• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WSMR to finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dampflok

I got a message from one of my contacts at WSMR just before 23:00, 25th January, to say that the company has folded and that the last train will run on Friday 28th January, possibly the 18:30 from Marylebone.

I don't know what has happened, maybe DB has pulled the operation, presumably further information will be available later today. The W&S website is still up, but there is a "test" news message dated the 25th January, so maybe that will go live later today.

Whatever the reason, it is very sad news, as the railway was one of the best around for many years and its workforce a wonderful bunch of people, who presumably are now out of their jobs. I, and I'm sure many others, feel deeply for them as they've done a great job. Let's hope their talents can be recognised elsewhere within the railway industry.

Whether Chiltern will take on any of the crews and take over any running of the trains remains to be seen.

Thanks for trying and commiserations to all at WSMR...

Sadly, Geoff

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ticket Man

That is bad news, never had the chance to ride with WSMR, if it turns out to be true, ill defo be making a trip on them this week!

anthony263

Established Member
Luckily i had a trip on them shortly before christmas. The main problem i think for them was the cost, especially since they were using loco hauled stock. maybe they would have been better using class 168's

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sad but not unexpected if true. Hope the staff can find employment elsewhere soon.

RichW1

Gutting. The only way to get to Shrewsbury profitably looks like through the centre of Birmingham. Very sad.

Crossover

Established Member
Rumors are rife at the moment - there have been a number of comments on the Facebook page too - we will have to see what morning brings, but echoing others views, it will be sad to see the end of them.

I did get a journey on them from Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton a couple of years ago, before the coaching stock was refurbed, and it was a pleasant journey (compared to ATW 158 (:shock:) or LM on the line)

anthony263

Established Member
Rumors are rife at the moment - there have been a number of comments on the Facebook page too - we will have to see what morning brings, but echoing others views, it will be sad to see the end of them.

I did get a journey on them from Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton a couple of years ago, before the coaching stock was refurbed, and it was a pleasant journey (compared to ATW 158 (:shock:) or LM on the line)

its a pity that wrexham & shropshire were not allowed to pick up at wolverhampton etc as this may have brought more money into the business

RPM

Established Member
Painful, disappointing and depressing news, but from what I can gather at this ungodly time of the morning, it seems to be true. :(

RichW1

Well, welcome to the unfortunate club Skip10 :( I wish you all the luck inthe world as that news is just gutting; really gutting.

Skip 10

Well, welcome to the unfortunate club Skip10 :( I wish you all the luck inthe world as that news is just gutting; really gutting.

Thanks for that fella. it could be worse for me there are people there, who both the bread winners are WSMR employee's

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Very sad news, a real blow for passengers. Unlike many TOCs, Wrexham and Shropshire actually seemed to care about customers with their excellent service, catering and immaculate trains, something which seems to have fallen rather out of fashion on the railways thesedays. I wish all the staff luck in finding alternative work, I realise it must be a difficult time for you all.

anthony263

Established Member
I wish the staff who have worked so hard to try and make this a sucessful venture good luck and hope they can find new employment.

sahme really that this has happened as i would say in my opinion that wrexham & shropshire are the best rail operator in the uk , most of which is again down to the members of staff who i cannot praise enough.

EWS 58038

I remember that ATW wanted to run a service to Marylebone last year... (using a 158)

I think that if they file a request to the ORR they might have a good chance to get the service up and running this summer.

fgwrich

Established Member
Commiserations to all involved, Wrexham was one of the few TOC’s I was looking forward to travelling on – and the few times i've met some of the staff at Marylebone – When either waiting for friends or just having a look around, you were always some of the few worth talking too… Very sorry to hear about this indeed!

If it’s any consolation, good luck if you can find any jobs out there – I know it’s difficult enough as it is, but at least you’ve got a fair amount of experience…

W-on-Sea

Established Member
A great pity - WSMR were in a different class to, well, all the other operators in fact.
(I can't help thinking....would allowing their trains to run on sensible paths that didn't dawdle endlessly around the W Mids have made the difference? It certainly couldn't have done any harm. But open access operators are seemingly bottom of the pile when it comes to such things...)

Thanks to all those who made it what it was, and I hope that new employment will rapidly beckon to all those who will be laid off.

Aictos

Established Member
Bloody good job I used them about 2 years ago then! Shame as it really made a big difference to the railway industry and also to the good people of the route of which it served.

wensley

Established Member
A shame to see a good and innovative service lost. Most importantly it is a real shame that so many jobs will be lost when the company ceases to be :( All the best to all the staff at WSMR - a top job since services began :D

Oliver

A shame to see a good and innovative service lost. Most importantly it is a real shame that so many jobs will be lost when the company ceases to be :( All the best to all the staff at WSMR - a top job since services began :D

Yes, it's a great shame. Look at their website: http://www.wrexhamandshropshire.co.uk/

Scroll down to "In the News". There is a dummy release dated 25th Jan. Looks like they're about to issue a statement.

sprinterguy

Established Member
:cry::cry: That's terrible news. Farewell to my favourite train operator, they really managed to set a standard way above the norm, it's so sad that things haven't worked out for them. I'm glad I had the opportunity to travel on their trains so often, I was just starting to think about my next trip with W&S: I suppose it won't happen now :cry:

My condolances to the 60 staff who have been made redundant. Good luck with the job search at this difficult time.

wensley

Established Member
1P01 delayed this morning "due to a member of the train crew being unavailable". This service will apparently start from Leamington Spa, and has not called at Wrexham, Gobowen, Shrewsbury, Telford, Cosford and Tame Bridge Parkway.

Failed Unit

Established Member
My sympathy to everyone involved. I suspect that the gods decided that using the stock was more profitable on Chiltern and WAG services (when the 2nd one starts). It is a pity because they were so close to getting away from the moderation of competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.