• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC and GA Class 170s when will they be refurbished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubs

I have travelled on 2 different examples of GA's and 2 of XC's in the past week, when is refurbishment going to happen?

The GA ones (one 2 car, one 3 car) smelt awful, were filthy and just looked tired and knackered. They also rattled badly, the internal doors were stuck open. I was also surprised to see a guards compartment in the middle of the 3 car, I thought these were taken out when the buffets were removed? are they ever used? Its sad to see the transformation from bright modern trains on some London runs in 2003/4 to worn out and looking very unloved in 2015.

The XC ones (also one 2 car, one 3 car) were in better shape, less rattling and the seat covers are nice and look good but the carpets were really worn. The 2 car really couldn't cope with the amount of people on board. What is the area with the shutters near the disabled toilet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
I have travelled on 2 different examples of GA's and 2 of XC's in the past week, when is refurbishment going to happen?

The GA ones (one 2 car, one 3 car) smelt awful, were filthy and just looked tired and knackered. They also rattled badly, the internal doors were stuck open. I was also surprised to see a guards compartment in the middle of the 3 car, I thought these were taken out when the buffets were removed? are they ever used? Its sad to see the transformation from bright modern trains on some London runs in 2003/4 to worn out and looking very unloved in 2015.

The XC ones (also one 2 car, one 3 car) were in better shape, less rattling and the seat covers are nice and look good but the carpets were really worn. The 2 car really couldn't cope with the amount of people on board. What is the area with the shutters near the disabled toilet?

It was too expensive & complicated to remove the equipment in the guards compartment on the 3-car Ex-Anglia units & that's why they are still there but unused. Agreed they are a bit rough but then next to nothing has been done to them in 16yrs apart from some new carpet & converting most of the 50 car from 1st to Std accommodation. Having said that they are far more roomy & comfortable than the XC examples. New seat covers are planned & within the next year or so new seats altogether may be fitted. I'm in two minds as to whether this is a good idea.

387star

On Moderation
Xc turbostars are being refurbished as we speak

Can only assume they are used too intensively to find time to do them up

Are there photos of the guards area

Last edited:

chubs

The guards area just looked like a little cupboard with glass windows, couldn't see anything in it! Do they ever use it?

I must have been unlucky with the XC ones. I quite like the seats overall, they do need new seat covers though.

The GA ones would be instantly improved by a deep clean.

D365

Veteran Member
Please people get real, try a Northern pacer especially the bus seat original. Then ask about refurbishment

Don't you worry, I'm moving up north just for the experience :lol:

TEW

Established Member
Please people get real, try a Northern pacer especially the bus seat original. Then ask about refurbishment

At least they've had some new seat covers and a lick of paint fairly recently. The interior of the Greater Anglia 170s is of a much higher quality, but they're pretty much untouched since new, and it really shows, they aren't nice inside at all.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think the point is these are very new trains by comparison with a pacer, and have been constructed more properly.

These Turbostars aren't going anywhere any time soon (hopefully unlike the pacers) so there's no excuse for not having them all given a bit of TLC as soon as is practical. We need all the DMUs in good condition that we can get!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Let's try not to turn this into another 'we've got it worse than you' thread in relation to Pacers and other type of train. That doesn't change the fact that the 170s in this thread need a refurbishment so let's continue discussing that ;)

Alfie1014

First AGA set went off today to Brush at Loughborough for C4 and refresh. We'll have to wait and see what it islike when it returns.

387star

On Moderation
First AGA set went off today to Brush at Loughborough for C4 and refresh. We'll have to wait and see what it islike when it returns.

Will look like a 357 most probably but with red rather than blue doors

357s and 379s interestingly share the same livery but are at complete opposite ends of the electrostar series

SPADTrap

Established Member
Will look like a 357 most probably but with red rather than blue doors

357s and 379s interestingly share the same livery but are at complete opposite ends of the electrostar series

Age difference is pretty stark on them that's why!

SuffolkRaider

But surely he said knowing he was on sticky ground already lol.....as the franchise is up next year who wants to spend money ? Only going on the "improvements" so far on the GEML ummm some ballast? some new screens? aaaand some new barriers Not that I feel we are sold short in the east but there was a lot of "bigging up" at election time and now look. Northern Powerhouse.....Eastern....Outhouse...."pausing"! and the fact of the short set to cover for lack of stock let alone being able to send stock away for a refurb.

This video: http://youtu.be/KiGeqtO6RVc shows 170201 passing East Midlands Parkway for Lougborough Brush the other day. Will be interesting to see how it returns, I'd like to see at least a new paint job but not hopeful for the interior, AGA would have made more of a song and dance about that!

Last edited:

This video: http://youtu.be/KiGeqtO6RVc shows 170201 passing East Midlands Parkway for Lougborough Brush the other day. Will be interesting to see how it returns, I'd like to see at least a new paint job but not hopeful for the interior, AGA would have made more of a song and dance about that!

170201 went to Loughborough for some new bogies and to have parts under the carriage to be replaced with new ones that is all the C4 at Loughborough is and this comes from management from Abellio Greater Anglia.

The Abellio Greater Anglia Turbostars will NOT be getting repainted.

dk1

Veteran Member
The Abellio Greater Anglia Turbostars will NOT be getting repainted.

208 on your Avatar will have an extended extended reign in the attractive Breckland advertising wrap. Should have been long gone.

Few of the 2 car 170's have started sporting 360 style grey seat covers.....look horrid with the remaining orange handles etc!

fgwrich

Established Member
Few of the 2 car 170's have started sporting 360 style grey seat covers.....look horrid with the remaining orange handles etc!

A friend of mine showed me a picture the other day of it - I can only agree, it really does look cheap and awful. For those who haven't seen it, it's still the same tatty ex Anglia Railways interior but with dark and light grey seat covers.

MrPIC

Saw a poster in a 321 this morning saying they are also being terated to these new grey covers. What I don't get is why the 317/6's have been given red/grey covers and everything else just grey....

dk1

Veteran Member
Saw a poster in a 321 this morning saying they are also being terated to these new grey covers. What I don't get is why the 317/6's have been given red/grey covers and everything else just grey....

The seat covers on the 170s are of the very dark type now going into the 360s. I prefer the grey used on the 321/379 fleet. The LHCS grey is different again.

MrPIC

ahh I see, I like the Anglia set ones best, then the 317 ones. The 379 grey dotty ones not so much! Weird how GA are now doing all these basic things which you would expect to be done almost immediately on taking over a franchise...

dk1

Veteran Member
Weird how GA are now doing all these basic things which you would expect to be done almost immediately on taking over a franchise...

What gets me are the posters almost boasting about new seat covers that adorn stations across the network. It's almost like asking to be ridiculed for goodness sake.

MrPIC

I know right! It makes it seem like they are only trying to curry favour with DfT or leave a somewhat pleasant taste in people's mouths approaching the end of franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.