• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrong railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacky

I recently ordered two advance single tickets through the Train line however I selected the wrong railcard (26-30 as opposed to 16-25). Because they are advanced single tickets they say they cannot amend them and would have to purchase new tickets at todays price (twice the price now). Given that both railcards offer the same discount can I still travel on the tickets?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Contact the train company you're travelling with (eg on Twitter, which generally gets quick responses).

What's your journey? Companies like Virgin, Chiltern and Transpennine Express are more likely to help you out, in my experience.

Jacky

Contact the train company you're travelling with (eg on Twitter, which generally gets quick responses).

What's your journey? Companies like Virgin, Chiltern and Transpennine Express are more likely to help you out, in my experience.
I'm travelling with Hull Trains. I have emailed them but says a 10 day response time so DMd them on Twitter too. Travel on Thursday so hopefully the respond!

gazthomas

Established Member
In my experience you should be okay, make sure you speak with the guard/train manager before you get on and they're generally accommodating. That said, if they can fix this before you travel then that would be the best result. Good luck.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm travelling with Hull Trains. I have emailed them but says a 10 day response time so DMd them on Twitter too. Travel on Thursday so hopefully the respond!
They're one of the better companies when it comes to customer service ime. In the event you're unsuccessful resolving it over social media, I'll echo Gaz's advice above - speak to the guard before you board - HT's guards are decent.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I agree with what others have said in that you'll probably be ok.

For future reference don't purchase ticket through trainline as they're never cheaper, despite their fancy advertising, because they add a booking fee. Contrary to popular they don't have access to a secret stash of cheaper tickets either! Book using a train company website as they're not allowed to charge a booking fee. All train company websites sell each others tickets and sometimes they'll have a special offer tickets valid on their own trains (like Northern's 10p offer last week).

father_jack

I'm not in a situation to check but I believe as a result of various TIS (ticket issuing systems) being unable to process the 26-30 discount the 16-25 marker is acceptable as 26-30. So I think you may be vaild anyway.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I'm not in a situation to check but I believe as a result of various TIS (ticket issuing systems) being unable to process the 26-30 discount the 16-25 marker is acceptable as 26-30. So I think you may be vaild anyway.
Read the first post again...

jamiearmley

Although you are absolutely correct, and indeed the 26-30 railcard states on it to claim the 16-25 discount if the 26-30 does not appear, they do have slightly different conditions of use. A few people I know have been penalty fared for using 16-25 rather than 26-30 for the discount, reason being 26-30 has the minimum fare before 10am in July and August and the 16-25 doesn't. As always, pays to read the terms and conditions I guess!

paddington

Although you are absolutely correct, and indeed the 26-30 railcard states on it to claim the 16-25 discount if the 26-30 does not appear, they do have slightly different conditions of use. A few people I know have been penalty fared for using 16-25 rather than 26-30 for the discount, reason being 26-30 has the minimum fare before 10am in July and August and the 16-25 doesn't. As always, pays to read the terms and conditions I guess!

My 26-30 used to say "Valid with 16-25 and 26-30 tickets" in the app, but it doesn't any more.

I accidentally did this last week, fat fingers pressed 16-25 rather than 26-30 on the ticket machine, but I thought it would be fine as I remembered seeing that wording in the app.

As it turns out I had to swap a journey before 10am with one after 10am at the last minute due to a delay, but I wasn't thinking about that as I had 20 minutes to run between the Wakefield stations without knowing the way (having never been there before).

When I got on the train I realised my discounted ticket which I had intended to use after 10am was not valid at this time, then I checked my railcard app and it no longer says valid with 16-25 tickets, so I was prepared to have to buy a new ticket, but the guard didn't ask for railcards or even read the stations on my ticket, so I "got away" with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.