• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Delay repay - how long does it take and what are my chances of getting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I traveled on a Cross Country service from Newcastle to Oxford on the 22nd of April (the 1035 departure from NCL) which was affected by the train doors failing at Doncaster. The train was cancelled at Birmingham New Street and as a result I was exactly 1 hour late arriving into Oxford. I sent off my tickets attached to a delay repay form on the 25th of April and I was wondering how long it is before I am likely to hear back (not that I think I should have heard back yet), as there is a journey that I might be more likely to decide to do if I get some Rail Travel Vouchers in compensation! Also what are my chances of getting a refund even though I could perhaps have made a quicker connection at BHM had I ran (the connection left about 2 minutes after mine arrived)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Responses to delay claims may take up to 20 working days.

The minimum connection time at Birmingham N St is 12 minutes so nothing will turn on the fact that you didn't rush to a shorter connection.

SamS

My experience is around 2 weeks for them to reply and send an RTV.

Thankyou SamS. If your response is typical it should leave plenty of time before the journey that I might make using the RTVs.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I received my delay repay RTVs today, along with a very nice letter apologising for the delay. The only thing is that they have written that I traveled on the 21st March, a full month before I actually did travel. I suspect that they got mixed up with the date when the ticket was booked. A quick question, does it have to be me that uses the vouchers or could I give them to a family member to use?

najaB

Veteran Member
A quick question, does it have to be me that uses the vouchers or could I give them to a family member to use?
RTV's aren't transferable, but there is nothing stopping you buying the ticket for someone else to use.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thankyou SamS. If your response is typical it should leave plenty of time before the journey that I might make using the RTVs.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I received my delay repay RTVs today, along with a very nice letter apologising for the delay. The only thing is that they have written that I traveled on the 21st March, a full month before I actually did travel. I suspect that they got mixed up with the date when the ticket was booked. A quick question, does it have to be me that uses the vouchers or could I give them to a family member to use?
Officially, they are non-transferable, as written on them. However, you can buy tickets for someone else with them no problem. And in reality, it is very unlikely anyone will notice (or care) that you've passed them on to a family member.

Thanks JakeF. I should have read the small print! Most likely it will be me that uses them anyway. Now that I come to think of it my parents might actually have paid for the ticket - I really can't remember. They said I could keep the compensation anyway or give it to them if they travel sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.