• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Would you pay for parking by recycling plastic bottles?

Would you pay for parking with plastic bottles (each bottle is worth 20p)?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ys123

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-en...c-bottles-car-parking-scheme-is-well-received

Leeds plastic bottles car parking scheme is 'well received'
Hundreds of plastic bottles have been handed in to a Leeds car park which is allowing them to be used toward the cost of parking.

The initiative allows drivers to pay for parking by trading in empty bottles for tokens. Each bottle, which has to be at least 500ml, is worth 20p and motorists can bring as many as they like.

Operator CitiPark said the bottles would be "recycled into usable items such as shirts, toys and even chairs".

It is trialling the scheme at its car park at the Merrion Centre during October and says it has been "well received" by customers.

I very much like the idea, but how is the parking company making money from the bottles?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd quite happily see a German style deposit bottle scheme (including moving to heavier, thicker grade reusable bottles rather than melting down each time) but I don't think I'd tie it into anything else.

Groningen

Established Member
I have said this before. In Germany on the stations and trains (and everywhere, but often i only see the station) you see the whole day some people with bags to collect bottles.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have said this before. In Germany on the stations and trains (and everywhere, but often i only see the station) you see the whole day some people with bags to collect bottles.

It is actually quite a good way for homeless people to obtain a little money by going round picking them up and trading them in.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
But how does the environmental benefit of recycling more bottles compare with the environmental cost of more people using cars because they get "free" parking?

Groningen

Established Member
If people need to life from collecting deposit on bottles 9or/and cans) than something is wrong. But for some returning empty stuff a hindrance if they have to keep it with them for the rest of the day.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If people need to life from collecting deposit on bottles 9or/and cans) than something is wrong. But for some returning empty stuff a hindrance if they have to keep it with them for the rest of the day.

If people are on the streets something is wrong. But it does help just a little with that imperfect situation.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
But how does the environmental benefit of recycling more bottles compare with the environmental cost of more people using cars because they get "free" parking?

I'm hoping this would encourage more recycling as people paid "bottle" instead of "cash", rather than making a special trip.

ys123

I'm hoping this would encourage more recycling as people paid "bottle" instead of "cash", rather than making a special trip.
It will be a bit of both. Some people who would anyway be driving and parking will recycle bottles and some people who wouldn't have driven due to parking fees will now drive as it's "free".

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
exactly - must be worth their while. I wonder what they are selling the load on for.

Well, clear PET bottles for recycling will go for about £150/tonne. A 2 litre PET bottle weighs about 40g, so that will be 0.6p per bottle. Coloured PET bottles go for about 20% of that. HDPE (the stuff most supermarket milk comes in) goes for about twice the price of Clear PET.

Last edited:

alxndr

Established Member
I can't see myself saving up bottles to pay for parking as I don't go through a huge amount and I rarely drive anyway, especially not to pay and display carparks. If I happened to have a drink on me I'd use it but wouldn't hoard them for parking purposes.

I'd simply much rather the council be consistent about what they'll collect so I knew whether to bother putting them in the recycling or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.