• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrexham-Manchester Any Permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
The permitted routes for a journey are set out in the routeing guide and it's maps. The shortest route as shown in the National Rail Timetable is always valid and (in this case) all mapped routes that can be used without passing through a station more than once are valid and direct trains are always valid.

Valid Routes from Wrexham General [WRX] to Manchester Victoria [MCV]:
  1. Direct trains from Wrexham General to Manchester Victoria
  2. Mapped Routes:
    WREXHAM GROUP - MANCHESTER GROUP:

In this case it is not a mapped route but it may be the shortest route. I do not have a copy of the National Rail Timetable handy but if that was checked and it was indeed the shortest route then it would be valid. I've looked up the shortest route in two different places and I am receiving conflicting information on the shortest route so I would not be willing to say it is valid at the moment - but it may be upon checking for definite what the shortest route is. Neither of the booking engines I have tried seem to accept it as a valid route so it is quite possible it is not the shortest - although booking engines are not an authority on permitted routes.

Statto

Established Member
Cheers, just to add as there are 2 different ways of going from Wrexham-Liverpool, would the any permitted route be valid via Hooton or Bidston?

ian13

Further to AndrewNTH's post, the shortest route appears to be:
51mi 10ch
Route: Wrexham General, Wrexham North Junction, Wrexham Rossett Level Crossing, Saltney Junction, Chester Roodee Junction, Chester South Junction, Chester West Junction, Chester, Chester East Junction, Mickle Trafford, Helsby, Frodsham, Frodsham Junction, Runcorn East, Acton Grange Junction, Warrington Bank Quay, Winwick Junction, Golborne Junction, Lowton Junction, Parkside Junction, Astley, Patricroft, Eccles, Ordsall Lane Junction, Castlefield Junction, Deansgate, Manchester Oxford Road, Manchester Piccadilly
(According to http://mileage.railmiles.org - not a definitive source.)

The shortest route is always permitted (or one within 3 miles of it), but sadly Liverpool wouldn't fall under this allowance.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Further to AndrewNTH's post, the shortest route appears to be:

(According to http://mileage.railmiles.org - not a definitive source.)

The shortest route is always permitted (or one within 3 miles of it), but sadly Liverpool wouldn't fall under this allowance.

This was one of the sources I checked for the shortest route - but unfortunately another source I checked gave a completely different route, so I really can't be sure.

Lampshade

Established Member
Chester - Manchester is not permitted via Liverpool, I can only assume it's the same for Wrexham.

tony_mac

Established Member
It looks like a ticket to Wigan would be valid via Manchester Victoria, Earlestown, Liverpool then either route to Wrexham. (on Map ML)

I wouldn't really want to try it, though!

It would definitely be valid from Bolton, but that is more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.