• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WSXFan's Fotopic site overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi all.

For the benefit of anyone who looks at my Fotopic site, I've changed the name of my secondary gallery on it now, to something much easier to remember: http://fgwfan.fotopic.net . It shall no longer just feature shots of HSTs as previously, but now will include the bundle of shots of the North Wales 57 trip I made in December as of later today.

I do also plan to make a massive change to my Fotopic site, in order to bring it into 2006. To do this, I appear to need to shift a lot of the older/worse pictures from there.

This is where I need your advising. If anyone could find a few minutes to browse through and see what really doesn't belong on there anymore, I'd appreciate it. I'm considering binning all shots from 2004 on there, apart from the Anglo-Welsh-Scottish collection (which I WILL finish eventually!), but is this a good idea?

Any ideas on how to improve the Fotopic version of the Wigan CRDC that is my Fotopic site will be welcomed. Whether I implement the ideas is another thing, but let's see. I do already plan to, and will have probably done so by the time some of you read this, get rid of the eBay auction photos.

Over to you guys, especially those with good Fotopic collections, for ideas and comments. The gallery, the main one, is http:/julianwhitby4769.fotopic.net

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
Lets start with a question....whats your Fotopic site for?

If it is primarily for safe storage of your photos, then put whatever you want on the site and arrange it however you want. If you think any of the images are rubbish, so will the vast majority of other people. Bin them (unless they have some special personal or historic interest then consider retaining them). Do not expect anyone to get enthused by carp.

If the site is for generally sharing images of the railway scene with like minded enthusiasts, make sure shots are of interest (remembering that different people have different passions) and they are of acceptable quality. Again, bin the rubbish, particularly weeding out those which have already been done to death (37's running round at Rhymney, HST's on the blocks and other common scenes which can be found anywhere).

If the site is aimed at documenting specific features of the railway (Wessex Trains for example!!), the site must reflect this - use a suitable theme and make sure the subjects being shown are relevant and arranged logically.

If the site is for exhibiting your photographic (or image editing) skills retain only those shots which are technically good, no matter what the subject (IMO it is more satisfying to look at good shots of what are often mundane subjects than poor shots of subjects I am more passionate about).

Regarding site layout, I personally prefer dated collections with reference to the main subject in the title collection. I also consider captioning of images to be very important, not just as background to the who / what / why / where / when but also as photos may provide inspiration regarding places to visit and locations to shoot from.

Take note of visitors comments and ratings. Unless it is personal, then if these are left it is because the visitors genuinely like / dislike or have found the images of some interest. Ask yourself the question, why has that feedback been given.

Finally, next time you are looking at another Fotopic (or similar) site, ask yourself what do you like / dislike about it and learn from this.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks Dennis for the insight.

But to answer, it's mainly to house photos and to share photos of things people missed (Fishguard 37s in December 2005 for instance). It's due to be re-jigged though, time for a completely new Fotopic site though, the current one is too messed up.

Thanks for the helpful advice Dennis, I've taken it onboard and made the decision to basically create a decent Fotopic gallery, what the theme will be I haven't decided. I'll make that decision later. It's time to bring my Fotopic site into one that's worth mentioning alongside others such as Jon B, Paul Bigland and the other big, rather professional looking sites.

Time to get the axe out...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Just line up the 222s in the way would you? Little to the left, no to the right a tad...Perfect! You'll want to retreat to a safe, 500 metre radius now. 3, 2, 1...

SLICE!

Ahhhh, that's MUCH better!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Waaa? Me? I chose 222s because I hate them more than the 221s. Yes, that's right, give me a 221 over a 222 any day.

New Fotopic site under way, going to be a long, long time before it's much good, but it's set up, now it's just getting stuff uploaded.

ChrisM

The important thing about any website is to use it the way you want and try not to please others.
On my site i moved all older and not so good photos onto a 'archive site' which people can still view and where if needed i can move the photos back and forth.
One thing i hate about some sites is finding a interesting collection only to find it contains one or two photos or 20 photos of the same train as it approaches.
Location is something i look for so i can see if it's worth a visit myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.