• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC to get 153's

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilLoaf

142067 - 06.25 ex Plymouth IIRC. If my records are correct 4th August. Web Gemini could be your friend - if Mr. Sulzer thinks thats duff!

Yes i remeber that one aswell, i knew FGW helped out virgin a few times. They done the same sort of thing a few times with the 13.25, 14.25, 16.25 Ex Plymouth, ran a DMU to Exeter and voyager forward due to lateness of the inbound service. Once the DMU went as far as Bristol.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adambro

I don't know about the internet but i read about it a Rail Mag. It was an artical on where all the DMU's and EMU's are going to cascaded to.

**Please Note - its not the artical in the Todays Railways mag a few month ago. Things have changed a little in the DMU who gets what debate. ***

I think it might be a rail one, i hunt out the issue and let you know which one its in.

Found it yet?

Phoenix

Established Member
Then it would be because you are a newbie sir!

Okay I may be new but the last time they regularly ran was before 2007 so it is some time ago so it is quite a news turn of events Isn't it.
But if you would like to prove it you can show us all a shot of a 153 running a regular diagram NOT A STOCK MOVE then I will bow down and admit defeat.
But I highly doubt you can so .................. JOG ON.

Phoenix

Established Member
Okay I may be new but the last time they regularly ran was before 2007 so it is some time ago so it is quite a news turn of events Isn't it.
But if you would like to prove it you can show us all a shot of a 153 running a regular diagram NOT A STOCK MOVE then I will bow down and admit defeat.

What I meant to put is if you can find a shot in 2007 hence why I agreed about them running before my time.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes i remeber that one aswell, i knew FGW helped out virgin a few times. They done the same sort of thing a few times with the 13.25, 14.25, 16.25 Ex Plymouth, ran a DMU to Exeter and voyager forward due to lateness of the inbound service. Once the DMU went as far as Bristol.

I've experienced it personally whilst in the south west! Travelling back from Torquay to Plymouth on the evening of 28th August, the connecting service at Newton Abbot, which was a XC service (booked Voyager) turned up as a FGW 150! Not certain as to why, presumed either a failure or a cancellation earlier in the journey, the service being resumed at Bristol with a 150. This is just a guess though, I'm not certain as to the actual reason why it happened.

AlexS

Established Member
http://richardjones8646.fotopic.net/p32973214.html

There's one going to Nuneaton presumably due to engineering works beyond there in 2006.

As I said, they ran at least semi regularly on the route up until the demise of Central Trains.

I don't think I have to justify myself to a new age platform cabbage.

What is 'before your time' is recent to the rest of us, primarily because you've evidently been doing it for no time whatsoever.

LilLoaf

http://richardjones8646.fotopic.net/p32973214.html

There's one going to Nuneaton presumably due to engineering works beyond there in 2006.

As I said, they ran at least semi regularly on the route up until the demise of Central Trains.

I don't think I have to justify myself to a new age platform cabbage.

What is 'before your time' is recent to the rest of us, primarily because you've evidently been doing it for no time whatsoever.

Cheers, i knew they used to run that service regally. People thought i was talking madness. Central trains used to run them on this route along with 158's and other DMU's.

So its just old ground for the 153's when they do return to the route.

P156KWJ

Established Member

I've seen many 153s on tha route - useful things dogboxes :D

Noam

It sounds sensible to me. Regular longer-distance punters will soon learn to get on the 170 at BHM for the ride to LEI whereas those getting on at NBR will get on the 153 and be glad of a seat.

For a while when LM ran the route the same thing occurred with a 158 + 153.

THere are few sections on this route where you can do over 75 anyway.

TheWalrus

Established Member
I don't think they would, but can someone confirm it one way or another?

mumrar

Established Member
I don't think they would, but can someone confirm it one way or another?

If by your vague question you're referring to the thread title, I work for XC at New St on the ex-Central side, and we've heard the rumours too, but that's all they are, no official confirmation.

As to the question of 75mph on the route, you have got a significant amount over 75mph, certainly enough that it would have to be reflected in the timetable. So more seats, but slower services?!?

Last edited:

Phoenix

Established Member
Right thats it Ive had enough with 153's run on this line thing!!!
I have been photographing at Water Orton for the last year and I have not seen one in regular service.
Yes maybe they did with central trains a while ago but as far as Im concerned this is a new development hasn't been seen for at least a year.

Kneedown

Established Member
153's (Wedges - Cos you always seem to get the thin end!) to XC?

I doubt it as there are none available, but they are perfectly welcome to have all of ours! (EMT's!)

BTW, 153302 has NOT been refurbished since it came to EMT, none have.

Regards,
K'down.

P156KWJ

Established Member
153302 has been somewhat. It's got new seats, saw it last week in P2 at Nottingham. Used to have FGW seats now it has Central Trains seats.

AlexS

Established Member
I suspect the ex Wales and West 158 seats installed in these units have had so little attention they're by now a health hazard, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're being replaced!

P156KWJ

Established Member
a hoover up would count as a refurb on our 153s :lol: The ones from 'one' (the ones that were in RR livery 153311/326) have faded beyond belief, they are full of dust, and I am unhappy about it, it is quite a health hazard to someone like myself with asthma.

devon_metro

Established Member
153302 has been somewhat. It's got new seats, saw it last week in P2 at Nottingham. Used to have FGW seats now it has Central Trains seats.

They actually used to have Regional Railways class 158 seats which were completely knackered.

Status
Not open for further replies.