• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrexham redouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil from Mon

Travelled Shrewsbury to Chester today. Just an impression, but it felt like some of the very old track on the soon-to-be-commissioned redoubled section has been relaid. Or am I imagining things?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The old single section from Rossett to Balderton ran on the east side of the layout, and new track was laid on the west side which has been in use for a year or so.
There was a stretch under the A483 which ran in the middle of the layout, but that has been slewed over to the east.
The other section of new track is the as yet unused eastern track from Saltney to Balderton.
So currently you travel on new track Rossett-Balderton, and old track on to Saltney.
When the whole lot opens, there will still be old track Balderton-Rossett (east side, Up line) and Balderton-Saltney (west side, Down line).
Perversely, the new track will be 90mph, the old still 60mph.
Unless they have slipped in any changes to last year's plan.
I think there will still be some jointed track left in the old sections.

Ships

Balderton to Green lane is being renewed as part of the domestic renewals plan.

Phil from Mon

Looks like the final phase (for the time being I hope) is upon us

http://www.wrexham.com/news/major-rail-enhancement-works-between-wrexham-chester-to-enter-final-phase-128616.html

Major rail enhancements between Wrexham and Chester will enter into its final phase next week.

The North/South Wales Enhancement project, which is being undertaken as part of Network Rail’s Railway Upgrade Plan, will begin on Friday 24th March.

Funded by Welsh Government, the major rail enhancement will deliver five miles of track redoubling between Wrexham and Chester.

It is hoped that once the project is commissioned this spring, the upgrade work will allow for more frequent services and shorter journey times between Cardiff and Holyhead, subject to additional fleet being made available and limited-stop services being specified in the future.

As part of the project’s final phase, work will be undertaken on the railway between Rossett Junction and Saltney Junction, which will affect passengers travelling between Wrexham and Chester and from North Wales to Chester.

Rail replacement bus services will be in operation on the following dates:

– 9pm Friday 24th March to 11:35pm Saturday 25th March – Chester to Rhyl
– 11:35pm Saturday 25th March night to 3:55am Monday 27th March – Chester to Llandudno Junction
– 9pm Friday 24th March to 5:10am Saturday 1st April – Chester to Wrexham

Work is also underway at Broad Oak and Balderton crossing, which is due to be complete by Friday 24th March. Work will also take place on two other level crossings in the area from Saturday 25 March to Saturday 14th April.

Upgrade work on Green Lane and Pulford level crossings will see them benefit from safer, state-of-the-art obstacle detection systems. The crossings will be closed to pedestrians and road users while the upgrade work takes place, with diversionary routes in place.

Francis McGarry, route delivery director for Network Rail Wales said: “We are pleased to be delivering the final phase of the North/South Wales Enhancement project, which will unlock the potential for faster and more frequent services between Holyhead and Cardiff.

“The work will also provide greater resilience and reliability on the railway, all part of our Railway Upgrade Plan to provide a bigger and better railway for the growing number of passengers.

“With four level crossings set to be upgraded in the area, I would like to thank road and rail users for bearing with us whilst this improvement work takes place.

“We are working closely with our partners Arriva Trains Wales, who are providing a rail replacement bus service for passengers during this essential railway upgrade work.”

Network Rail will also be delivering work between Wrexham and Bidston on Sunday 26th March. Passengers are reminded to check before they travel as some services may be affected.

Note the various caveats around improved timings and frequencies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The imminent week-long closure of the Wrexham-Chester line, starting tonight, and associated alterations to the North Wales Coast services are very badly flagged on NRE.
The weekend closures are simply called "No trains between Chester and Llandudno Jn", and the weekday closures/diversions are not mentioned at all.
The ATW web site covers it a little better, but the diversions of Holyhead-Birmingham trains via Crewe (and calling at all stations to Shrewsbury) is not mentioned at all.
Meanwhile we are told full details of late night alterations between Wrexham and Bidston!
All the changes are on RTT.
Gerald runs via Crewe all next week, too, although the regular Holyhead-Cardiff services are terminated at Chester and restart at Wrexham with a bus link.

Does Cardiff have a proper map of the network up here?

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Looks like the final phase (for the time being I hope) is upon us

Funded by Welsh Government, the major rail enhancement will deliver five miles of track redoubling between Wrexham and Chester.

It is hoped that once the project is commissioned this spring, the upgrade work will allow for more frequent services and shorter journey times between Cardiff and Holyhead, subject to additional fleet being made available and limited-stop services being specified in the future.

I love that quote. completely ignoring the possibility of more frequent services where it matters and where the redoubling is actually happening!

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I love that quote. completely ignoring the possibility of more frequent services where it matters and where the redoubling is actually happening!
Although the increased frequency between HHD-CDF is 'not where it matters', the redoubling is happening on that route and (unfortunately) the Welsh government funded the project for the purpose of improving HHD-CDF services, despite the fact that a reduction to 3 fast trains each way daily, instead of the current 1 fast train and a whole load of slow ones, would probably be a more-appropriate course of action for HHD-CDF services.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
I have kept half an eye on this thread, but it's not a line or an area I know. (I don't think Wrexham is a location ever to have been graced by my presence :))

But this project seems to have over-run/underperformed a range of targets.

I suspect I'm not alone in wondering if some kind soul could sum up:

a) what has (or will soon have) been achieved, at what cost and with what potential results?

versus

b) what the original plan was, what it intended to achieve and at what notional cost?

Thank.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Well, I think the story goes something like:

WG asks NR how much to redouble Saltney-Wrexham (10 miles), and increase line speeds to 90mph (north of Rossett) and 75mph (south of Rossett)
NR says about £45m (but isn't keen to do it) (in 2011).
WG says OK, get on with it.
NR then says sorry, after more research, it'll be £60m.
WG says £45m is the max, what can you do for that?
NR says it can do just the 5 miles between Saltney and Rossett (the "easier" half of the line).
That leaves the southern half up the Gresford bank and over the A483 single track bridge, plus changes at Wrexham north, all untouched.
It turns out NR has also deleted the line speed increases except where they install brand new track.
NR says that will deliver 1tp2h extra services, which would give WG an hourly North-South Wales service.

NR then start the work, in 2 phases, and complete the new track layout, but give up when they find the signal cabling is not adequate to support the new layout.
So the 5-mile redoubling has lain idle for 16 months waiting for new signalling (and level crossing controls) to be commissioned.
The job (despecced twice) should be finished by Easter.

Meanwhile, no firm proposals have been made to run extra trains over the route, and it will have to wait until the new W&B franchise is let in 2018.
Currently there is no stock to run additional trains anyway.
In the meantime the Halton Curve between Frodsham and Runcorn has been approved under a Liverpool scheme, and will also open in 2018.
The expectation is that the W&B franchise will operate trains to Liverpool over this curve, permitting Wrexham-Chester-Liverpool trains if WG want to run them.
But nothing is certain at this stage.

It's quite a saga since WG first committed to fund the upgrade.
In the short term, all that will happen is that existing trains might be retimed slightly to improve performance.
The 5 miles of double track will help service recovery during disruption.

I should also say that there is a parallel scheme to raise line speeds between Shrewsbury and Gobowen from 70mph to 90mph.
The line was upgraded, and new 90mph signs erected ready, but the work was suddenly stopped last year.
I have no idea if/when this upgrade will be finished (it will deliver as much journey time benefit as Saltney-Rossett redoubling).

Last edited:

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Well, I think the story goes something like:

WG asks NR how much to redouble Saltney-Wrexham (10 miles), and increase line speeds to 90mph (north of Rossett) and 75mph (south of Rossett)
NR says about £45m (but isn't keen to do it) (in 2011).
WG says OK, get on with it.
NR then says sorry, after more research, it'll be £60m.
WG says £45m is the max, what can you do for that?
NR says it can do just the 5 miles between Saltney and Rossett (the "easier" half of the line).
That leaves the southern half up the Gresford bank and over the A483 single track bridge, plus changes at Wrexham north, all untouched.
It turns out NR has also deleted the line speed increases except where they install brand new track. ...

thank you for this (to me) excellent summary, which makes a lot of sense of this otherwise long and twisting thread.

So 5 miles was - at least - £45m ? astonishing, since presumably, NR owned all the former track bed?

It would also seem to indicate that, since NR did the easy bit (on the flat) between Saltney and Rossett (which is mostly in England, ironically :)) then
NR got the original quote wrong by a factor of between 3 and 4, since the southern 5 mile stretch includes the bridge over the A483 and the expensive trackwork-signalling around Wrexham.

And all this for .... very little except a few minutes here and there and extra robustness in the case of a timetable getting out of kilter? (Much as that resilience is welcome, I'm sure.)

A further question: is there a speed limit of 70 mph on jointed track nowadays? Or is this just because NR could not, or would not, upgrade those sections of jointed track?

Mind you, as much as NR appear to have seen the Welsh government coming, it would appear that if the government had coordinated their request better, they might have got a bit more value for money?

Thanks again.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
A further question: is there a speed limit of 70 mph on jointed track nowadays? Or is this just because NR could not, or would not, upgrade those sections of jointed track?
Mind you, as much as NR appear to have seen the Welsh government coming, it would appear that if the government had coordinated their request better, they might have got a bit more value for money?

The single track was limited to 60mph (originally 90 before 1960s downgrading), and it included at least 2 sections of jointed track from c1964 (revealed in the consultant's report).
One of these has already gone on the new section, and we live in hope that the other one will have gone when the line reopens.
But the last word on the subject was that the 60mph would stay except where new line had been relayed, and the new junction at Rossett (double to single) will be also be 60mph.
South of Wrexham, the line speed is 70DMU/60 to Shrewsbury, and 70 on to Wolverhampton, despite all the recent work on that line.
So a ride on WG's crack loco-hauled express to Cardiff at the moment involves a leisurely amble at 60mph between Chester and Shrewsbury.

NR did not include any of this upgrade work in its route plans for CP5, treating it as "third party funded".
Now we have a Wales Route, and potentially devolution of CP6 funding to the WG, things are looking a little more joined up.
Another anomaly is that the redoubling project is actually 90% in England, and wholly within the Chester PSB signalling area, so not strictly part of Wales route at all. ;)

Sox

The single track was limited to 60mph (originally 90 before 1960s downgrading), and it included at least 2 sections of jointed track from c1964 (revealed in the consultant's report).
One of these has already gone on the new section, and we live in hope that the other one will have gone when the line reopens....snip

With a twin tracked railway line, does the lower of the individual track speed limits dictate the speed limit for both tracks?

i.e. would a small section of 60mph in one of the tracks lead to the whole of the twin track (new and "old" 90mph) being downgraded to 60mph?

The Informer

I should also say that there is a parallel scheme to raise line speeds between Shrewsbury and Gobowen from 70mph to 90mph.
The line was upgraded, and new 90mph signs erected ready, but the work was suddenly stopped last year.
I have no idea if/when this upgrade will be finished (it will deliver as much journey time benefit as Saltney-Rossett redoubling).

Very soon, work has been ongoing on midweek nights.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
With a twin tracked railway line, does the lower of the individual track speed limits dictate the speed limit for both tracks?
i.e. would a small section of 60mph in one of the tracks lead to the whole of the twin track (new and "old" 90mph) being downgraded to 60mph?

No, it can be tailored to the individual stretch of single line.
The reason for the restriction might not be solely down to jointed track.
The route was in a generally poor state before the upgrade started, and in places might suffer from mining subsidence from the former Gresford colliery.
Level crossings controls are often another problem, but these are being replaced in the current scheme (probably one of the causes of the cost increase).

Sox

No, it can be tailored to the individual stretch of single line.
The reason for the restriction might not be solely down to jointed track.
The route was in a generally poor state before the upgrade started, and in places might suffer from mining subsidence from the former Gresford colliery.
Level crossings controls are often another problem, but these are being replaced in the current scheme (probably one of the causes of the cost increase).

thanks for the response

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I had a quick look at the redoubling project today, at Balderton level crossing.
The new signalling (on the new Up/eastern track) appeared to be switched on.
The level crossing was open, with its upgrade (and Broad Oak's) done last week.
The obstacle detectors were in place.
Green Lane and Pulford crossings are closed this week for their upgrade.
There was a new southbound speed board visible at Rossett, but as it said 60mph for the single track junction, it doesn't tell us anything about speeds on the new stretch.

A couple of pictures:
a) looking south towards Balderton tunnel (where the Duke of Westminster's Drive goes over); new track on the left, existing single line on the right
b) obstacle detector

This is the point where the Duke's 15" gauge Eaton Hall Railway (1896-1946) reached Balderton station on the GWR main line.

Attachments

• IMG_2505.jpg
    IMG_2505.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2506.jpg
    IMG_2506.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

mcmad

60mph is the limit for certain not uncommon sleeper/fastening type when raising linespeed in jointed track, e.g. concrete sleepers with either bullhead rail or most non pandrol clip fastened flatbottom rail.

Sox

Off topic I know but, due to local expertise on this board, I was walking past Tal-y-Cafn station (Llandudno Junction to Betws-y-Coed line) the other day and noticed the track look quite rusted over.

Engineering closure?

krus_aragon

Established Member
Off topic I know but, due to local expertise on this board, I was walking past Tal-y-Cafn station (Llandudno Junction to Betws-y-Coed line) the other day and noticed the track look quite rusted over.

Engineering closure?

There was a line closure due to a fallen tree/landslide, back in February(?). Services south of Junction have been bustituted in the meantime. The current hope is for the line to reopen before the Easter holidays.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The new double track is operational today.
Trains are now using the new 5-mile Up line from Saltney Jn to the new Rossett Jn.
However, line speeds have gone up to 90mph only on a short section of the Down north of Rossett.
It's back to 60mph before the A483 overbridge.
The stretch of jointed track between Balderton and Green Lane is still there.
So, the job is half done, but should at least improve performance between Chester and Shrewsbury.

PS
Dot's Café on Wrexham General station, which closed last August, has reopened as a Gourmet outlet.
So at least you can get a coffee again, if rather more expensive.
Dot's was the last vestige of WSMR's operation (bar the 67s which now often power Gerald).
They've kept the settees.

Last edited:

fflint

Thanks be for the end of the longest smash and grab raid in Welsh history.
I. K. Brunel built the London - Bristol line faster and for less money:).
Do you think they will have the cheek to ask for extra to renew the old jointed track?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.