• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Would this be honoured? East Kilbride to Tweedbank

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbreckers

East Kilbride to Tweedbank.

3 changes, 3h 25 mins

For £1 return

http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=EKL&dest=TWB&tkt=SDS

Not a trip I will be making, but would this ticket be honoured if someone bought it? It's clearly an error

3lPIMLh.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, I am sure it would be honoured.

On the new style tickets, the price is barely noticeable so I doubt it would even raise an eyebrow. On the old style tickets, the price is a bit more noticeable, so any staff who take a close look may spot something odd about it. Price doesn't in any way determine validity.

I suspect the price will go up very soon though, so you'd need to be quick to book that if you did want to make that journey. Most booking sites will only allow booking up to the end of March, but thetrainline.com allows bookings to be made up to early June. Ticket offices can sell tickets up to 1 year in advance, though in practice some may decline to make the sale.

By the way, slight correction: It's £1 single, so £2 if you wanted two singles for a return journey.

It's a very good price, but I did once manage to get a York-Tamworth single for £1, Tamworth-London single for £1 (and the same in the return direction), so it's not unheard of to get amazing mileage for only £1 ;)

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yeah that'll be honoured. Try not to make a habit of posting loopholes in public though, PM a fares advisor or mod in future :)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's an Anytime Day Single so there are no Break of Journey restrictions whatsoever including starting/stopping short.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Better buy it quick!

extendedpaul

So could somebody who commutes daily between Glasgow and Edinburgh act quickly and buy a whole batch of £1 tickets and save themselves a lot of money?

The £1 tickets seem to be available all day every day till 28 March.:o

Glenmutchkin

Seems too good to miss. The Scotrail site just let me buy singles each way for collection from the machine at our local station.

Perhaps this is why traffic on the Borders line is looking so healthy.

telstarbox

Established Member
Is it possible that Scotrail tried to set up promotional fares for the launch of the Borders Railway but implemented either the date or the station validity spectacularly wrongly?

ScottishIain

I take it as there's no restrictions on starting/stopping short then I could use this to go say from Motherwell to Haymarket?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I take it as there's no restrictions on starting/stopping short then I could use this to go say from Motherwell to Haymarket?

As above most certainly. Also means that if you were a commuter between say Edinburgh and Glasgow you could buy one each way for every day you work. So your weekly commute would be £10 as opposed to £93.

najaB

Veteran Member
As above most certainly. Also means that if you were a commuter between say Edinburgh and Glasgow you could buy one each way for every day you work. So your weekly commute would be £10 as opposed to £93.
All E to G commuters: get your next year's worth of tickets now before they realise!*

*Your mileage may vary on the morality of so doing.

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Already got mine. Not sure whether to just use it as an E-G ticket or a Tweedbank....

Haywain

Veteran Member
I was told earlier that Scotrail have issued an intruction to ticket offices not to sell these tickets. Even when there are no other tickets available for a journey!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was told earlier that Scotrail have issued an intruction to ticket offices not to sell these tickets. Even when there are no other tickets available for a journey!
So, if the passenger is making a journey for immediate travel, the passenger will be carried free of charge?!

I can sort-of understand why they might want to issue an instruction not to sell these tickets for future travel, but surely not for immediate travel?!

furlong

Established Member

It would be interesting to see under what powers this instruction was issued or whether it alternatively provides some form of legal indemnification against any claims made as a result of following it. I'm not aware of any provision to require that a published fare not be sold without going through the formal change procedure(*) which can take a couple of days to enact.

(*) Set out in the TSA 4-10 (4) Creating or Changing Permanent Fares when incorrect.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I hope these fares were *altered* in the last fares setting round and they are not new fares? If they were new fares, it's going to take some legal shenanigans to get them changed as the provision normally used only covers fares that have been "deleted" or "amended" in error, but not any "created" in error.

Last edited:

Timster83

Turns out that a variation on this ticket works out cheaper than a season ticket between GLC and my home station on the southside of Glasgow.

Unfortunately, I've bought 7 days' worth of tickets whilst sitting in an airport overseas and now my debit card has been blocked due to anti fraud checks. And they want me to call them at a cost of £3 per minute.

If the code for the ToD has been issued, can the ticket issuer in any way revoke this? Or will there be no issues in collecting my tickets from my local ToD machine on Sunday evening?

Glenmutchkin

If the code for the ToD has been issued, can the ticket issuer in any way revoke this? Or will there be no issues in collecting my tickets from my local ToD machine on Sunday evening?

I don't know what will happen on Sunday but I just collected the tickets that I booked yesterday for later this month. No problems at all.

It looks like the fare is still available on the Scotrail booking site.

https://www.buytickets.scotrail.co.uk/buytickets/combinedmatrix.aspx?Command=TimeTable

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.