• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC summer saturday 06.01 glasgow to paignton

Status
Not open for further replies.

msh666

Hi does anyone know what formation the Cross Country Summer Saturday 06.01 Glasgow to Paignton service is. Is it an HST, a voyager or super voyager or a combination of voyagers?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I am almost certain that 1V52 is a tram until the 6th of Sept (at least). The Frequently Requested Diagrams Thread agrees with me.

BestWestern

Established Member
What a massive enhancement that'll be then when it goes over to a Vomit Comet. Not.

I rather think I'd want a prize when I got to the other end after travelling the length of the country on a stinking sweatbox!

Last edited:

causton

Established Member
What a massive enhancement that'll be then when it goes over to a Vomit Comet. Not.

I rather think I'd want a prize when I got to the other end after travelling the length of the country on a stinking sweatbox!

I think that's the first time I've heard a bad comment about a Voyager - I'm sure nobody else will agree with you! ;)

Rich McLean

Established Member
Also as of Saturday 12th September, 1V52 terminates in Plymouth, returning as 1E67 1625 Plymouth - Leeds

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's booked HST for 'Summer Saturdays', of which there is only one left. Last Saturday 1V52 was 43378+43384.

class26

You won't hear that from me. Quite like Voyagers to be honest.

I have never taken part in the Voyager debate on here before as have n`t been on one for many year but recently took one between York and Doncaster and couldn`t believe have incredibly uncomfortable the seats in standard class are. Simply awful. No thought at all has gone into the design , just the cheapest possible option taken. The thought of a long journey without medical assistance is horrifying.

Ian Walmsley in Modern Railways is trying to get a campaign going for better seats on all new stock and I urge everyone on here to get involved, write to TOC`s, franchisees, dft etc . If there is no response then those doing the choosing will assume we are happy with what is on offer.

Through my work I frequently use rail services in different parts of the world but mainly Europe. Many of the standard class seats in Europe are better than our first class offerings.

BestWestern

Established Member
That's an interesting complaint, and one I've not come across so far I must admit. They are certainly claustrophobic I agree; the narrow body profile, rather unpleasant dull yellow/beige tones from the interior colour scheme, prevalence of blown light bulbs, and of course the dreaded 'toilet smell', all make sure of that.

Just nasty. And yet the same operator's HST sets are the best in the country, and absolute joy!

Minilad

Established Member
That's an interesting complaint, and one I've not come across so far I must admit. They are certainly claustrophobic I agree; the narrow body profile, rather unpleasant dull yellow/beige tones from the interior colour scheme, prevalence of blown light bulbs, and of course the dreaded 'toilet smell', all make sure of that.

Just nasty. And yet the same operator's HST sets are the best in the country, and absolute joy!

Voyagers ordered and specified by the Sainted Virgin Trains
HST refurb specified by the hated Arriva XC

Just sayin
;)

Martin_1981

I've done Exeter to Birmingham and back (2.5 hours) on a Voyager and that was enough. That was just before XC reintroduced the HST's back in 2008. Trains were full and standing in both directions. The Voyagers would have been better had they been longer trains i.e 5 and 6 coaches instead of 4 and 5 coaches.

I do love the XC HST's though. A nice, spacious, airy feel and still a much smoother and quieter ride despite their age.

Last edited:

Hornet

and of course the dreaded 'toilet smell'

Such a massive advance in Rail Technology! I remember the complaints about the smell of the applied brakes pervading the carriages in the early days of HST operations! How times change!

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Such a massive advance in Rail Technology! I remember the complaints about the smell of the applied brakes pervading the carriages in the early days of HST operations! How times change!

Yes, I remember that, it afflicted the mk3 electrically hauled stock on the WCML also, from someone who unfortunately hasn't travelled on a HST for some time, has the problem been fully cured by now?

najaB

Veteran Member
Yes, I remember that, it afflicted the mk3 electrically hauled stock on the WCML also, from someone who unfortunately hasn't travelled on a HST for some time, has the problem been fully cured by now?
No, not fully. You're certainly still occasionally treated to hot brake smell if the driver needs to shed some speed in a hurry.

No, not fully. You're certainly still occasionally treated to hot brake smell if the driver needs to shed some speed in a hurry.

It does help that the brake pads are of a different material now so don't smell as much, they used to contain traces of asbestos originally!

Ash Bridge

Established Member

Ah, that's nice to know that something I remember from my youth hasn't changed then, can't say it ever bothered me.

Thanks!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Hi does anyone know what formation the Cross Country Summer Saturday 06.01 Glasgow to Paignton service is. Is it an HST, a voyager or super voyager or a combination of voyagers?

I was on the return working (Paignton to Leeds as far as Brum) last Saturday and it was an HST - although i think this was just for the summer season which has finished

I have done Edinburgh - Plymouth and Newcastle - Exeter far too many times. I fly now unless I can get an HST.

Steve14

I get that smell every time I'm about to get off at Slough from Paddington! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.