• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC coach I

Status
Not open for further replies.

harz99

Can anyone tell me what type of stock/formation would have a coach letter I (as in eye)?

I'm reserved in coach I on the XC 0823 WKF to BPW (0644 ex NCL to PLY) on Friday 8th June, and my searches have shown nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
Double Vogayer; it'll have the formation A-(B)-C-D-F—G-(H)-I-J-L (bracketed letters only present on 221s, not 220s).

A Virgin double Voyager, for reference, would be A-B-C-D-E—G-H-J-K-L.

harz99

Double Vogayer; it'll have the formation A-(B)-C-D-F—G-(H)-I-J-L (bracketed letters only present on 221s, not 220s).

A Virgin double Voyager, for reference, would be A-B-C-D-E—G-H-J-K-L.

Thanks for that. Shame, I had hoped for something better than a Voyager.

So it'll be wait on the platform around the end of the first 4 coaches and see which way round the formation is - something I've got used to with Tpex double unit services north of Preston!

Eagle

Established Member
So it'll be wait on the platform around the end of the first 4 coaches and see which way round the formation is - something I've got used to with Tpex double unit services north of Preston!

Actually, each of the units could be either way round. I've been on sets which go A-C-D-F-L-J-I-G before (which along with the lack of corridor connections resulted in loads of people not being able to get to their reserved seats).

Safety365

Actually, each of the units could be either way round. I've been on sets which go A-C-D-F-L-J-I-G before (which along with the lack of corridor connections resulted in loads of people not being able to get to their reserved seats).

Between Basingstoke and Bournemouth (and presumably at Guilford for the daily Newcastle service) XC stock formations are displayed on the platform CIS.
I don't know if this is done in other areas

trolleyman

The train is booked a reversal as DBY. If the crew have set up the train correctly I should be the front set

harz99

Thanks Trolleyman; still sounds like my original plan of waiting near where the 4th coach should stop is best then as it gives time to get on either unit.

button_boxer

Established Member
In my experience with XC the "first class at the front/rear" indication on departure screens is only right about 60-70% of the time. I guess it comes from running a network with so many opportunities for expected or unexpected reversals (they can run either way out of Birmingham towards Bristol, or out of Newcastle towards Durham, for example).

David10

XC services are being diverted via Toton from 4th - 8th June with services from the north approaching Derby from the south hence the reversal movement.

As a result XC diagrams are being reshuffled to take into account the increased journey times. According to XC's seat reservation system, the 0644 NCL - PLY and 1523 PLY - LDS will be made up of 2 Voyagers throughout.

Last edited:

Established Member
*until one half is required for a B-exam and it goes short formed, again ;)

harz99

*until one half is required for a B-exam and it goes short formed, again ;)

Cheers 185!! Shortformed on your namesake on Sundays is bad enough without the prospect of several hours on one Voyager vice two thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.