Would you....

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by jcollins, 30 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

...pay £5 for a 15 minute trip on a Pacer if there was a £3.50 option of travelling on a modern bus but taking 30 minutes to get there? (Assume you don't have luggage or a bike and aren't making onward travel)

...consider doing a longer trip on a Pacer over a shorter trip on a more modern unit, if the price was lower for the Pacer route? An example where this is an option is Manchester-Chester: a Northern only ticket is £10.80 Off Peak Return but to use the ATW 175 option which is 20 minutes quicker you'd need a £14.50 return ticket. Although, saying that Manchester-Chester isn't as Pacer dominated as other routes so there may be a better example.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Greenback

Greenback Emeritus Moderator

As always, for me it would depend on several factors, such as my reason for travelling in the first place, my destination and origin points (how near I am to the bus stop or railway station) and how skint I am!

I doubt the saving of £1.50 would encourage me to take a bus instead of a train. If the saving was higher, and Mrs Greenback was also travelling, we might go for the bus, as we do when we go to Cardiff and use the First Greyhound if we can get tickets for £1-2! This can save us almost £10.

4. SS4

SS4 Established Member

It depends really on whether time is important, whether my destination is nearer the bus stop or train station and how likely each is to be full.

I'd sacrifice time if the bus was emptier

5. WestCoast

WestCoast Established Member

I could take the bus for my daily commute, but the bus isn't any more modern that the Pacer (not low-floor e.t.c) and takes much longer. It's slightly cheaper, but it's not all that much.

When I'm not on my daily commute, I actively avoid Pacers, I get enough of them during the week!:lol:

6. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

I think I should have given a more detailed example for the first one. Assume the frequency of the bus isn't any less frequent than the train, the bus stops fairly close to both stations that you would use if you caught the train and you'd expect to get a seat on either the bus or train.

Relating to purpose of journey I imagine a lot of people will consider a slower bus more for a Saturday shopping trip than for a daily commute, so you can give two answers in reply.

7. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Personally speaking, yes - even on a Pacer.

8. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Yes - I like the way a Pacer bounces around. :)

9. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Assuming that the train arrives at the same time and stops near to the bus, then I'd take the train. Not for the speed issue but because I'd have more confidence it will turn up and not be as delayed.

10. WestCoast

WestCoast Established Member

For most people, the novelty wears off after becoming a commuter on one.:lol:

11. Madge Wildfire

Madge Wildfire Member

I think that I would travel on the Pacer, much as I dislike the things.

They are ok to get from A to B, as long as the two places are not more than about 15 miles apart.

12. Oliver

Oliver Member

The point is that Pacers were a poor idea when they were built, and they haven't improved over the past 20 years. They set a very poor example for rail travel, and most alternative modes appear better to most people. The sooner they are replaced the better.

13. Techniquest

Techniquest Veteran Member

Indeed, but for me I'd get the Pacer so as to increase my rail mileage. With the amount of 142s and 144s I've had, there's also a good chance it would be required too (had all the 143s) so even better.

I spend a lot of time commuting to/from work on buses, as I don't have a choice where I live, so the more time I get to spend on the railway the better.

14. SS4

SS4 Established Member

Yes, but the fact the OP is asking on a rail forum kind of skews the results :lol:

15. 142094

142094 Established Member

This chestnut again. What would you have had BR do instead? Spend money they didn't have at the time or reduce services across the country?

As for 'poor example', depends on what you are comparing it against. Plus, were are you going to find the money to buy the replacements?

16. anthony263

anthony263 Established Member

Depends what Bus was being used, I would happily travel if it was a double decker (First cymru take note!!) or if it was a Mercedes-Benz Vario (Sorry but i do have a soft spot for them).

Otherwise it would depends does the bus stop closer to when I want to go and how often if the frequency of the service.

17. Essexman

Essexman Member

I never choose bus over train - even a pacer.

18. Nym

Nym Established Member

Same, train from Bolton to Manchester in peak rush hour, full and standing, 90mins on a bus, or 18mins on a train? Hmm......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.