• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC HSTs Northbound from the West Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Could some kind person tell me the times of XC HSTs from either Penzance, Plymouth or Exeter heading North tomorrow, please? (the frequently requested thread is only valid up to the timetable change on the 10th).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Realtime trains has the 1525 and 1725 off Plymouth as 125s. Anyone - is this reliable information?

AS

Established Member
Could some kind person tell me the times of XC HSTs from either Penzance, Plymouth or Exeter heading North tomorrow, please? (the frequently requested thread is only valid up to the timetable change on the 10th).

Thanks.

Haven't changed as far as I know.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Realtime trains has the 1525 and 1725 off Plymouth as 125s. Anyone - is this reliable information?

AS

The 1725 is an HST on Friday and Saturday Only

Last edited:

D1009

Established Member

Thanks.
The only diagrammed HSTs north from Plymouth tomorrow are the 1225 (1S51) and the 1525 (1E63).

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
The only diagrammed HSTs north from Plymouth tomorrow are the 1225 (1S51) and the 1525 (1E63).

Ah. Thank you - sounds like the 10.00 from Penzance to connect with the 1225 from Plymouth to Cheltenham, and then the 15.48 to Malvern, then.

Cheers for your help.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
I missed the 1225, apologies, but the 1725 is shown as a 125 on Realtime Trains. I know nothing of course, so is this unreliable? A Voyager in a path suitable for a 125?

AS

Established Member
I missed the 1225, apologies, but the 1725 is shown as a 125 on Realtime Trains. I know nothing of course, so is this unreliable? A Voyager in a path suitable for a 125?

AS

It's a timing load, nothing to do with what it is booked for.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
noted - but it never seems to change and has been bang on every Thursday or Friday i have traveled from Birmingham or Tamworth to Leeds

Excellent. As you know, I'm not from around here and I'd hate to be stiuck with a Voyager - I think I'd prefer a 150 :)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

XC have more 125 indicated services on RTT than they actually run. This is simply because a Voyager can quite happily run in a 125 timed slot whilst a 125 cannot so easily run in a Voyager slot. RTT is not to be relied upon when it comes to finding HSTs on XC and instead our Frequently Requested Diagrams thread (once it's updated) or the 125Group website is a better bet.

Rich McLean

Established Member
For reference there is no change in hst diagrams from what was listed. Fridays to Sundays can vary from week to week though

a_c_skinner

Established Member
"run in a 125 timed slot whilst a 125 cannot so easily run in a Voyager slot."

Another catch for a mere trainspotter! Is the same true of VETC and 125 vs Cl91/Mk4 sets?

sprinterguy

Established Member
XC have more 125 indicated services on RTT than they actually run. This is simply because a Voyager can quite happily run in a 125 timed slot whilst a 125 cannot so easily run in a Voyager slot.
Although 06:32 Dundee - Plymouth/17:25 Dundee - Leeds is a common diagram for an HST to be turned out on when the diagrams have been mucked up for whatever reason or if extra capacity is being provided (though as noted above it is only booked HST on Friday/Saturday).

I'd be surprised if any of the Plymouth - Edinburgh workings couldn't accommodate an HST vice Voyager, for instance there is an HST working the 14:25 Plymouth - Edinburgh today (18:03 through Birmingham) as the result of some chopping and changing this morning, part of a booked Voyager diagram throughout the week.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Another catch for a mere trainspotter! Is the same true of VETC and 125 vs Cl91/Mk4 sets?

In general, you cannot rely on the timing load to tell you what will operate. This is true for nearly all TOCs.

You can, however, usually rely on it with VTEC, although some services are more likely to get a last minute substitution.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
You can't rely on the booked diagrams anyway. Today, for example.

1V48 Newcastle to Plymouth and 1S55 1425 Plymouth to Edinburgh which are booked for a Voyager, changed trains at Leeds on the way down to an HST.

1V44 0600 Leeds to Plymouth and 1S51 12 25 Plymouth to Glasgow which is a booked HST, started at Derby on the way down (due late running of inwars - unable to understand) and worked by a Voyager.

louis97

Established Member
You can't rely on the booked diagrams anyway. Today, for example.

1V48 Newcastle to Plymouth and 1S55 1425 Plymouth to Edinburgh which are booked for a Voyager, changed trains at Leeds on the way down to an HST.

1V44 0600 Leeds to Plymouth and 1S51 12 25 Plymouth to Glasgow which is a booked HST, started at Derby on the way down (due late running of inwars - unable to understand) and worked by a Voyager.

The set for 1V44 was delayed off maintenance at Neville Hill. This resulted in 1V44 starting Derby as a 220, this short formed the 0703 ex Birmingham 4 v 8. When the HST came off maintenance it worked 1V48 from Leeds with the set from that attaching to the short formed 0703 ex Birmingham to bring it back up to normal length.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

AS
What you are looking at is just a timing load. Open data feeds do not currently state what is diagrammed or allocated for any service.

AS
Yes, Voyagers can keep to HST paths.
Is the same true of VETC and 125 vs Cl91/Mk4 sets?
The same is true in that all the open data shows is a timing load.

It's generally the case that VTEC's timing loads match up with their usual booked traction, but of course alterations can happen.

I recommend having a read of this explanation of timing loads by D6700.

Status
Not open for further replies.