Writing Improvement help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by STEVIEBOY1, 2 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Established Member

I have always had very bad handwriting and would like to improve it, I have recently been told off at work about this again. Does anyone have any suggestions, I did bring this forward on a thread once before, but can not find it now.

2. GrimsbyPacer

GrimsbyPacer Established Member

The best advice I can give is ask a friend (who uses same side hand as you) who writes to do some handwriting in front of you and try copying their hand movements. Copying is how we learn to write, speak, walk etc. There might be a Youtube video too.

I never learned handwriting until I had too for signing documents.
    It's better slow and correct than fast and wrong.
    I'd did get a notebook and tried handwriting my name again and again til I was happy. Maybe something similar will help you?

3. DaleCooper

DaleCooper Established Member

Rather than relying on a friend you would do better to obtain something like this and then just practise, practise, practise...

http://www.startwrite.com/graphics/fonts-italic.jpg

or google "italic handwriting practise sheets" or similar.

Lined paper is useful to help you construct the letters.

4. Puffing Devil

Puffing Devil Member

I find a thicker pen helps cover up my appalling handwriting. I use an ink pen with a broad italic nib when I can, otherwise fibre tipped pens or .7mm Gel Pens - Pilot G2 are good.

5. STEVIEBOY1

Thanks, I do use an ink pen with a broader nib rather than a ball point when I can. I will search further on the net and try and do this for an hour two each day. (Mind you it feels a bit like doing "Lines" from my school days!)

6. DaleCooper

DaleCooper Established Member

That's exactly how I learnt it at primary school (and using a cheap ball point) but if you really want to improve there's no short cut.

7. Domh245

Domh245 Established Member

Just to add that practice makes permanence! I hadn't written anything down for almost a week prior to today, and then when I sat my exam, it looked like an inked-spider has been let loose on the paper at first. After a few minutes, it started to become legible again!

8. STEVIEBOY1

I have just remembered one writing exercise we used to do, it is has every letter of the English alphabet in it;

"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog".

9. asharpe

asharpe Member

My writing can be terrible if I don't take care. A few tips I have from my experience:

• Use a thick pen - I use a Stabilo Easy Ball.
    • Print your letters, don't join up any letter pairs until you have had a lot of practice - it will make you speed up and reduce your quality.
    • Try drawing a row of letter sized circle on some line paper, try and get the circles round, the same size and the same spacing. If you find that a challenge then practice that for a few weeks, it will get your hand more used to delicate movements without you having to think about the letter forms - you can also practice this while doing something else.
    • Work at a desk with a chair at the right height and space for your arm to rest.
    • Don't use thick notebooks (especially small ones) - your muscles will tighten up if you need to lift your hand of the desk/paper to be able to write. Remember the muscles that control your fingers are located in your arm.

good luck

Last edited: 4 Jun 2015
  10. STEVIEBOY1

Thank you, that is very helpful advice indeed.

11. ATW Alex 101

ATW Alex 101 Established Member

Try printing in capital letters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.