• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC start fitting HSTs with PIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

shedman

The other night I noticed XC have started fitting their HSTs with a PIS through out the train and a control panel for it in the TGS. There was a sign above the panel saying it is isolated and will be switched on when all the sets have it fitted and it will also control the electronic reservation system. To my knowledge only one set has been done so far but I will happily be corrected :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteamPower

Was this service going to Leeds on Monday night? I caught the 19:03 HST from Birmingham New St which has these PIS screens fitted.

I can imagine Train Managers are very happy about this movie ;)

route:oxford

Established Member
The other night I noticed XC have started fitting their HSTs with a PIS through out the train and a control panel for it in the TGS. There was a sign above the panel saying it is isolated and will be switched on when all the sets have it fitted and it will also control the electronic reservation system. To my knowledge only one set has been done so far but I will happily be corrected :)

About time.

shedman

Was this service going to Leeds on Monday night? I caught the 19:03 HST from Birmingham New St which has these PIS screens fitted.

It will have been on that service yeah, it was the later arrival onto NL.

I think the are the first HSTs to be fitted with it although the trail refurb for FGW (the coaches that were on display at STEAM) had screens on the outside, not sure about the inside, but never entered traffic with them.

SteamPower

None of the East Midlands HSTs I've been on recently have been fitted with PIS screens which I'm quite surprised about given all the refurbs of their fleet they've done.

Maybe something to do with the 10 minute reservation system that was part of the XC franchise agreement?

But if they can do this I don't see why WiFi should be such a challenge for them...

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
None of the East Midlands HSTs I've been on recently have been fitted with PIS screens which I'm quite surprised about given all the refurbs of their fleet they've done.

I'm thinking it could be something to do with the 10 minute reservation system that was part of the XC franchise agreement?

But if they can do this I don't see why WiFi should be such a challenge for them...

Because WiFi requires them to pay a subscription to an external provider where as PIS adds value to the stock owned by the leasing company and has negligable costs to maintain and run

4SRKT

Established Member
I suppose XC are just trying to bring their HSTs in line with their Voyagers which certainly smell of PIS and a lot worse besides.

WillPS

Established Member

Maybe something to do with the 10 minute reservation system that was part of the XC franchise agreement?

None of EMTs refurbs have added/enhanced PIS in any way.

shedman

They were a one line display, similar to what is found in every train. I don't know what colour the display is because they're isolated at the minute

2 of our HST's have these screens. The electronis resveration systems on the voyagers are a nightmare the train managers ive spoken to are not enthusiastic tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.