• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrong ticket being sold for Irish ferries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting thing happened last week. I took sailrail from Dublin Ferryport back to England, using the Dublin Swift boat in the morning. Tickets bought at a UK station.

But they sold me the wrong ticket -- they sold me the cheaper one which isn't valid on the Swift, but only on the slower boat. Im surprised this could happen, since it even includes a seat reservation for the Swift. Luckily nobody at Dublin checked.

The relevant rule is 'Only tickets routed HLYHEAD SWIFT will be valid on Irish Ferries Dublin Swift sailings' but it seems everyone's ignoring it. I wonder if Irish Ferries are being robbed of some revenue this way?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
It's likely to be an issue about the routeing or quotas attached to the different ferry services in retail systems, thus allowing incorrect reservations to be made. If Irish Ferries are aware of this they would have every right to claim any lost revenue from the responsible TOC (which is probably the TfW TOC).

It's quite striking -- I have a ticket with restriction code 6L which includes "Not valid on Dublin Swift services" and another coupon which is the reservation for a Dublin Swift service!

Given that fare evasion is a strict liability issue, I wonder if I technically broke the law when travelling, even though I had a printed itinerary they gave me, etc?

As much as I don't want to do down TC, I'm going to write to them and Irish Ferries to let them know.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
It's quite striking -- I have a ticket with restriction code 6L which includes "Not valid on Dublin Swift services" and another coupon which is the reservation for a Dublin Swift service!

Given that fare evasion is a strict liability issue, I wonder if I technically broke the law when travelling, even though I had a printed itinerary they gave me, etc?

As much as I don't want to do down TC, I'm going to write to them and Irish Ferries to let them know.
If you are offered a particular itinerary with a particular ticket, it is valid and strict liability doesn't come into it. Not to mention that the Railway Byelaws understandably don't apply on ships!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you are offered a particular itinerary with a particular ticket, it is valid and strict liability doesn't come into it. Not to mention that the Railway Byelaws understandably don't apply on ships!

In any case as you can't board a ferry without your ticket being checked you would either be refused boarding or would have authority from an Authorised Person, so the Byelaw offence cannot be committed.

robbeech

Established Member

But does that rule apply on ships. The railway byelaws don’t so does the ‘having an itinerary makes it valid’ rule apply?
It certainly doesn’t on other transport. Does the link with the railway as part of a combined ticket make this rule apply? What other rules are carried over and which ones aren’t ?

janb

This has been a problem with the booking systems for ages. I reported it to the old ATW franchise to give you an idea of timescales. I know the Man in Seat 61 has raised it at least a couple of times as well. Nothing seems to happen to fix it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.