• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WSMR & West Mids Day Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes they do accept it. I have used it before on WSMR before with no problems. Valid between Gobowen and Tamebridge Parkway for WSMR services.

ChrisMcFall

Cheers guys!
Now just need to make a decent plan of how to make the most of it really. Taking the new EOS out on its first outing too.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I can confirm it is valid, did Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury in August 2008 and Wolverhampton to Cosford on 3rd January 2009 on a WMDR both times.

ChrisMcFall

Cheers guys!
Anyone really know the best way to tackle a WMDR? I'll be starting early on a sunday and hoping to get a lot in.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
What do you need/want to do on it? Bear in mind Sundays are terrible for rail travel anywhere! Should still be a fair bit for you to do on it though.

Also remember the WMDR is not valid on Virgin Trains.

ChrisMcFall

Wouldnt mind getting the snow hill lines in, as i've never gone past LGG..and some WSMR. Anything apart from that would be good, possibly getting anything interesting in that I can..but i know there isnt much interesting traction around there really.
Now that the 350/2s are out...it's probably going to be hard to find a 321 running around.
Well..It's gonna be hard to find a LM service thats actually running :P

Established Member
Its not valid on Virgin trains but i asked the TM if i could use it and he said yes, basicly if you need to be somewhere fast then just hope you get the one that has no idea what a WMDR is or where it can be used, ive heard bashers have used them in wales before and they`ve got away with it

ChrisMcFall

It depends really. I've been asked by an ATW and WSMR guard where I am going to, (I was valid on that service to a certain point)
But i've just showed the ticket to Virgin guards before and just got a "cheers mate!"

That is of course...*when* you see a Virgin guard...which is a pretty rare occasion.

snuk

I only re-discovered the West Mids Day Ranger a couple of days ago - we used to buy them a few times every year when I was younger and I loved our days out.

I was thinking about treating myself to a day out using a WMDR - and quite fancied the idea of travelling from Nuneaton to Crewe on a Pendolino - as I've never been on one before :oops: but if there's a chance that Virgin won't accept one it might be best not to chance it.

Steve.

Established Member
ask the TM before you get on just say "is it ok if i use this, on this service" ive done it twice on virgin and theyve said "yeah fine mate" same with WSMR i dont think they mind just as long as you dont take the p and end up in holyhead or somewhere off the rangers limit

Status
Not open for further replies.