• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC HST Power Car on Lorry on A46

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
I've just seen an XC power car (I couldn't see a number in the usual place) go south on the A46 on an Alelys lorry at Beckford. Does anyone know why it's on a lorry and where it's going from/to?
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ABB125

Established Member
To/from Long Marston? (my first guess)
I wouldn't have thought so, I don't think XC have any powercars stored there, and why go by road? The ex-GWR powercars which were transferred to/from Laira on Monday and Tuesday went by rail (top and tail with 50007/50049).
My assumption would be that it is going to Laira from somewhere between Newcastle and Doncaster, since if it was from Edinburgh it would have gone down the M6 then M5 and I can't think of a reason why it would be coming from somewhere XC don't operate (eg: south of Doncaster). Assuming it is going to Laira, I imagine it's taken the following route: A1(M)-M18-M1-M69-A46-M5-A38. Having said that, if it was coming from the M18, I would have thought routeing via the A42/M42 and M5 rather than M69 and A46 would have been a better choice to avoid the single carriageway sections of the A46. (Incedentally, despite the much reduced traffic on the A46 in the last few days, there was still a large queue behind the lorry.)
I could be totally wrong though. Who knows, maybe one of the GWR powercars stored at Long Marston has been reliveried for extra HST operation...:)

43 302

Established Member
Is it possible that it was 43 208 or 43 239 having finished it XC repaint? Though the location doesn't make too much sense as I believe those two were being repainted at Eastleigh.

ABB125

Established Member
Is it possible that it was 43 208 or 43 239 having finished it XC repaint? Though the location doesn't make too much sense as I believe those two were being repainted at Eastleigh.
Potentially, but it makes no sense if coming from Eastleigh. However, it did look fairly "shiny" and didn't have a number painted on the side as far as I could see.

On Moderation
I wouldn't have thought so, I don't think XC have any powercars stored there, and why go by road? The ex-GWR powercars which were transferred to/from Laira on Monday and Tuesday went by rail (top and tail with 50007/50049).
My assumption would be that it is going to Laira from somewhere between Newcastle and Doncaster, since if it was from Edinburgh it would have gone down the M6 then M5 and I can't think of a reason why it would be coming from somewhere XC don't operate (eg: south of Doncaster). Assuming it is going to Laira, I imagine it's taken the following route: A1(M)-M18-M1-M69-A46-M5-A38. Having said that, if it was coming from the M18, I would have thought routeing via the A42/M42 and M5 rather than M69 and A46 would have been a better choice to avoid the single carriageway sections of the A46. (Incedentally, despite the much reduced traffic on the A46 in the last few days, there was still a large queue behind the lorry.)
I could be totally wrong though. Who knows, maybe one of the GWR powercars stored at Long Marston has been reliveried for extra HST operation...:)
D365 is correct. It’s 43357 heading from repaint by Chrysalis Rail at Long Marston back to Laira. It’s part of an on-going programme with repaints being done during major exams.

nat67

Established Member
D365 is correct. It’s 43357 heading from repaint by Chrysalis Rail at Long Marston back to Laira. It’s part of an on-going programme with repaints being done during major exams.
That was a quick repaint compared to 301 and 303.

ABB125

Established Member
Ok, thanks.
I would have thought it would be logical to coordinate power car moves so they go together rather than one on Monday by train and one today by road, but evidently there must be a reason for what (superficially) seems like a lack of joined-up thinking.

On Moderation
That was a quick repaint compared to 301 and 303.
The slowness with 301 and 303 wasn’t the paint but the time it took Laira to do the rest of the F exam. That said, they should be getting a bit quicker with the repaints as they get used to them.

Just a consideration, Allelys yard is in Studley Warwickshire so driver could have parked at base overnight hence the deviation

Status
Not open for further replies.