• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC HSTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

me123

Established Member
scot-rail.co.uk said:
HSTs TO MAKE WELCOME RETURN

To provide more seats, especially during busy periods on Thursdays, Fridays and
Mondays, CrossCountry is returning five High Speed Trains to its routes. In tandem
with the Voyager refresh programme, which will see an extra 842 seats across the
fleet and an increase in luggage space, the HSTs will provide a timely boost to
capacity. Once refurbished each set, formed 2+8, will offer 550 seats and ample
luggage space and be deployed on Edinburgh-Plymouth services. This in turn will
allow some Voyager-operated services to run as twin sets once their refurbishment is
complete, and will help alleviate crowding on some XC services. The first refurbished
power cars are due to enter service in July, followed by the first complete set in
September.

The first non-refurbished XC HSTs will enter service on Saturday 17 May on the 0850
Edinburgh-Penzance, and will also be used on Sundays on the same service and the
1025 Plymouth-Glasgow. From Monday 19 May they will be used on selected weekday
services to make more seats available on the following services:

Mondays 0830 Penzance-Dundee;
Thursdays 0641 Dunbar-Glasgow,
0900 Glasgow-Penzance;
Fridays 0830 Penzance-Dundee,
1205 Edinburgh-Plymouth.

HSTs will also be used on the Summer Saturday services on 24 and 31 May and from 5
July through to 6 September. The four diagrams will be covered by a combination of
XC and National Express East Coast HSTs. The two XC sets will be formed 2+7, with
NXEC providing two 2+9 sets. ‘On hire to CrossCountry’ labels will be displayed
in the NXEC sets. It is intended that each train will leave Birmingham with the TGS,
the part of the train providing luggage storage, leading. There will be two
additional members of staff at Newquay to help with the turnaround and loading.
There will also be one additional member of staff on board to assist with luggage
management for each Newquay starter. The other services will have an additional crew
member between Bristol and Plymouth. Prior to refurbishment, the XC HST services will
have at-seat trolley catering, with up to three catering staff on board over the core
routes. The buffets on the NXEC sets will be in use.

The two XC sets will be used on the 0941 Newcastle-Newquay, 1955 Newquay-Plymouth,
0653 Plymouth-Newquay and the 0940 Newquay-Newcastle services.

The NXEC sets will be used on the 0735 Bristol-Paignton, 1032 Paignton-Newcastle,
0724 Manchester-Newquay and the 1522 return.

All trains operate under CrossCountry’s safety case and track access agreement,
staffed by CrossCountry traincrew. Travelling fitters will be on board most services
to rectify any problems which may arise. A refurbishment programme is under way to
completely overhaul the HST power cars and carriages. The power cars are being
fitted with new MTU engines, and all five trainsets will be painted in the
distinctive CrossCountry livery. Three of the sets are being worked on now, with the
other two being used on Summer Saturday services. As the refurbished sets enter
service the two non-refurbished sets will go into works for a complete overhaul. As
part of the overhaul the HSTs will be fitted with at-seat power points for mobile
phones and laptops. CrossCountry is working with company council and RSM coaches to
develop the at-seat service and design work on the new catering area is now at an
advanced stage.

From the December 2008 timetable change it is planned to use the newly refurbished
XC HSTs on the following services:

0611 Leeds-Plymouth,
1225 Plymouth-Glasgow,

0638 Dundee-Plymouth,
1725 Plymouth-Leeds,

0628 Derby-Plymouth,
1125 Plymouth-Dundee,

0610 Edinburgh-Plymouth,
1525 Plymouth-York.

From Alisdair at scot-rail.co.uk

I'm surprised to see that from Dec 08, the Penzance-Dundee service won't be receiving an HST at all, with the trains being centred on Plymouth services. I for one was hoping to see them on the 0900 GLC-PNZ as well on a more frequent basis, as I know this train gets very busy past EDB.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

djw1981

Established Member
I'm surprised to see that from Dec 08, the Penzance-Dundee service won't be receiving an HST at all, with the trains being centred on Plymouth services. I for one was hoping to see them on the 0900 GLC-PNZ as well on a more frequent basis, as I know this train gets very busy past EDB.

IIRC the timetable changes mean that there will now be a flight of departures around 0830-1030 from EDB to the midlands, which should help to aleviate the overcrowding on the 0900 ex GLC.

The issue is also to do with maintenance facilities - in that the HST's need to have the same diagrams every day, thus by terminating HST services at Plymouth you retain the extra capacity on the core of the route, and it is not wasted doing the trip to PNZ and back where a 4car may be sufficient most of the time. For Saturdays and Sundays, the HST do have a very different service pattern reflecting the different service loadings.

They are being used on th ThO 0900 GLC-PNZ from 18th May until end of summer timetable...and the FO 0830 PNZ-DEE if someone wants lots of HST coverage and a night in Penzance. (possibly even Valenta coverage?)

If you note, the HST diagrams end each evening at either Neville Hill (Derby / York) or Craigentinny (Glasgow / Dundee) - with presumably the 5th (spare) set at EC - so they can receive appropriate and full maintenance each evening. This may not be the case at PNZ. At Plymouth, they may have an arrangement with FGW that a fitter from Laira would be able to come and deal with any small faults during the turn around.

I note that they are sending traveling fitters on the Summer Saturday's workings (a mix of Valenta XC PC's and MTU NXEC PC's), indicating some reliability concerns, since they are not stating that they will do teh same with the normal services from December.

me123

Established Member
IIRC the timetable changes mean that there will now be a flight of departures around 0830-1030 from EDB to the midlands, which should help to aleviate the overcrowding on the 0900 ex GLC.

Ahh, fantastic. I'd like to have seen an HST on my regular service to EDB, but I'll live with the ThO service while it lasts.

djw1981

Established Member
The unrefurbed PCs, thats why only 2 rakes in service. As we get closer to December, the refurbed rakes will be in use. Hence also why only 2 rakes on the summer Saturday services, and 2 hired from NXEC but with XC crews.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ahh, fantastic. I'd like to have seen an HST on my regular service to EDB, but I'll live with the ThO service while it lasts.

Surely you should be in school on Th at 0900?:lol:

mrcheek

Established Member
This is wonderful news. but whats the odds that the Virgin Trains-loving media will report it as "Arriva XC bring back 30 year old trains", and make it out as a negative story. Just like they put a positive spin when Virgin got new trains, even though they were too short for the job.

djw1981

Established Member
Why does it need reporting? It was News in July last when it was announced in the franchise announcement. I can't see many newspapers giving it space. Although the reintroduction of the unrefurbished Mk3's is perhaps running a major risk of bad publicity, especially if they are grotty and broken (the same for the shop removal)! Also Arriva do not culture the media or have such a large PR dept as Virgin Group do. Note NX, First, Virgin, Stagecoach and GoVia managers doing interview with Rail, Modern Railways etc to talk up their franchises and businesses which helps build the media image of the company.

me123

Established Member
Surely you should be in school on Th at 0900?:lol:

I only have 13 days left ;) (not that I'm counting... :lol:)

I use(d) the service to go to open days and, when I went to Aberdeen, I got cheaper tickets travelling through EDB.

djw1981

Established Member
It was your making it sound like a regular commute thatw as amusing me.... beside an NX Mk4 has wifi, an XC mk3 won't.....:eek: :rolleyes:

me123

Established Member
It's the train I tend to use everytime I go to the Capital, just because the 0914 ex MTH is a good time for me usually. And the only time I've ever used NXECs wifi on the EDB-MTH corridor, it was broken :lol:

Something will screw up.

Mind you, with a company like XC, they make a good move, the rail-enthusiast nation is happy, make a bad one, they die!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.