Friday but is that my imagination?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Is there one?
It always seems that Tuesdays and Thursdays are more affected than Monday or Friday but is that my imagination?

Yes. I am responsible for the press here to pull the wires down button on Tuesdays and Thursdays and I really like pressing it ;)

Why would the day of the week impact on failures? I dont understand how you could draw such a connection

westv

Established Member
As I said, probably just my imagination.
I work away 5 days a week but have considered doing 4 days and working from home either Monday or Friday. However, problems on Thursdays just seem to come up more often then I have experienced on Fridays.

AngusH

Given that the timetable is different on different days, it doesn't seem impossible that the most intensive day might have the highest probability of failure or delay, which I think would be Friday?

Or perhaps Mondays might be more likely if maintenance has occurred on the Sunday and new modifications behave slightly differently. Or maybe dozy passengers going back to work on Monday mornings are less efficient at boarding so causing delays.

Are there public statistics available from Network Rail, perhaps it could be graphed?

westv

Established Member
Overhead wire damage seems to cause the worst disruption so I wonder if there are any stats for that?

Yes. I am responsible for the press here to pull the wires down button on Tuesdays and Thursdays and I really like pressing it ;)
Please let me know if your days are changed to Fridays and Mondays, so I can use the WCML or Sleazyjet. Ta. :smile:

mildertduck

Ok, so I've just played with some date from recenttraintimes.co.uk, and analysed the route from Durham to London, for every train between the 2nd December and yesterday, and used it to calculate the percentage of arrivals which arrived between RT and 5 minutes late, by day, and plotted them as a graph.
upload_2019-2-24_12-50-32.png

It appears from this analysis that the worst days are Thursday and Friday by a considerable amount. Obviously, this is just one route, and you'd need to look at all of them to make a more comprehensive opinion, but this does give somewhat of an indication.

SPADTrap

Established Member
F up Friday is something that features a lot in my group chat of mainly LNER/GN drivers and staff!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
@mildertduck - I thibk to draw any conclusions more deta and more analysis would be needed. We dont know why the trains were late just that they were

Please let me know if your days are changed to Fridays and Mondays, so I can use the WCML or Sleazyjet. Ta. :smile:

I do the same job on the wcml on fridays and Monday's.

I hope soon to be promoted to running the entire messing up peoples day department as I have some fresh and creative ideas as to how we that can be done more effectively and efficiently

Esker-pades

Established Member
Basic statistical rules:
There has to be theory behind the statistics in order to justify them. There are really silly correlations out there, none of which mean that there is a relationship.

Some examples from http://tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations:
  • The number of people who drown by falling into a pool correlates with the number of films Nicholas Cage appears in
  • The number of people who die by getting tangled in their bedding correlates with the per capita cheese consumption
  • US crude oil imports from Venezuela correlates with the per capita consumption of high fructose corn syrup in the US

Three-Nine

Theres an old "Dilbert" joke where a sectretary messes with her boss by telling him that 40% of employee sick days are taken on Mondays and Fridays, which the manager then informs his staff is unacceptable... :smile:

Bantamzen

Established Member
Basic statistical rules:
There has to be theory behind the statistics in order to justify them. There are really silly correlations out there, none of which mean that there is a relationship.

Some examples from http://tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations:
  • The number of people who drown by falling into a pool correlates with the number of films Nicholas Cage appears in
  • The number of people who die by getting tangled in their bedding correlates with the per capita cheese consumption
  • US crude oil imports from Venezuela correlates with the per capita consumption of high fructose corn syrup in the US

Where's that 'Like' button when you want it? I've already given this to my senior leaders within my department, its far more scientific than anything they currently use..... :D

westv

Established Member
Well I thought the stats were interesting even if nobody else did! :p

lordbusiness

Most days at the moment it seems. Looking back through their PPM they are usually down the bottom of the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.