• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WY Day Rover - Peak Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire Blue

With the closed window being 16.00 - 18.30, 2 queries.
Can one board a train timetabled at 15.55 that is running 6 minutes late.
Can one board a train timetabled 18.25 that is running 6 minutes late.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A Challenge

Established Member
It is 'timed to depart', meaning that you can get on a train booked pre-1600 that arrives afterwards, but not trains booked pre-1830 that arrive afterwards.

Veteran Member
It is 'timed to depart', meaning that you can get on a train booked pre-1600 that arrives afterwards, but not trains booked pre-1830 that arrive afterwards.

But the Metro website simply says "not valid between 1601-1830" which if taken literally means No and Yes.
It also means that you can't use said 1555 for very far... :)

A Challenge

Established Member
If you can take the most favourable conditions at each point, then that means you can use both!

CHAPS2034

But the Metro website simply says "not valid between 1601-1830" which if taken literally means No and Yes.
It also means that you can't use said 1555 for very far... :)

With the peak hours generally in Northern land areas if I recall correctly, you can use an off peak ticket on trains scheduled to depart before the cut off and remain on that train until you have completed your journey on that particular train. If you then need to change to complete your journey on another train, you can't until the peak hour restriction comes off - or you buy an anytime ticket.

So I would assume you could get the 1555 as far as you want rather than having to get off it by 1600.

I would assume this rule would also apply to the Rover?

Veteran Member
With the peak hours generally in Northern land areas if I recall correctly, you can use an off peak ticket on trains scheduled to depart before the cut off and remain on that train until you have completed your journey on that particular train. If you then need to change to complete your journey on another train, you can't until the peak hour restriction comes off - or you buy an anytime ticket.

So I would assume you could get the 1555 as far as you want rather than having to get off it by 1600.

I would assume this rule would also apply to the Rover?

Yes, the restriction (ND) as referred to by A Challenge is the same for Day Rovers and Offpeak tickets.

Sapphire Blue

Thanks folks.
Subsequent question.
Using "ordinary" railway rules, a ticket allows travel by a later train if your connection is delayed.
What is the position with the Day Rover if I take the 15.30 HUD > LDS 15.49 to catch the 15.58 to Knottingley.
The 15.30 is delayed by 14 minutes and the planned train is away. Can/should I be allowed to take the next available Knottingley service?

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Using "ordinary" railway rules, a ticket allows travel by a later train if your connection is delayed.
This applies to advance fares but I'm not sure if it applies to walkup fares or rovers - I don't think it has ever been officially clarified in writing?

Sapphire Blue

Yet again today, issues with day rovers due to the total cancellation of the HUD to Castleford service because of a "shortage of train drivers". They were obviously too busy on the 195s in Huddersfield sidings to carry passengers anywhere.
But full praise to Northern guards in allowing tickets to bypass the "closed" section.

Status
Not open for further replies.