• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WSMR Struggling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris B

WSMR sent me a promotional email today - seems as all their fares are now £24 Standard, £55 First Class singles.....from anywhere on their route.

Check their website.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
What were they before?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were struggling. Wrexham is hardly the highlight of the country.

Chris B

Can't remember precisely - but the £24 Standard single only got you between Tame Bridge Parkway and London....

kestrel

its been like that for a while past few weeks anyway, £24 marylebone-wexham booked 48hrs before, 1st class was £55 same journey8)

barrykas

Established Member
Wrexham and Shropshire are steadily building momentum on the weekday services, and with the ongoing WCML Engineering Work they're making a killing at weekends with most trains full and standing on arrival at, and departure from, Marylebone, primarily with passengers from Telford and Shrewsbury.

Cheers,

Barry

Chris B

Wrexham and Shropshire are steadily building momentum on the weekday services, and with the ongoing WCML Engineering Work they're making a killing at weekends with most trains full and standing on arrival at, and departure from, Marylebone, primarily with passengers from Telford and Shrewsbury.

I wonder how many are travelling on WSMR-specific tickets though? Because their take via the Rail Settlement Plan won't be sufficient to cover the income in their buisiness plan.

Snapper

Established Member
WSMR are in it for the long-haul. A lot of their marketing has had to be put on hold until their own stock is ready. This has affected passenger numbers. But they are determined to grow the business. And they have sound backers.

barrykas

Established Member
WSMR are in it for the long-haul. A lot of their marketing has had to be put on hold until their own stock is ready. This has affected passenger numbers. But they are determined to grow the business. And they have sound backers.

And, unlike certain other parties we could mention, they've actually got sufficient (temporary) stock to operate the full advertised service (though it has been known for the trains to be spun at Banbury in the event of late running), albeit with an eclectic set of formations, from the advertised 2 SOs + RFM, to 2 FOs + RFM, and SO + FO + RFM.

Cheers,

Barry

glynn80

Established Member
I travelled on the 1217 on Saturday and it was nearly full and standing in Standard Class, I'd say approximately 1/2 of Coach B was filled with reservations signalling WSMR specific tickets meaning 1/4 of Standard Class using WSMR specific tickets which isn't too bad seeing as they would be getting 100% of the revenue on those tickets compared with an ORCATS % on the Any Permitted tickets.

As a side not also their buffet is THE best I have sampled in all areas. I had a Sausage sandwich and Fanta. The Sausage sandwich was brilliant and was not a bland supermarket sausage but was properly seasoned and tasted delicious, this was served on a china plate with knifes and forks (not really necessary for my sandwich but nice anyway) and the best bit the price of only £2.00, even in my local cafe it is £2.20 for the same and with on train food this is brilliant value. The Fanta was reasonable also at 99p which was 30p cheaper than in the WH Smith at the station!

Galvanize

I tried WSMR myself the other week, because i was bored at home :lol:

So caught the 1317 from Marylebone, to Tame Bridge parkway and back. To be fair the train wasn't full and standing, but it wasn't totally empty! Quite relaxing really, passing along the scenic chiltern mainline in a comfortable mark 3 coach, instead of hurtling along the busy WCML where there is a more hurried rush, on a cramped sweaty pendo :(

I was a bit fraustrated by the long 60mph section beyond Risborough, to Bicester, though this is no way WSMR's fault. If NR can raise it to 90mph at least, then it will improve journey times a bit. The catering let me down sadly, as they'd run out of any decent hot food :( I'll spare them the negative comment, until i do get to try it out, which i hope will be good, as most other people have given it positive comments! :)

After an hour or so in Tame Bridge Parkway (the most random station!), caught the 1645 back, which turned up about 8 minutes down, and was formed of the FOx2 and RFM set. Quite a lovely run back down to London in the declassified FC accomodation, we were stopped at B'ham international for nearly 15 minutes, to let a Pendo, then a Crosscountry service bound for Bomo ahead of us!

At Banbury, I noticed the boss Andy Hamilton standing on the platform. Just before departure, someone boarded the train at the set down only location, but the guard noticed them, and walked through the train to evict them!

"Excuse me Madam, you can't board this train!"
"Why not?"
"It is set down only i'm afraid. Says so on the board!"
"But it's going to London Marylebone right?
"Yes but you cannot board it, there is a Marylebone train in 4 minutes from the same platform! Sorry!"

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
At Banbury, I noticed the boss Andy Hamilton standing on the platform. Just before departure, someone boarded the train at the set down only location, but the guard noticed them, and walked through the train to evict them!

"Excuse me Madam, you can't board this train!"
"Why not?"
"It is set down only i'm afraid. Says so on the board!"
"But it's going to London Marylebone right?
"Yes but you cannot board it, there is a Marylebone train in 4 minutes from the same platform! Sorry!"

To be honest, it would probably be best if it wasn't advertised on the boards at all, and an announcement made stating that it isn't in public use, or something along those lines.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I was a bit fraustrated by the long 60mph section beyond Risborough, to Bicester, though this is no way WSMR's fault. If NR can raise it to 90mph at least, then it will improve journey times a bit.

Unlikely it will get to 90, the embankments just cant handle heavy locos. 75 is more likely. WSMR are actually way under their contracted journey time anyway, I think its as high as 4 hr 25 or 30.

After an hour or so in Tame Bridge Parkway (the most random station!), caught the 1645 back, which turned up about 8 minutes down, and was formed of the FOx2 and RFM set. Quite a lovely run back down to London in the declassified FC accomodation, we were stopped at B'ham international for nearly 15 minutes, to let a Pendo, then a Crosscountry service bound for Bomo ahead of us!

Cov - Leamington doing that, XCs and Freightliners make it difficult to path anything down there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Galvanize

Unlikely it will get to 90, the embankments just cant handle heavy locos. 75 is more likely. WSMR are actually way under their contracted journey time anyway, I think its as high as 4 hr 25 or 30.
Ahh, 75mph seems alright i suppose. Seeing as the need for a 2nd 67 on the rear will soon be dropped once the DVTs are ready, i suppose that removes some strain from the embankments?

Last edited by a moderator:

TDK

Established Member
What were they before?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were struggling. Wrexham is hardly the highlight of the country.

I think you will find the service calls at a few stations on the way, I think the majority of the passengers get on at Gobowen, Shrewsbury, Wellington and Telford.

barrykas

Established Member
To be honest, it would probably be best if it wasn't advertised on the boards at all, and an announcement made stating that it isn't in public use, or something along those lines.

It shouldn't be advertised at all. Certainly the Banbury and Wolverhampton calls are marked up in the TSDB as pick up/set down only (as appropriate), and those at Birmingham International/New Street (for pathing reasons) as Not Advertised.

Cheers,

Barry

Galvanize

Or have the board simply say "Terminates here" as i believe they do at watford Junction for Pendo services!

Chris B

I travelled on the 1217 on Saturday and it was nearly full and standing in Standard Class, I'd say approximately 1/2 of Coach B was filled with reservations signalling WSMR specific tickets meaning 1/4 of Standard Class using WSMR specific tickets

Sorry, but that's completely false assumptions - these services appear in the National Timetable and can therefore be booked on by using any nationally-available ticket! A reservation could be any ticket, not just their own....

Galvanise: I was a bit fraustrated by the long 60mph section beyond Risborough, to Bicester, though this is no way WSMR's fault. If NR can raise it to 90mph at least, then it will improve journey times a bit.

Eh? Risborough to Bicerster North is cleared for 100mph clubmans - so it must be the locos that WSMR use which are restricted, not the line itself.

Barrykas: It shouldn't be advertised at all. Certainly the Banbury and Wolverhampton calls are marked up in the TSDB as pick up/set down only (as appropriate), and those at Birmingham International/New Street (for pathing reasons) as Not Advertised.

The poster hasn't been to Banbury & stood on the platform - the southbound WSMR trains do NOT appear on the departure boards, nor are they advertised by any announcements. The occasional 'stand clear, this train is not for boarding' is not made often enough, possibly.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Eh? Risborough to Bicerster North is cleared for 100mph clubmans - so it must be the locos that WSMR use which are restricted, not the line itself

The line has a restricted speed for locos.

AlexS

Established Member
This for a line that used to have King locomotives thrashing along it on 14 and 15 coach express trains. Another BR neglect story I feel.

The train should in theory be shown on arrivals boards - at Wolverhampton it says 'Not for public use - this is the service from Wrexham General' on the scrolling platform boards.

Chris B

The train should in theory be shown on arrivals boards - at Wolverhampton it says 'Not for public use - this is the service from Wrexham General' on the scrolling platform boards.

Indeed - Banbury doesn't have any....

glynn80

Established Member
Sorry, but that's completely false assumptions - these services appear in the National Timetable and can therefore be booked on by using any nationally-available ticket! A reservation could be any ticket, not just their own....

Yes I do realise they are bookable in RJIS but it is probably a small % that actually do decide to get a reservation with their tickets, only an assumption of course but I'd say one pretty correct in general.

Chris B

Yes I do realise they are bookable in RJIS but it is probably a small % that actually do decide to get a reservation with their tickets, only an assumption of course but I'd say one pretty correct in general.

Where on earth do you get that premise from?

With the advent of online booking, where you get reservations by default, I would heartily suggest that it isa ctually just the opposite!

btw - in the current issue of the RailStaff newspaper, it states that WSMRs next project isfor Liverpool - Glasgow trains.

David

Established Member
If he's talking about non-AP fares, then he's right. You don't automatically get a reservation with them, even if booking online.

Chris B

When did you last book one then?

Because you do these days, if the train is reservable - and has done for sometime. Just observe all the reservations on FGW....that aren't taken up. And CrossCountry.

Try a saver on either TOC....

will1337

I don't quite seem to understand the pricing policy. The Advance tickets appear to be more expensive than Savers on a few journeys and not a great deal less Wrexham - London. The difference in Saver prices to London of Wrexham and Telford also appear to be more than the price of a Saver between the two places.

Chris B

Agree there - anddon't forget a Chiltern super off-peak isvalid to Tame Bridge P...

glynn80

Established Member
When did you last book one then?

Because you do these days, if the train is reservable - and has done for sometime. Just observe all the reservations on FGW....that aren't taken up. And CrossCountry.

Try a saver on either TOC....

I believe on the Elgar style tickets you got an automatic reservation and so if you book online and get the tickets posted you would get a reservation. But if you ToD and collect at the station on a non-AP ticket you wouldn't get an automatic reservation.

will1337

It's also valid back within a month and you can get one through from your station if in London, unlike with their fares. Splitting at TAB can make it cheaper still.

Status
Not open for further replies.