• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC - Downgrading to standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

antharro

I have a friend who is travelling on CrossCountry from Birmingham - Bournemouth. She currently holds an advance first which was bought by mistake. She wants to travel in standard as other people she will be travelling with will be in standard. Can she do this on an advance or *must* she travel in first?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Technically she should travel first. In practice I would be stunned if there was a problem.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There is no penalty for travelling in Standard Class with a First Class ticket. The fare for the journey being made has been paid. There is nothing in the Conditions of Travel to suggest otherwise.

najaB

Veteran Member
There is no penalty for travelling in Standard Class with a First Class ticket. The fare for the journey being made has been paid. There is nothing in the Conditions of Travel to suggest otherwise.
It is, however, an Advance ticket so technically she should sit in her assigned seat. Again, I don't expect this to be a problem unless the train is so full as to have no standard seats available.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It is, however, an Advance ticket so technically she should sit in her assigned seat. Again, I don't expect this to be a problem unless the train is so full as to have no standard seats available.
Yes, that's a fair enough point.

In all likelihood antharro's friend will have no issues at all. XC's Train Managers are, on the whole, a friendly and reasonable bunch.

Established Member
Possibly off topic, but if a passenger chooses to travel standard class with a first class ticket (for example, as in this case, to join friends) would it be unreasonable to ask for a free drink/snack (if offered complimentary to First Class passengers?) Obviously it would be unreasonable to expect a full meal to be brought through!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've known people to go and collect the complimentary items (not meals though as you say) and there has never been an issue. One guard did ask for an explanation as to why someone was sat their munching through the freebies but upon seeing their ticket all was well.

I can't imagine many train crew complaining.

antharro

Thanks for the advice. :) XC Twitter have also confirmed this (I asked them at the same time) so looks like my friend is set.

Status
Not open for further replies.