• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Writing of 24-hour clock times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stut

Established Member
Yes and no. They both mean midnight, but the implication is key: 0:00 comes before 0:01 and 24:00 comes after 23:59. Distinguishing between the two is key to understanding which day is meant by which, and that's pretty standard international notation.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I've seen it on WTTs as Dstock says, not seen it much on permanent NR TT's though. Buses round here use the 24hr clock, bar the Wiltshire timetables which uses 12 hour times and is confusing for me!!

I have seen the Bristol Airport bus uses 0000 for one or two departures though (one is from Temple Meads IIRC)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've seen thing like 2430 for replacement buses running late into the night before, which just looked weird.

Personally, I like writing the time in a post on a forum, a text or whatever in the same manner railway timetables do. Just grown up with it like that. The only time I change my manner of writing it is when I'm at work and signing out equipment with the time I've picked it up. Then I'll added a colon between the hour, minutes and seconds. Yes I even add the seconds just to be a bit different and for more proof it's me taking it/returning it.

I don't think I've ever had any problem with reading the timetable with no colon in the middle of the times. Now if we were talking about lack of clarity in many timetables (lack of boldness for station calls or too similar to the style for passing/connecting times), that would be a different story!

Trog

Established Member
The BR system of ignoring midnight by going for 23:59 or 00:01 also has the benefit of avoiding the 00:00 or 24:00 argument.

The look on the face of the new bloke ex-Army, Navy, etc. laying down the law on how midnight should be written, when you tell him that there is no such time as midnight, on the railway is always worth watching as well.

LE Greys

Established Member
The XXXXh formation is useful in text messaging because it saves pressing the 1 button numerous times until you find a colon. Other than that, it's probably best avoided. I've also often seen things such as "xx:xx" coming up here because of the smiley problem. I developed a system of using a three-dotted colon between hours and minutes and a two-dotted colon between minutes and seconds to distinguish them - but that's impossible with a modern keyboard (easy enough with a pen though). Nearest I can get is 12⁞34:56.78, meaning twelve hours, thirty-four minutes, fifty-six point seven eight seconds.

Of course, the twenty-four hour clock is rare in some places, especially the USA. I remember once asking which platform the 13:15 left from and getting a blank stare.

ReverendFozz

I remember seeing a picture of a bus timetable recently, think it was somewhere in Washington, the first bus was advertised as going at 0767, just a typo though, still it made me laugh, I am so easily amused.

When I deal with time, I dont like using the 24 hour clock, I very rarely write the time in the 24hr format e.g. I will write 8pm or 8:00pm instead of 2000, only thing I use a 24 hr clock format on is my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.