• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Written communication tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

superhands

I have got an assessment day coming up soon with southern, and I just want to know a bit more about written communication test?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

james956

A series of pictures which show a scenario. The scenario explains the situation in simple terms and all you have to do is write a brief report as if you were writing it to your manager about what happened in the scenario. It's really simple and you just need to make sure you get the relevant points in as it is timed.

superhands

Thanks for that. Can you remember any of the pictures, I am just a bit worried as my spelling is not to strong.

james956

I think the idea of the test is that you get down the relevant points and as long as someone could read it and understand what you are saying I don't think you need to worry to much about the spelling. My handwriting is far from neat but I passed it.

TDK

Established Member
Thanks for that. Can you remember any of the pictures, I am just a bit worried as my spelling is not to strong.

Make sure it is neat and clear, if you are worried do the report in capital letters because if the assessor cannot read it you will fail the test.

redbutton

There is an example in the practice materials you were sent with your assessment invitation. The test is exactly like the practice materials.

The pictures form a comic strip version of events (e.g. you were going to the doctor for an appointment, but the bus got delayed by a traffic accident, so you were late for your appointment) which you need to explain in whatever format you want.

So, you could write it like a report, or you could just do bullet points of what happened at each stage of the journey. All that matters is that it's in logical order (One thing happened, which led to another thing, which led to the result) and that the assessor can understand your writing.

Dynamonic

Some TOCs may not even require you to do a Written Comunication Test now, as it is no longer a compulsory OPC test, and is now up to individual TOCs whether you have to sit it. (It has a very high pass rate apparantly)

I recently sat my assessments with East Midlands Trains, and although I received practice material for the Written Communication Test, and practiced it, we were told on the day that we wouldn't have to sit it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it got dropped entirely soon, or replaced by another test.

Having said that, it's still best to practice it just in-case you have to sit it, especially if you've been told already that you will sit it.

It'll certainly not be the most challenging test you will have to sit in the assessment process.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.