• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC reduction in HST fleet usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Right, so XC now running extra trains to glasgow and southampton yet theyve now reduced HST useage to 2 sets tuesday-thuesday only 3 sets monday. Seems a bit of a backward step to me....

Has there been any reductions in voyager doubling up this timetable change?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Right, so XC now running extra trains to glasgow and southampton yet theyve now reduced HST useage to 2 sets tuesday-thuesday only 3 sets monday. Seems a bit of a backward step to me....

cant say im surprised at this, its XC afterall, the TOC that, A do anything as long as its cheep and B make certain that in everything they do, passenger Discumfort is a top prioritty!

Wonder when DAFT wil wake up and notice the inhumane conditions and poor service doalk are getting? soon hopefully as those HSTs could be used at EC or FGW or even with Scotrail to bust crouding on Invernesses.

That said though, the XC bosses wil shout if they try to take them.

Eagle

Established Member

It's the winter timetable; passenger numbers are lower. The HSTs will be back later in the year, I'm sure.

TEW

Established Member
XC has a lot less seasonal fluctuation in demand than you would think. Many of the busy services are simply commuters. It also wouldn't explain why they didn't increase the use of HSTs over the Christmas period, which does see an increase in long distance traffic. It's just penny pinching again I suspect, with the HSTs on a pay as you use lease it's cheaper for XC to have them sitting around. Keeping the mileage down saves money on overhauls as well.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
XC has a lot less seasonal fluctuation in demand than you would think. Many of the busy services are simply commuters. It also wouldn't explain why they didn't increase the use of HSTs over the Christmas period, which does see an increase in long distance traffic. It's just penny pinching again I suspect, with the HSTs on a pay as you use lease it's cheaper for XC to have them sitting around. Keeping the mileage down saves money on overhauls as well.

my thoughts also. Why should the pax matter if we can save a few quid? They gotta pay anyway so we stil get the dosh, who gives a ***** if there uncumfortable! Should maybe point out Im not staff bashing as the guys on the ground incl many fellow forum members do there v best.

Have to agree also on demand, the Scottish crossborder runs are always wel loaded and the core sections do indeed see heavy useage.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Looking at the ORR data tables you can see the Quarterly mileage operated up to the end of December (3rd Quarter). http://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/displayreport/report/html/a7c4913f-61e6-4bcd-9ff0-083572c92744 This data is 4 days old, so 'hot off the presses' so to speak.

Interestingly its just surpassed the level pre splitting off of Manchester-Scotland services.

ORR says 1.3% more train km were operated on the national railway network compared to the same time last year;
25.1% increase in London Overground due to more services on the East London Line
9.3% increase at East Coast
6.1% increase at Chiltern from the 'Mainline' timetable

If you want a visual representation of which operators have timetabled more trains and which have put on less.
http://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/displayreport/report/html/fc52a465-15fb-4e8b-98dd-ef73e400d5ee

Last edited:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I recently did a few hours in Voyagers over the course of a day, I must admit they aren't as bad as I expected. Huge windows with what seemed to be a rather low sill (maybe I've just grown used to Pendos?) and the engine "roar" rapidly settled down into a low background rumble.

All in all seem superior to Cl180s and I think the equal of some of East Coasts or First Great Western's HSTs. I think the reputation is just a result of massive overcrowding as there were standees on that train and I only got a seat as a result of being in first class.

So more coaches for the Voyagers and the HSTs can go to the sidings in the sky.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I recently did a few hours in Voyagers over the course of a day, I must admit they aren't as bad as I expected. Huge windows with what seemed to be a rather low sill (maybe I've just grown used to Pendos?) and the engine "roar" rapidly settled down into a low background rumble.

All in all seem superior to Cl180s and I think the equal of some of East Coasts or First Great Western's HSTs. I think the result is just a result of massive overcrowding as there were standees on that train and I only got a seat as a result of being in first class.

looks like the first job for the men in white coats today :) :) :)
each to there own but your in a huge minoritty there im afriaid. Glad you enjoyed your trip though.

WatcherZero

Established Member
I must admit since I dont travel the East coast its been something like 15-20 years since I last rode on a HST.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
looks like the first job for the men in white coats today :) :) :)
each to there own but your in a huge minoritty there im afriaid. Glad you enjoyed your trip though.

I did, on the last Voyager leg (Wolverhampton back to Manchester) I managed to get on a Voyager with working WiFi :)

4SRKT

Established Member
I think the reputation is just a result of massive overcrowding as there were standees on that train and I only got a seat as a result of being in first class.

That and the appalling smells (I was on the 06:32 Dundee > Plymouth between and Leeds and Cheltenham on Thursday expecting a tram, and got a very nasty shock indeed: the smells were as bad as ever, even at midday). And the plasticky vestibules that they have in common with pendos.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
That and the appalling smells (I was on the 06:32 Dundee > Plymouth between and Leeds and Cheltenham on Thursday expecting a tram, and got a very nasty shock indeed: the smells were as bad as ever, even at midday). And the plasticky vestibules that they have in common with pendos.

and il bet you booked that service particularly!
Thats a lot of voyager milage for known hater like yourself. That diagram has thrown up a voyager a cupple of times lately, bowled me out at dundee infact0the same day as you traveled. I wated for the scotrail unit as it stank at 6.30am too, if its any cumfort!

tbtc

Veteran Member
the inhumane conditions

Slight exaggeration?

XC has a lot less seasonal fluctuation in demand than you would think. Many of the busy services are simply commuters. It also wouldn't explain why they didn't increase the use of HSTs over the Christmas period, which does see an increase in long distance traffic

There wasn't much scope to increase the use of HSTs over Christmas though - AIUI they only have five and were using four of them each day - I presume that the trains need some maintenance done (so days off)?

I recently did a few hours in Voyagers over the course of a day, I must admit they aren't as bad as I expected...

...I think the reputation is just a result of massive overcrowding as there were standees on that train and I only got a seat as a result of being in first class.

So more coaches for the Voyagers and the HSTs can go to the sidings in the sky

As I've said many times on here, they are decent enough trains, just too short for most XC duties (and I speak as someone who used to commute on them). Give them an extra couple of coaches and people won't complain anything like as much (especially as they won't be stood outside the toilets for their journey, so you won't hear so many complaints about them!)

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Guys this wasnt set up as another excuse for you all to bash voyagers so please stop.....

Slight exaggeration?

There wasn't much scope to increase the use of HSTs over Christmas though - AIUI they only have five and were using four of them each day - I presume that the trains need some maintenance done (so days off)?

I think it reduced to current levels on december timetable change so over christmas there was less HSTs unfortunately... they could of used 4 a day but used 2 most days...

Blindtraveler

Established Member
For the record, I will never be caught bashing Voyagers while there is breath in my body!

same here.

Seriusly though I had not intended to slag them themselves as theres plenty other places for that but my comments were purely made to agree with the opps point on HST usage and how its detrimental to the customer. Appologies again.

SprinterMan

Established Member

All in all seem superior to Cl180s and I think the equal of some of East Coasts or First Great Western's HSTs. I think the reputation is just a result of massive overcrowding as there were standees on that train and I only got a seat as a result of being in first class.

I agree with this tbh. I regularly use Voyagers from North Wales to London and they are not nearly as bad as the things I originally heard about them. The vestibules can be a tad whiffy sometimes but aside from that they aren't bad at all. The engine noise isn't as bad as on a 153/156 and the seats are quite nice (I loathe the armrests on IC70 seats) and the tilt is very fun. Having said this, I have never been on an overcrowded one, and up until I moved to North Wales I was used to NXEA 321s so anything will seem glorious compared to them.

Trainbuff

I understand that the reason the HST's have been withdrawn is that they are being fitted with Wi-fi AND to do work on the updated passenger reservation system that is being installed.

Anyone who travelled on them prior to Christmas will have seen the displays across the bulkheads in the coaches for the resevation system.

Mt understanding is that once the HST's are done then the Voyagers will have Wi-fi installed as per set 220 030 (at last!).

This does make sense. At this time there are less people using the trains for leisure due to poor weather, people paying back debt after Christmas, and children at school.

The HST's are much more needed in the main holiday season, so if we all have to do without them, it is better now than in mid August!!!!

Regards

YorkshireBear

Established Member
same here.

Seriusly though I had not intended to slag them themselves as theres plenty other places for that but my comments were purely made to agree with the opps point on HST usage and how its detrimental to the customer. Appologies again.

No wasnt aimed at you and was more trying to stop if before it got relentless.... :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I understand that the reason the HST's have been withdrawn is that they are being fitted with Wi-fi AND to do work on the updated passenger reservation system that is being installed.

Anyone who travelled on them prior to Christmas will have seen the displays across the bulkheads in the coaches for the resevation system.

Mt understanding is that once the HST's are done then the Voyagers will have Wi-fi installed as per set 220 030 (at last!).

This does make sense. At this time there are less people using the trains for leisure due to poor weather, people paying back debt after Christmas, and children at school.

The HST's are much more needed in the main holiday season, so if we all have to do without them, it is better now than in mid August!!!!

Regards

That makes a lot of sense, so in that case i think theyve made a good decision!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Or maybe that much information has passed my mind in the last month it may have slipped my memory.... ;)

P.S it isnt that im just useless... :(

RobShipway

Established Member

Regards

Hopefully this will mean that WiFI will be available for the HST's and Voyagers for when the Olympics start?

4SRKT

Established Member
Hopefully this will mean that WiFI will be available for the HST's and Voyagers for when the Olympics start?

Voyager Riding should be made some sort of new Olympic sport, designed to test endurance. That'd separate the wheat from the chaff.

To take part you have to ride in a 220 with broken aircon all the way from Aberdeen to Penzance. Before leaving Aberdeen the toilet retention tanks will be filled to Augean levels with ordure, then the water tanks drained. The buffet trolley will run out of drinks by Montrose. There will be hurdles all along the journey in the shape of points failures, cable thefts and unspecified 'operational difficulties'. At every station hordes of other Olympians will board, unable to get seats. First class will of course be empty but not declassified. Because the reservations system will be knackered *again* the reservations will not have downloaded and you will be repeatedly confronted by members of various shot-putting and Sumo wrestling teams clutching cheap advance tickets and accusing you of being in their seat. Finally on arrival at the 'Zance you will be greeted by the CEO of Cross Country, wanting to know if you've enjoyed the journey. Whoever has the lowest blood pressure after this wins the Gold Medal.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Voyager Riding should be made some sort of new Olympic sport, designed to test endurance. That'd separate the wheat from the chaff.

To take part you have to ride in a 220 with broken aircon all the way from Aberdeen to Penzance. Before leaving Aberdeen the toilet retention tanks will be filled to Augean levels with ordure, then the water tanks drained. The buffet trolley will run out of drinks by Montrose. There will be hurdles all along the journey in the shape of points failures, cable thefts and unspecified 'operational difficulties'. At every station hordes of other Olympians will board, unable to get seats. First class will of course be empty but not declassified. Because the reservations system will be knackered *again* the reservations will not have downloaded and you will be repeatedly confronted by members of various shot-putting and Sumo wrestling teams clutching cheap advance tickets and accusing you of being in their seat. Finally on arrival at the 'Zance you will be greeted by the CEO of Cross Country, wanting to know if you've enjoyed the journey. Whoever has the lowest blood pressure after this wins the Gold Medal.

post of the year so far!
Oh wow, another XC bashing thread.

Yawn.

I believe its purpose origionally was to question the diagramming of HSTs during the new TT, A question which has been answered but you cant argue with the fact that posts such as the above reinvent the usual anti XC rant into something different and to be fare, in comparison to some, the mild observations have been just that, mild compared to other threads.
And one more point, as a cupple of us have already made very clear, we have no wish to Bash XC Services :) :)

4SRKT

Established Member
Oh wow, another XC bashing thread.

Yawn.

More a Voyager abuse thread than XC bashing. Knocking Voyagers is so easy it's like taking candy from a baby. Still, they do leave themselves open to mockery/ridicule, so it's very hard to resist the temptation.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
More a Voyager abuse thread than XC bashing. Knocking Voyagers is so easy it's like taking candy from a baby. Still, they do leave themselves open to mockery/ridicule, so it's very hard to resist the temptation.

couldnt agree more!
Sent from a Scotrail 156 which I boarded at GLC to avoid another hour of 22x misery back to Waverley.

and as jimmyowl1992s question has been answered and he didnt want the thread to turn into yet another voyager slagging match then maybe the topic should be locked? If its not I know myself and a few others may not be able to controll ourselves!

387star

On Moderation
CrossCountry Facebook meet the managers is tomorrow from 4

Voyagers are now over 50% complete with regards to wi fi

Status
Not open for further replies.