• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC rolling stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topgun333

I was watching Portillo on the telly earlier aboard an XC HST and it got me thinking about XC. They have HSTs, 170s, 220s and 221s. What routes are each used on and are the HSTs and Voyagers interchangeable in practice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
What routes are each used on and are the HSTs and Voyagers interchangeable in practice?

In short - no. HSTs are only used on Scotland - South West corridor, and then only on certain diagrams which they may work a) everyday or b) some days. You won't find a HST on a Southampton - Manchester for example.

(No idea if such a service actually exists!)

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Voyagers are used on the Bristol/Bournemouth to Manchester corridor, the Reading to Newcastle corridor and most of the Plymouth to Edinburgh services.

Turbostars are used on the Cardiff to Nottingham and Birmingham to Leicester/Stansted Airport routes.

A HST usually operates the 0606 Edinburgh to Plymouth service and 1523 Plymouth to Leeds, and the 0600 Leeds to Plymouth and the 1224 Plymouth to Glasgow. On selected days (can't remember which one, however, one works the 0632 Dundee to Plymouth and 1724 Plymouth to Leeds return and the 0632 York to Plymouth and 1524 Plymouth to Edinburgh).

tbtc

Veteran Member
170s are only used on the ex-Central Trains services (Nottingham to Cardiff, Birmingham to Stansted). I can't say I've noticed any real "split" between the two/ three coach 170s - the Nottingham "shorts" tend to interwork with the longer Cardiff duties - is the same true of the Leicester "shorts"?

One Voyager works from Nottingham in the early morning, but otherwise they are restricted to the Manchester/ Scotland - Cornwall/ Bournemouth services.

HSTs only on the Scotland - Cornwall services.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
XC services through Cambridge are definitely a mix of two and three car services- presumably to set diagrams?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I can't say I've noticed any real "split" between the two/ three coach 170s - the Nottingham "shorts" tend to interwork with the longer Cardiff duties - is the same true of the Leicester "shorts"?

Me neither, and yes, Leicester locals will form the next Stansted for the majority of the day, and vice versa.

Voyagers sometimes work Leicester locals in times of disruption or stock/crew shortage, in a similar vein to the occasional 222s on the Ivanhoe line.

LowLevel

Established Member
There are booked 2,3,4 and 5 car workings for 170s on XC, however obviously they can be swapped like anything else from time to time.

BantamMenace

HSTs operate only via Leeds in regular service as they are maintained at Neville Hill just outside

Eagle

Established Member
When XC first reintroduced the HSTs I think there was one that went to Manchester at one point in its diagram. That hasn't happened for a couple of years though.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
When XC first reintroduced the HSTs I think there was one that went to Manchester at one point in its diagram. That hasn't happened for a couple of years though.

Was it just the summer Manchester Newquay Saturday service is i remember correctly?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
HSTs operate only via Leeds in regular service as they are maintained at Neville Hill just outside

The maintenance contract for XC's HSTs is actually with East Coast at Craigentinny in Edinburgh. They do stable at Neville Hill, who of course have HST knowledge (as do Laira in Plymouth), but they don't undertake "heavy maintenance" per se, just fueling/tanking/etc.

Its also true to say that XC experience significantly stronger demand through Leeds rather than Doncaster, meaning an HST via Doncaster would arguably be wasted capacity.

Eagle

Established Member
Would that be part of the general refurbishment programme? (They are 12 or 13 years old by now.)

I notice refurbished ones now have purple upholstery in first class.

TEW

Established Member
That refurbishment project happened a couple of years ago now. Standard Class seat covers were also replaced, but they're still Virgin moquette.

TEW

Established Member
There was a Newquay diagram too in 2009, but that was operated by a set hired in from National Express East Coast. The Manchester-Newquay diagram was the only one operated by a hired in set in 2009.

SeanG

Has anyone got a list of all of the locations that XC trains start from in the morning (ie first trains) and from where those units are stabled.?

The only one I can say for definate is that Newcastle starters are stabled at Tyne Yard

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The first XC departures from Reading, Bournemouth, Southampton, and Guildford (the only weekday departure) all run empty from Eastleigh TRSMD. Eight units in all start at Eastleigh, some leave as pairs and split to form two separate early departures.

Status
Not open for further replies.