• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Train in collision with animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Can vouch for that, been on a train that hit a cow, a voyager in fact, when we reached the next station and got off the smell was horrible. That was two hours after hitting the cow as well.

Was going to say, was the smell not coming from the Voyager itself, rather than the cow?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ferret

Established Member
Can vouch for that, been on a train that hit a cow, a voyager in fact, when we reached the next station and got off the smell was horrible. That was two hours after hitting the cow as well.

Well, this one seems to have demolished 13 of the poor things, so I imagine this was worse!

Ferret

Established Member
I hit one a while back now. The smell I will remember for ever.

You're a jinx as well! Wasn't I with you when I sat near Fenny Compton for two hours after some wassock drove his lorry into a bridge?!

Darandio

Established Member
Looks forward to reading the Daily Mail tomorrow with a piece by the VRG, "Why Trains Need To Be Banned"

Ferret

Established Member
Obviously not much sympathy here for a farmer possibly losing his livelihood.

Thatt's a reasonable point, and it may well be the farmer who cops the blame as well. Not a good evening for him for sure....

sprinterguy

Established Member
Must say im impressed the voyager stayed on the line, im thinking of the crash in scotland that killed a fair few. How much heavier is a voyager carrige than one of those DVT like carriges they used to use (i cant remember what they are)
The driving vehicle of a Voyager is almost 25 tonnes heavier than the mark 2 DBSOs, such as the one involved in the Polmont crash.

Collisions between trains and cows aren't uncommon, and in the vast majority of cases, irrelevant of the wide range of rolling stock involved, the trains remain on the track. It's even been known for Pacers to collide with cows, and they remain on the track. With Polmont there were other factors in play rather than just the mass of the animal the train stuck: A leg bone became trapped in the leading bogie of the DBSO, which was the principal cause of the train becoming derailed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Indeed, I was once at Carlisle when a much delayed Voyager rolled in looking much the worse the wear after striking one of the unfortunate beasts somewhere in the Lake District, still with bits of cow hanging off the front end. Nasty stuff.

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
Well, this one seems to have demolished 13 of the poor things, so I imagine this was worse!

Can imagine the whole experience was horrible, hitting one was pretty scary from a passengers point of view, hitting 13 must have been really bad, especially for the driver.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Obviously not much sympathy here for a farmer possibly losing his livelihood.

The fencing being NR's responsibility presumably means the farmer's insurance will re-omburse him and then claim the cost back off NR?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Depending on the damage, maybe one of the spare pair of VT 221 driving cars will find a use with XC pending repairs.
Although I can imagine a lot of underside damage throughout the train.

Darandio

Established Member
if they never repare that voyager it will be too soon, its a voyager! As someone said on XCs facebook bring back locos, would have potentially been far simpler

I am not their biggest fan, but will lay off them here. To collide with such an amount of large livestock and not derail or cause harm to the passengers could be down to the safety/design of the stock, or it could be sheer luck of course.

Circumstances/speeds/conditions will differ, but this type of situation has ended up far worse in the past.

Requeststop

Congrats to USHawk - 5 pages of replies the original post - so on your single journey what would be you chances of being stopped on your journey if you hit a herd of cows?

I'm not a gambler but on my regular route St.Erth - St Ives such as it is - the chances are almost ZERO

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The fencing being NR's responsibility presumably means the farmer's insurance will re-omburse him and then claim the cost back off NR?

Yep, at KWVR it is our responsibility for all boundary fencing, i imagine it is very similar for network rail. Farmer i imagine will have insurance, if he doesn't then thats more fool him.

Last edited:

ushawk

Established Member
Congrats to USHawk - 5 pages of replies the original post - so on your single journey what would be you chances of being stopped on your journey if you hit a herd of cows?

I'm not a gambler but on my regular route St.Erth - St Ives such as it is - the chances are almost ZERO

Sorry, what ? Its unlikely you would be on a train that would hit livestock, but it occasionally happens. Network Rail checking fences on a regular basis can prevent it, but theres only so much that can do - especially if animals force their way onto the tracks.

Below is a link to a picture that the passenger took of the train (there is a bit of blood on it as you would expect so if you dont want to see it, dont look - it isnt covered though) - https://p.twimg.com/Ase7pTFCQAANlSz.jpg

Does look like it has stood up very well to the collision.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
if they never repare that voyager it will be too soon, its a voyager! As someone said on XCs facebook bring back locos, would have potentially been far simpler

Lets face facts for once. Voyagers are damn sight better than the loco hauled stock they replaced; quicker, safer, more reliable and best of all you don't have to mess about getting the doors open.

And while I'm at it the Pendolino's are pretty good too. And who cares if the windows on the small side; what exactly is there to see? The WCML is not the S&C!

TEW

Established Member
Sorry, what ? Its unlikely you would be on a train that would hit livestock, but it occasionally happens. Network Rail checking fences on a regular basis can prevent it, but theres only so much that can do - especially if animals force their way onto the tracks.

Below is a link to a picture that the passenger took of the train (there is a bit of blood on it as you would expect so if you dont want to see it, dont look - it isnt covered though) - https://p.twimg.com/Ase7pTFCQAANlSz.jpg

Does look like it has stood up very well to the collision.

Looks like the coupler has taken quite a bit of damage, but other than that it appears just to be bodywork that has been taken off rather than the actual underframe being damaged.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I dont think this thread nees to be used to argue about voyagers, we have plenty of others for this.

Most trains will have body work damage in this collision but i think the main disadvantage for the voyager is the exposed coupling, that will have taken a right hammering.

the sniper

Established Member
wouldnt it? It survived the derailment very well. Oh and for the record I like pendos

Good for you. All I'm saying is that, in my experience, Pendos look worse after coming up against obstacles that make their way into their path. Voyagers have less cosmetic bodywork.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I am not their biggest fan, but will lay off them here. To collide with such an amount of large livestock and not derail or cause harm to the passengers could be down to the safety/design of the stock, or it could be sheer luck of course.

Circumstances/speeds/conditions will differ, but this type of situation has ended up far worse in the past.

You mean like Polmont which stopped passengers getting carried in the front coach of a driving car above 100mph.

Saying that I am not sure if the incidents can be compared, where the speeds the same etc. I am sure the wieght of the vechiles was a factor at Polmont (too light). But good for the voyager, remember at great heck train -v- land rover all would have bieng ok, it is just the train going the other way that was the problem.

I guess what i am saying is it would be a bigger scandals if any train derailed hitting animals without other influences involved (such as points or curves)

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
one rag this morning is still calling them 'Virgin Cross Country' :(

Status
Not open for further replies.