• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC train avoiding Bristol Temple M 11/11/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm just curious as to whether anyone knows why 1S49 10:25 Plymouth to Edinburgh is scheduled to avoid Bristol Temple Meads on Sunday 11th November? (Scheduled to run Plymouth-Taunton-Westbury-Bath Spa (reverse)- Swindon (reverse)-onwards towards Cheltenham and Edinburgh.)

Strangely, it is scheduled to run via Bristol on Sundays 4th and 18th November, so it doesn't seem consistent.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C77126/2018/11/11/advanced

All other XC trains on the 11th appear to be running via Bristol Temple M (although then proceed via Bath and Swindon, instead of Bristol Parkway, because of scheduled engineering works).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Hi all,

I'm just curious as to whether anyone knows why 1S49 10:25 Plymouth to Edinburgh is scheduled to avoid Bristol Temple Meads on Sunday 11th November? (Scheduled to run Plymouth-Taunton-Westbury-Bath Spa (reverse)- Swindon (reverse)-onwards towards Cheltenham and Edinburgh.)

Strangely, it is scheduled to run via Bristol on Sundays 4th and 18th November, so it doesn't seem consistent.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C77126/2018/11/11/advanced

All other XC trains on the 11th appear to be running via Bristol Temple M (although then proceed via Bath and Swindon, instead of Bristol Parkway, because of scheduled engineering works).

Because the route between Taunton and Bristol is also closed until 1300 so diverts via Westbury and reverses at Bath.

Veteran Member
Because the route between Taunton and Bristol is also closed until 1300 so diverts via Westbury and reverses at Bath.
Thanks. Taunton-Bristol locals are still in the timetable, but it's 2 months away...

Aictos

Established Member
What I don't understand is why the reversal at Bath Spa when it's possible to do Plymouth - Taunton - Westbury - Swindon - Cheltenham Spa etc with just the one reversal at Swindon needed.

Couldn't a Rail Replacement service operate Taunton - Bristol Temple Meads - Bath Spa - Swindon with rail connections at Taunton and Swindon?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
What I don't understand is why the reversal at Bath Spa when it's possible to do Plymouth - Taunton - Westbury - Swindon - Cheltenham Spa etc with just the one reversal at Swindon needed.

Couldn't a Rail Replacement service operate Taunton - Bristol Temple Meads - Bath Spa - Swindon with rail connections at Taunton and Swindon?

For one, XC crew don't sign via Melksham and I have no idea if Voyagers are cleared that way either. Also because of the way XC tends to 'step back' into paths, it may well work out being just as worthwhile to run via Bath Spa rather than sit at Swindon, approaching Standish Junction or Cheltenham waiting their booked path up towards Birmingham. Needless to say it is also cheaper to bus to just Bath rather than Swindon!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I will add though, fair play to XC here - in the current railway environment where so many Tocs appear to be abandoning diversionary routes and 'creative' planning and instead throw their money at bus providers whilst poor punters have to sit on a coach for hours on end (anyone remember Crewe-Glasgow / Edinburgh being separate buses all the way a few years ago?), to still maintain the route knowledge and active diversions that they do is a massive credit to them.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I will add though, fair play to XC here - in the current railway environment where so many Tocs appear to be abandoning diversionary routes and 'creative' planning and instead throw their money at bus providers whilst poor punters have to sit on a coach for hours on end (anyone remember Crewe-Glasgow / Edinburgh being separate buses all the way a few years ago?), to still maintain the route knowledge and active diversions that they do is a massive credit to them.

Agreed- They've certainly done quite a lot to buck the current trend of train companies resorting to replacement busses/avoiding diverting their trains, during scheduled engineering works.

Parallel

Established Member
Quite surprised it's not avoiding a reversal at Bath Spa via Melksham?
Likely XC train crew don't sign the Melksham route, and also the possibility of Voyagers not being cleared between Trowbridge and Chippenham via Melksham.

SC43090

I think iv'e put these in the correct part of the forum..... Between Saturday 27th October & Sunday 2nd December 2018 inclusive, XC services are diverted between Cheltenham Spa & Bristol TM via Swindon & Bath Spa...... The following should be operated BY HSTs....

Saturday 27th October to Saturday 1st December 2018 Inclusive

1V44 0611 Leeds Plymouth

1S55 1325 Plymouth Edinburgh

1V50 0606 Edinburgh Plymouth

1E73 1625 Plymouth Leeds

Sunday 28th October 2018 to Sunday 2nd December 2018 Inclusive... Except on Sunday 11th November 2018...

1S53 1225 Plymouth Edinburgh

1V48 0810 Leeds Plymouth

1E67 1524 Plymouth Leeds

1V50 0900 Leeds Plymouth

1E73 1625 Plymouth Leeds

Sunday 11th November 2018 the following alteration will apply

1V48 0810 Leeds Bristol Parkway

1S47 1240 Bristol Parkway Edinburgh

Monday 29th October to Friday 16th November 2018... Inclusive

1V44 0600 Leeds Exeter ST Davids

1S51 1224 Exeter ST Davids Glasgow Central

1V46 0645 York Plymouth