• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrexham/Shrewsbury to Sheffield/Hope Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

button_boxer

Established Member
On Thursday this week I will be travelling from Sheffield to Stockport, then on Friday afternoon I will be dropped off at any of Wrexham/Ruabon/Shrewsbury to travel back to Sheffield. For the return journey (only) I will be accompanied be another passenger who needs to travel one way to Stockport.

I don't know precise timings so can't commit to Advance tickets, and I'd like the option to travel back via Manchester and the stopping Hope Valley service rather than Crewe-Stockport-Sheffield direct as depending on timing I may need to stop short at Bamford.

A basic Shrewsbury-Sheffield single is £41.30, off-peak return the other way is £52.40 which would cover me for the outbound Sheffield-Stockport as well, except that it's restriction 8A so no outward BoJ. Splitting at Stockport gives a rather more reasonable £19.80 (Shrewsbury-Stockport single) + £19.90 (Sheffield-Stockport Off-Peak Return) = £39.70 for me and just the £19.80 for my companion, assuming the Sheffield-Stockport ticket is valid via Manchester and the Hope Valley stopper. Trainsplit suggests Nantwich as a split for Shrewsbury to Sheffield, but I'm not sure how the outward Sheffield to Stockport leg affects things as Sheffield to Nantwich off-peak return is another 8A.

Starting from Ruabon or Wrexham knocks it down a few pounds (£16.90 single to Stockport) at the cost of a longer journey.

Anyone got any better ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
The Sheffield-Stockport ticket is not valid, so far as I can see, for travel via Manchester. But it would be valid for Stockport-New Mills Newtown-walk-New Mills Central-Sheffield if you did need to stop off at Bamford on the way home.

sonic2009

Established Member
Would a Levenshulme-Sheffield ticket be valid via Manchester? Unable to check as away from computer.

Romilly

Established Member
Both NRE and VTEC say that the £21.30 Sheffield-Levenshulme offpeak return is valid via Marple and Manchester Piccadilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.