• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wymondham to London Terminals via Peterborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
I am considering travelling from Wymondham to London via Peterborough. I have checked whether a through ticket is available but it isn't. I noticed that there is a fare from Norwich to Stevenage and from Wymondham to Peterborough. From either of those stations a fare to London Terminals is available. Which one should I use?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I am considering travelling from Wymondham to London via Peterborough. I have checked whether a through ticket is available but it isn't. I noticed that there is a fare from Norwich to Stevenage and from Wymondham to Peterborough. From either of those stations a fare to London Terminals is available. Which one should I use?
I don't think travel from Wymondham to London is permitted via Peterborough on a walkup through fare. The only available walkup through fares are routed either via Cambridge or via Norwich. Whilst Peterborough passes as an origin Routeing Point even when entering the via Norwich route, the via Norwich route restriction still applies and so, in practice, it is not possible to use any permitted routes from Peterborough.

There are Advances available from Wymondham to London, but they are all routed Greater Anglia only so travel via Peterborough is de facto barred.

I'm not sure what you mean about which fare you should use - simply that, if you wish to travel via Peterborough, some online booking engines will tell you it's not possible at all, others will sell you a combination of tickets (e.g. NRE and other SilverRail split-ticketing enabled sites such as Chiltern, as well as TrainSplit), and if you ask at a ticket office they are obliged to sell you a valid combination (though it need not be the cheapest combination possible).

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I am considering travelling from Wymondham to London via Peterborough.
OK.
I have checked whether a through ticket is available but it isn't.
I agree.
I noticed that there is a fare from Norwich to Stevenage and from Wymondham to Peterborough. From either of those stations...
Which stations? You named four - Norwich, Stevenage, Wymondham and Peterborough.
Which one should I use?
For what?

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
I don't think travel from Wymondham to London is permitted via Peterborough on a walkup through fare. The only available walkup through fares are routed either via Cambridge or via Norwich. Whilst Peterborough passes as an origin Routeing Point even when entering the via Norwich route, the via Norwich route restriction still applies and so, in practice, it is not possible to use any permitted routes from Peterborough.

There are Advances available from Wymondham to London, but they are all routed Greater Anglia only so travel via Peterborough is de facto barred.

I'm not sure what you mean about which fare you should use - simply that, if you wish to travel via Peterborough, some online booking engines will tell you it's not possible at all, others will sell you a combination of tickets (e.g. NRE and other SilverRail split-ticketing enabled sites such as Chiltern, as well as TrainSplit), and if you ask at a ticket office they are obliged to sell you a valid combination (though it need not be the cheapest combination possible).
Am I right in saying that a Norwich to London Terminals ticket is not valid via Peterborough as this is no longer a permitted route?

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
OK.

I agree.

Which stations? You named four - Norwich, Stevenage, Wymondham and Peterborough.

For what?

1) I want to know which ticket I buy for the first leg of my journey: Norwich to Stevenage or Wymondham to Peterborough? From there a through fare to London Terminals will be fine for the second leg.
2) The cheapest fare possible excluding Advances.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Am I right in saying that a Norwich to London Terminals ticket is not valid via Peterborough as this is no longer a permitted route?
No, that is not a permitted route. The farehistory.info site may contain the documents needed to find out whether it was historically a permitted route. Is there a particular reason why you wish to go via Peterborough? It seems quite a circuitous route in view of the frequent "intercity" service and the alternative of travelling via Cambridge.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
No, that is not a permitted route. The farehistory.info site may contain the documents needed to find out whether it was historically a permitted route. Is there a particular reason why you wish to go via Peterborough? It seems quite a circuitous route in view of the frequent "intercity" service and the alternative of travelling via Cambridge.
Good question, I would say just out of interest really, apart from that there is no particular reason. Fair point you raise!

JBuchananGB

Trainsplit proposes that you split the ticket at Peterborough, for a simple single fare. Off-peak day single £60.

JBuchananGB

Off peak day returns will cost you £60.20. You should be able to buy the tickets on the day at Wymondham if it has a ticket office.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
Off peak day returns will cost you £60.20. You should be able to buy the tickets on the day at Wymondham if it has a ticket office.
No but it has a card-only TVM so I doubt it matters if I'm paying by card. If I wanted to pay in cash I could always ask the guard onboard.

JBuchananGB

Not all TVMs will sell tickets starting from somewhere else. As you need a ticket from Wymondham to Peterborough and a separate ticket from there to London, it might be worth booking on line and collecting the tickets at the TVM.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
Not all TVMs will sell tickets starting from somewhere else. As you need a ticket from Wymondham to Peterborough and a separate ticket from there to London, it might be worth booking on line and collecting the tickets at the TVM.
Good advice, the machine at Wymondham does sell tickets from other destinations but is unreliable and is the only TVM available at that station. I think that it might be a better idea to only buy the Peterborough to London Terminals portion online and just buy the Wymondham to Peterborough ticket from the TVM or failing that the conductor onboard the first train I board.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
The OP of this thread also started that one!
That's correct but this incident did not relate to the journey to London via Peterborough which I plan to make at some point in the future but haven't yet managed to get round to making unfortunately. Note that in that thread I mentioned a Wymondham to London Terminals ticket valid via Cambridge, not two separate tickets valid Via Peterborough.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
Am I correct in saying that if I wanted Any Permítted tickets, I could save money by splitting at Thetford instead of Peterborough? The reason for that is that there is a Super Off-Peak Day Return ticket from Thetford to London Terminals valid Via Peterborough, would it be valid via Cambridge and Norwich? The fares for those routes are less expensive however the Via Peterborough ticket is a Super Off-Peak Return one whereas the tickets valid via Cambridge and Norwich are both Off Peak Returns.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation

If I buy a ticket from Wymondham to Norwich and then a ticket from Norwich to London Terminals would it be valid via Peterborough or only valid on the direct train to LST or via Cambridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.