• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Would you welcome a 21st centuary BR with open arms???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

P156KWJ

Established Member
Bit optimistic! Isn't a Valenta given an overhaul every 18 months usually?

Surely that's like saying every PC gets a new engine every 18 months, when there isn't currently an engine in 089, and hasn't been for some time.

Actually, 10 years is a bit far fetched, but I'm sure it'll be longer than 18 months.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
*Ahem*

43089 has had a Valenta in it for many a moon now. Don't forget it had a Valenta in it as well as all this fancy battery stuff.

Overhauls every 18 months, completely mad amount of overhauling every 36 months. I forget what the 36 month one involves, but it's much more than the 18 month one.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The whole principle of privatisation was to put an investment boost into the network. On the principle that neither of the big 2 political parties are truly labour now, I wouldn't want it to happen.

I'm for rationalisation. A big 4, sort of.

If we had to change it all again, a Big 4 situation would be good and something I'd support.

Pumbaa

Established Member
I’m in two minds here.

I’ve mentioned before that I am in favour of rationalisation. By that, I suggest that the current franchises are conglomerated into ‘super-franchises’, much like the current Greater Western franchise that fGW hold. I would like to see six super franchises created;

-Scottish and Borders (although technically already in existence) to include current Scotrail services, SPT and cross-border runs to Newcastle and Carlisle.
-Northern (much like the current franchise) which covers the north of England, and much of the EMT/London Midland long distance routes that extend into that area, as well as the TPE routes.
-Southern, to be much like the ex-NSE area, which includes the South Central, Southeastern, new Thameslink, all SWT routes excluding the runs to west Country, FCC, the metro services and mid-distance services of NXEA, the WCML services to Birmingham, the Chiltern services to Aylesbury/Princes Risborough and the Thames Valley services from the fGW.
-Wales and West, covering surprisingly all services in Wales to the midlands, all suburban services in the West Country, and the long-distance SWT services.
-Midlands, covering everything else left over, including the EMT connect routes, the West Midlands PTE routes etc.
-Intercity, covering all IC routes including CrossCountry.​

Now, I don’t think that would work particularly efficiently, as it only compounds the problem that we are currently facing, which is DfT getting in the way of what private companies want to do – make money by making improvements. So instead I propose…

National Rail – one complete network run by one company (preferably Govia looking at the big 4 of today), which includes the areas mentioned above as distinct regions, with the exception of Cross-Country which will remain a separate identity, and include the Eurostar services out of St Pancras, and services from Leeds, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle and Birmingham.

On top of that, the infrastructure remains in private hands, such as we have now, and the entire network replaced over a period of x years (which I am aware will take ages). This includes a complete replacement of ex-BREL rolling stock, and the continuation of the ICE-P. Give the project to Bombardier-Siemens consortium, and then approach Siemens to build a new generation of Desiros to replace all old AC electrics such as the 313s etc, and Bombardier for new Meridians to work express Scottish routes, west country routes and new Turbostars to replace the 14x and 15x fleet. The 16x fleet routes will be electrified, as will most of the network where possible.

To aid extra capacity in the short run, build some new class 344 (AC versions of their DC sisters), replace the class 90s and Mk3 on NXEA IC routes, rewire them to work with skips, and chuck em into Cross-Country, cascading some Voyagers to work the Chiltern route expresses, freeing up Turbostars to head North and add much needed capacity. In addition, give TPE route the 180s for Scotland workings, and use the ECML north of Newcastle in addition, give the 170s to the Northern area.

Would never happen I know, but still, I dream on of an efficient British rail network.

BJMorley

But wasn't BR split similar to that with regions? Sound like an interesting plan, but I would like to see Big 4 or total nationalisation.

P156KWJ

Established Member
BR just had Intercity, Provincial Services (later Regional Railways), Network SouthEast and ScotRail didn't they? And towards the end they had Alphaline / Wales & West services didn't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.