• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrexham and Shropshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianboult

Does anyone out there know why W&S trains do not allow you to buy a ticket to Banbury station from Marylebone - even though they stop there to pick passengers up?
I tried to book a ticket for travel at the weekend (thinking I could get a proper breakfast on the train) and the website will not validate this journey; although you CAN join the train at Banbury and purchase tickets for stations up to Wrexham.

Is this their way of stopping those commuters from Banbury using this service, or some deal that they have done with Chiltern trains to maintain their monopoly there?
Whatever the case it is bloody annoying.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does anyone out there know why W&S trains do not allow you to buy a ticket to Banbury station from Marylebone - even though they stop there to pick passengers up?
I tried to book a ticket for travel at the weekend (thinking I could get a proper breakfast on the train) and the website will not validate this journey; although you CAN join the train at Banbury and purchase tickets for stations up to Wrexham.

Is this their way of stopping those commuters from Banbury using this service, or some deal that they have done with Chiltern trains to maintain their monopoly there?

It's basically to prevent an ORCATS raid on Chiltern. WSMR set down only at Banbury heading towards London, and pick up only out of London. If you board the train heading towards London, there is a reasonable chance that you'll get a bit of a telling off, and you could be forced to buy a ticket from the previous station to London (Tame Bridge Parkway in this case).

glynn80

Established Member

They do not stop to pick up passengers in the southbound direction or set down passengers in the northbound direction. This is basically as Max has said to prevent an "OCRATS Raid". ORCATS is the mechanism by which train companies distribute the revenue that is gained on interavailable fares and if they were to stop and pick up / set down London passengers at Banbury this would take money from Chiltern Railways ORCATS revenue as WSMR would now get a share of that flow.

The same situation occurs at Wolverhampton to prevent an ORCATS raid on Virgin's flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.