• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrexham line redouble to commence,has the press see it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PhilipW

..... and the BBC has it too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-17437506

Two questions:

1) It says 7 miles. Is that the full distance from Wrexham to Saltney Junction ?
2) I thought there would be problems in redoubling part of it as the adjacent dual carriageway had used part of the old carriageway. Is that true ? If so how has it been resolved or is that section still to remain single track ?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
9 miles 42 chains.
According to Planner on the other thread, it looks like Saltney Jn will be doubled and 7 miles of double track from there gets you to the foot of Gresford bank south of Rossett.
Looks like it will be single from there as now over the last 2.5 miles to Wrexham, over the narrow A483 bridge at Gresford.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
9 miles 42 chains.
According to Planner on the other thread, it looks like Saltney Jn will be doubled and 7 miles of double track from there gets you to the foot of Gresford bank south of Rossett.
Looks like it will be single from there as now over the last 2.5 miles to Wrexham, over the narrow A483 bridge at Gresford.

Thats correct, there was doubt about the width of the underbridge,(Cheshire East & Chester), but it seems OK, so the Dynamic loop is not required.Planner will tell us.

Has I said on the other thread, the single track was installed to save only £450K on the overbridge(Wrexham), due to volume of traffic,cost etc, I never see this bridge being replaced, too much infrastructure required, when the Expressway is shut due to accidents, it backs up for miles both ways in only a few minutes with only one way off at Rossett onto a B Road.

Seems the start date is next year or 2014 according to those in the know.

Happy Days.

The Informer

9 miles 42 chains.

It actually gets you to the 205mp which is about a 3rd up the bank.Not far from Gresford old station. That's if it is 7 miles exactly.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There's no WG press release nor Network Rail.

All part of the smoke and mirrors.
I'll believe it when it appears in NR's CP5 plans as "committed"!
Modern Railways also talks about signalling work on Anglesey (Ty Croes) needed for the project.

Even the much vaunted electrification projects are still "subject to value for money".

By the way, where are ATW getting the 158 stock for the longer trains from May?
Units back from refurbishment, or better fleet management?

The Planner

Veteran Member
It will go ahead, purely because the WAG are chucking the cash at it. Ty Croes needs IBs if I recall correctly to split the section as it is planned as AB from Menai Bridge to Holyhead.

PhilipW

Actually, contrary to what has been written in this thread, this month's 'Modern Railways (April, page 10) reports that the doubling will be in two sections, from Saltney Junction to Rossett and from Gresford to Wrexham North junction leaving a single track section of 2.5 miles in the centre from Rossett to Gresford. This section remains single because of a narrow bridge deck over a road, the curvature of the track and an unstable embankment.

I don't personally don't know this area to comment.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Actually, contrary to what has been written in this thread, this month's 'Modern Railways (April, page 10) reports that the doubling will be in two sections, from Saltney Junction to Rossett and from Gresford to Wrexham North junction leaving a single track section of 2.5 miles in the centre from Rossett to Gresford. This section remains single because of a narrow bridge deck over a road, the curvature of the track and an unstable embankment.

I don't personally don't know this area to comment.

The Modern Railways article is a piece on a consultants report to Welsh Government on improving North to South Wales rail links. The press articles "confirming" the redoubling south of Chester have come from Wrexham CBC not WG or NR as I stated previous.

PhilipW

The Modern Railways article is a piece on a consultants report to Welsh Government on improving North to South Wales rail links. The press articles "confirming" the redoubling south of Chester have come from Wrexham CBC not WG or NR as I stated previous.

Fine, but which part of the line is actually going to be doubled.
-- The north and south part (as per the ' Modern Railways' article'
-- or -- the north and central parts (as per earlier contributors to this thread).

a good off

It will go ahead, purely because the WAG are chucking the cash at it. Ty Croes needs IBs if I recall correctly to split the section as it is planned as AB from Menai Bridge to Holyhead.

Ty Croes was some years ago downgraded to a gatebox so will never get IBs. It would however make lots of sense to reinstate it as a block post.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
-- or -- the north and central parts (as per earlier contributors to this thread).

It would seem none at all at the moment as the funders - WG and NR have not confirmed it going ahead at all.

The Informer

The modern railways article makes perfect sense IMO. The bank is unstable and some work to stabilise backs this up. Years ago a permanent slack of 40mph was on the bank due to subsidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.