• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worth going on Wrexham and Shropshire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathmo

I'm looking at travelling from Cambridge to Runcorn (or nearby stations) on 24 March and returning on 7/8 April, and was thinking about trying out Wrexham and Shropshire First Class for one of the legs. However, I can get £10 Advance (standard) fares via Euston for each direction so it seems a bit expensive.

What's the best fare Cambridge - Runcorn East via W&S, say taking the 12:17 W&S service? I get £12.60 (Cambridge-London) + £1.60 (Oyster tube) + £36.30 (to Wrexham First Class) + £6.40 = £56.90 - is the service worth the extra £45 and extra 3 or 4 hours?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's worth if if you're a big fan of GM locos, or if you want to take a railtour!

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Not everyone wants to do trains cos of the locomotives Yorkie...

Mathmo, PM Kestrel on this forum, he went on a WSMR trip not long ago and had some very positive views about it, despite it being cape'd on the return due to the very severe rain that played havoc with the electrics on the loco and stock.

Phoenix

Established Member
I went on WSMR from Tame Bridge Parkway to chirk and back on sunday and I have to say that it was great the service was very friendly and if you take time to work out a decent fare then it really is worth it and well to be honest if your after the loco's then the 67's arn't that bad definatly quick off the mark and some decent sounds it's not a 47 but these days do we get much choice.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I used Wrexham and Shropshire railway during one weekday in August last year, from Wrexham General, on what was the 11:10 departure.

I travelled First Class, and I was highly impressed with the very attentive service which WSMR provided throughout the journey.

It was just a real shame that the First Class carriage was out of use, due to a defect with the lighting, and that the train was almost an hour late starting, because of the original set suffering a fault itself. (The service from London which was originally scheduled to form the return 11:10 working had consequently been cancelled, and the delay had been caused by having to send the train empty from a Birmingham depot.)

The service was consequently terminated at Banbury due to the late running, but the staff kept us all informed, and ensured that the Chiltern staff directed us to the next train to London Marylebone.

All in all, i was very impressed with the service i recieved, and do not hold any of the problems i encountered against WSMR at all. :)

The Skip bash is well worth the money. The food on the WSMR trains is pretty good and if you're going 1st class I'm led to belive its well worth it. Highly recomend the bacon baps.

Recently me and the lad did the 0725 Wrexham to Marylebone. Nipped round most of the London Terminii and then caught the 16.33 off Marylebone to Wrexham. With a family railcard it cost me £17 return for both of us and only £2.70 to park my car at Wrexham. Couldn't have gone from local station for that price. Granted I did have to drive the 45 minutes to Wrexham but at least I had a seat and a table both ways. And didn't pay £6 for my car parking and I didn't have to travel on the Vermin Services to Euston. If i go to London in future I'll either travel with WSMR or take the slower train/service provided by London Midland

Last edited:

mathmo

Thanks for the advice. Given what you've said, I do quite fancy a Wrexham & Shropshire trip but it will just take too long I think to be worth it. Maybe another time though!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not everyone wants to do trains cos of the locomotives Yorkie...
... which is why that was only one of 2 example reasons I gave why someone may want to spend a lot more money for a much longer journey.

I suspect more people do it for the latter reason!

Polarbear

Established Member
I'm doing a return trip to London with WMSR next weekend. Out Saturday for £10 singled std class, return Sunday £55 1st class.

I will report on my psuedo railtour in due course...!!:D

Established Member
Hmmmm. A 40 to Marylebone would be nice! ;);)

I agree, excellent service on WSMR. I highly recommend the Bacon Baps!

ill keep that in mind then when i bash them how much are the bacon baps and speaking of bacon bap next time your on a pendolino have one of there bacon baps there nice. :)
Maybe we could also have a 37 as well as the 40 :D

CCF23

On Tuesday 17th February i used Wrexham and Shropshire for the first time. I got £1 return tickets for me and my dad between London Marylebone to Wrexham General through an offer in February's edition of Modern Railways. Leaving on the 06.45 train everything was fine until on arrival at Banbury our train manager, after a fairly long delay, informed us that the delay was due to the drivers seat being stuck and the driver unable to fit in the cab. Minutes later we were told to evacuate the train due to loco failure (67013). To get to Wrexham we got Chiltern (Banbury-Birmingham Moor Street) ,walk to New Street where me and my dad got detached from the train manager due to me taking pictures at the end of the platform and the rest of the group getting on the train without us.After that we got London Midland to Wolverhampton, London Midland to Shrewsbury, (where the ATW to Holyhead via Wrexham was canceled) Arriva Trains Wales (Shrewsbury-Crewe) ATW (crewe-chester) where i looked around for an hour and a half or so before getting ATW to Wrexham General to get on the 17.23 Wrexham and Shropshire (Wrexham General-London Marylebone). The return journey was very pleasant with comfortable Mark 3 coaching and friendly staff. After the loco failure the train manager and crew were helpful and were with the passengers to Wrexham. Overall great service despite the set backs.

Chester025

ill keep that in mind then when i bash them how much are the bacon baps and speaking of bacon bap next time your on a pendolino have one of there bacon baps there nice. :)

£2.50 IIRC. Yep I've tried the Virgin baps, but there are not as good. They are zapped in the microwave while the WSMR, and ATW Loco Hauled, are properly cooked! Lovely! :D

Maybe we could also have a 37 as well as the 40 :D

Maybe in the summer! ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A 37 to Marylebone and 40145 back would be nice! <D

As for WSMR, I've only been on their trains twice. Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury last August and Wolverhampton to Cosford on 3rd January 2009. Both occasions with 67013, with no issues regarding the train's performance. Timetabling with the one last summer and the different times provided at Wolverhampton put me off using them for a long time but I do like the MK3s.

I'd say it's well worth doing a run with WSMR although I've still got to do a full Wrexham to Marylebone run with them. Another mission for this summer me thinks.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Aye, saw confirmation of this elsewhere. Should be interesting and I'm rather keen on doing it.

And I had gathered you werent talking a load of waffle :p

Oh, and it won't just be ETS on the rear, it'll be used for the stock release in London as well :p

CosherB

Established Member
Well I've just spent a few days in London. Caught the 09:11 Pendelino from Wilmslow to Euston on Monday and enjoyed a very good at-seat-served breakfast in 1st class, and a very fast run (less than 2 hours to Euston).

Came back today W&S Marylebone to Shrewesbury 1st class (£55 - about the same as the Virgin Pendo on Monday). A loco and just 3 mk3s (2 second class, and 1st/buffet, so only 18 1st class seats for the 5 of us in 1st) and a DVT. Absolutely excellent lunch (I had mushroom soup and roll to start, Beef Bourgenoin as main course). After a 10 minute wait at Shresebury, an Arriva Wales service whisked me home to Wilmslow with only one stop (Crewe). The entire journey was about 4.5 hours, but I wasn't in a hurry. I'll certainly be using W&S again!

The on-board service on W&S is in a different league to Virgin. It's friendly, and efficient as opposed to Virgin's 'overworked air hostess' attitude. The small train belonging to a small company makes it more like a personal service than giant Virgin could ever be.

Polarbear

Established Member
I couldn't find this thread after my first post - getting long in the tooth for all this computer malarky...:)

Anyhow, I have to say I was most impressed with WMSR & will certainly use them again when I get chance.

I went to London std class on a Saturday. Sat in a declassified Mk3 1st class vehicle drinking real coffee is pretty civilised. The buffet menu for std is pretty good too, and reasonably priced as well. The train was fairly busy, I suspect with day trippers & people like myself & my brother going to London for a weekend break.

My return journey was in 1st class. Unfortunately, due to late running & a need to refuel the 67, the train started at Wembley. We left there around 25 min late but were given a clear path all the way to Tame Bridge where we arrived on time. NR must have looped a few trains to enable us to pull back the time so well done folks!:D

First class service is exactly what it says -first class. Coffee & tea are served in individual pots & the food was excellent, (and a fair bit of it too). Two courses was plenty, washed down with a reasonably priced bottle of wine. The service itself was excellent, professional without being too rushed.

My only problem with WMSR is the time it takes for the journey. It's fine if you are not in a rush but it does need to be more competitively timed to attract business people in the future.

All in all, well worth the money & would recommend this operator to anyone.

Mintona

Established Member
The on-board service on W&S is in a different league to Virgin. It's friendly, and efficient as opposed to Virgin's 'overworked air hostess' attitude. The small train belonging to a small company makes it more like a personal service than giant Virgin could ever be.

To be fair, some of the Virgin "overworked air hostesses" are well hot.

Pumbaa

Established Member

Rofl :D in my experience, the Liverpool crews are the worst - they sit in K and gossip, regardless of passenger numbers. Manc crews are generally helpful, and the Glasgow crews just look bored!

CosherB

Established Member
Mintona said:

Crickey, Mintona... not the ones I've seen unless you're desperate. ;)

Rofl :D in my experience, the Liverpool crews are the worst - they sit in K and gossip, regardless of passenger numbers. Manc crews are generally helpful, and the Glasgow crews just look bored!

Ain't that the truth! Scouse crews generally have a 'do the minimum you can get away with' attitude, and the Glasgow crews are on duty for hours and therefore are bored.:)

Glasgow crews always get the stuff done really quick, then they just lounge about, however they are helpful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.