• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrong departure station on Northern's amazing £10 newspaper offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnkleBoots

Northern £10 newspaper offer.

It is quite a faff to log in, input your details, download a pdf and then print it, especially if you don't have a printer at home. So I plan to print a few in advance based on where I think I might be on a particular day.

Has anyone managed to buy the ticket from the wrong station (ie not the one nominated as the departure station on the form)?

(I was going to post this on the other thread but it went in a different direction)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Every time, I complete my departure station as {the unstaffed station closest to me} because that IS where I will likely start. Yet, as required, I buy the ticket at one of several staffed stations, usually in advance but occasionally for immediate use. It doesn't appear to make any difference to the ticket/issue. Every one has borne the actual place of purchase as the only station name on it.

John B

I have bought two so far both at Dewsbury. The first one I stated Dewsbury as the nominated departure station although in practice I never used it from Dewsbury. Yesterday I stated Leeds as the departure station. It was not queried on either occasion. Probably it's there just to give Northern an idea of how many are being sold in different areas. The tokens give the name of the newspaper so the same sort of information can be obtained.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
It won't matter.

At Sheffield, even with its infamous special rules on ticketing that haven't spread anywhere else, i once handed over an old form with the dates struck though and penned over with the correct ones as the online form to produce another wasn't working. They didn't bat an eyelid.

I suspect they're only bothered about the vouchers being genuine.

johntea

Established Member
It is interesting how in the age of 'smart' ticketing how this offer still relies on you cutting out newspaper coupons and taking a form to a staffed station (despite the readership of many of the papers likely to be living in the surrounding areas with unstaffed stations!)

Kite159

Veteran Member
It is interesting how in the age of 'smart' ticketing how this offer still relies on you cutting out newspaper coupons and taking a form to a staffed station (despite the readership of many of the papers likely to be living in the surrounding areas with unstaffed stations!)

It's a way of temporary boosting sales of the local newspapers* in the hope some might convert into paying for the newspaper on a regular basis

(* Or in this area adverts with the odd news story about how Doris from number 43 had her wheelie bin stolen during the night)

John B

I have used this offer twice. Therefore six tokens equals six newspapers bought also confirming why I don't usually but local newspapers six times. Ticket is excellent value though. Today Leeds to Carlisle, then Carlisle to Lancaster via Cumbria coastline then Lancaster to Leeds via Bentham etc. Just over 10 hours.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I live a little bit outside the area of any of the newspapers that print the tokens. So I plan to just get a train to nearest town where I can buy a copy of the correct paper and get the tokens.

Does anyone know if it is OK to just use a load of tokens from the same day's paper (ie say go and buy 12 copies of the paper on the same day and stick those vouchers on, to get for example 4 days worth of travel under the offer) or is it necessary to have 3 vouchers from the different consecutive dates listed here? :

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/newspaper-offer/341-participating-papers-jpimedia

AnkleBoots

The vouchers are only dated "Summer 2019" so anything goes (as long as you don't use Summer 2018)

Harpers Tate

Established Member
It's what I always do - as I have no interest at all in reading the papers; they just go directly to recycling. Nothing in the T&C about different papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.