• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrexham redouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Wrexham.com are reprting that £500,000 had been allocated for the Wrexham North Junction..
http://www.wrexham.com/news/500k-fu...progress-rail-projects-in-wrexham-154072.html

Oh dear. Could this be yet another "Politician intentionally misusing statistics to boost his case and, in this instance, foment nationalist resentment" shock?

Transport Secretary Ken Skates is quoted as saying - I suspect from press release (so no question of mis-quote):
"This is yet another great example of the steps we are taking a (sic) responsible government and again highlights the historic underfunding by the UK Government in our rail network who have spent just 1.5 per cent of their rail infrastructure budget in Wales, despite it accounting for 11 per cent of the track in England and Wales, since 2011."

11 percent of track? Really?

It may, I suppose, represent 11% of route miles (can anyone confirm that at least that is true?) - but 11% of "track" - meaning track miles? I somehow doubt that very much.

And even if it did, does Mr Skates really think any sane human being would argue that the Heart of Wales line (about 90 miles, at its core) should warrant the same investment spending as, say, the 82 miles Euston - Rugby?

EDIT - Just to add, I'm pleased this is going ahead for the sake of Wrexham passengers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
Transport Secretary Ken Skates is quoted as saying - I suspect from press release
Indeed the press release is here:
https://gov.wales/newsroom/transpor...rail-projects-in-wrexham/?status=open&lang=en

Funding to develop and progress rail projects in Wrexham
The Welsh Government is providing Transport for Wales with £500,000 investment to develop and progress important rail infrastructure projects in Wrexham, Transport Secretary Ken Skates has announced.
Monday 06 August 2018

The funding will allow the completion of development work to upgrade the Wrexham North Junction as a priority project.

This will enable improved journey times from Wrexham General station going north, allowing trains to pass through the single line section up to Rossett more quickly, which will also contribute towards enabling increased frequency of services.

The investment is also being used to consider a range of other interventions that can further support increased services. These include improvements to signalling and associated infrastructure as well as level crossings in the area.

Ken Skates said:

“I am delighted Welsh Government investment will support Transport for Wales to develop and progress these vital projects with the aim of increasing the frequency and improving journey times of trains operating through the Wrexham area.

“It is our clear ambition to see improvements for the benefit of rail users and this funding will ascertain what can be delivered for that exact purpose.

“This is yet another great example of the steps we are taking a responsible government and again highlights the historic underfunding by the UK Government in our rail network who have spent just 1.5 per cent of their rail infrastructure budget in Wales, despite it accounting for 11 per cent of the track in England and Wales, since 2011.

“Welsh Government investment is improving transport infrastructure in North Wales and comes on the back of my recent announcement of the development of a new Transport and Business Hub to totally regenerate the area around Wrexham General Station.

“We are delivering a boost to the local economy, stimulating new growth opportunities and building a stronger transport network in the region.”

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Oh dear. Could this be yet another "Politician intentionally misusing statistics to boost his case and, in this instance, foment nationalist resentment" shock?

Transport Secretary Ken Skates is quoted as saying - I suspect from press release (so no question of mis-quote):
"This is yet another great example of the steps we are taking a (sic) responsible government and again highlights the historic underfunding by the UK Government in our rail network who have spent just 1.5 per cent of their rail infrastructure budget in Wales, despite it accounting for 11 per cent of the track in England and Wales, since 2011."

11 percent of track? Really?

It may, I suppose, represent 11% of route miles (can anyone confirm that at least that is true?) - but 11% of "track" - meaning track miles? I somehow doubt that very much.

And even if it did, does Mr Skates really think any sane human being would argue that the Heart of Wales line (about 90 miles, at its core) should warrant the same investment spending as, say, the 82 miles Euston - Rugby?

EDIT - Just to add, I'm pleased this is going ahead for the sake of Wrexham passengers

All part of the tiresome Carwynite give us more £ gives us more powers agenda.

The Wales Route incl mileage in England is about 11% of route miles.

craigybagel

Established Member
Anyone know what exactly there spending it on?
Indeed, that was confusing me too. I can't see how remodeling the junction itself will save much time as everything stops at Wrexham anyway - and it's hard to see big of an improvement over the current 60 MPH limit on the rest of the single track section you'll get for 500k given the curvy and hilly nature of that line.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Indeed, that was confusing me too. I can't see how remodeling the junction itself will save much time as everything stops at Wrexham anyway - and it's hard to see big of an improvement over the current 60 MPH limit on the rest of the single track section you'll get for 500k given the curvy and hilly nature of that line.

Perhaps there large billboards with pictures of Ken Skates on it saying "world class" - train drivers will set the throttle to 11 to get away thereby speeding up services:p

Ships

£500k will get you half a unit of S&C or 500 yards of plain line renewal at a push, you're not going to be getting much there.

driver_m

Established Member
What would they actually want to do to Wrexham North Jn? Other than make the single line a lot shorter by moving it towards Gresford Bank, then what big difference would there be round there?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The original proposal was for a further redoubling of the 2-mile section between the A483 overbridge at Gresford and Wrexham North Jn.
This would leave the 2 miles Rossett-Gresford as single track (includes the A483 bridge, which was only built for single track).
I don't know if there were planned improvements at Wrexham General - it really needs access to P2/3 from the north (or at least reversing facilities in P1), to avoid the shunt via Watery Road loop.
I suppose if the extra trains (eg ex-Liverpool) run through to Shrewsbury this might not be needed.
There was also talk of a "Wrexham North" station, but I think that would be a poor idea, slowing down through services even further.
I guess the £500K is to take this or another scheme to GRIP3.
The job itself sounds like a £20m affair (the recent phase Saltney-Rossett cost at least £45m), depending on what signalling upgrades are necessary at Croesnewydd North Fork box.
Or maybe NR will take the opportunity to move it all to Cardiff ROC, like the recent Connah's Quay-Colwyn Bay resignalling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.