• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Train in collision with animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

ushawk

Established Member
Evening all,

Trains between Oxford and Banbury are currently suspended this evening after a XC train has reportedly collided with a heard of animals near Tackley. Not much info, although someone apparently on board is tweeting info on the link below. They have said that no person on board the train is injured and that the train has remained on the rails.

Tweets are here - https://twitter.com/#!/drewb

XC ticket holders can use FGW, SWT and LUL on all reasonable routes and Chiltern between Oxford and Bicester Town via Bicester North. Also now beint accepted on Virgin between London and Birmingham/Manchester and on London Midland.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
Just appeared in my Twitter feed:

In the front carriage of a hi speed train that just hit something (something big and alive...) life passing before eyes moment
Our virgin (later confirmed to be XC, not VT)train just outside Oxford has hit a herd of animals at hi speed and we think a vehicle. People in tears. train is on the tracks
Everyone incl driver is ok. People saw a vehicle and a lot of blood... We're being assured it was a herd of cattle. Felt like we'd derailed

Sounds nasty, but lucky that everyone seems to be OK.

EDIT - now on NRE:
Animals on the line are causing disruption at Tackley.

Because of this, there are no trains between Oxford and Banbury. There is no current estimate for when a normal service will resume.

Replacement buses have been requested but there is no estimate for when these will become available.

David

Established Member
1 Good thing about that guy who's tweeting ....

Everyone feels shaken but train staff great, have done two laps of the train telling us what they know. Engine taken out by the crash

Some good positive comments about staff!

Yew

Established Member
Do we know what uni it is? they say 'High speed Train' do they mean a HST, or a 135mph voyager?

ushawk

Established Member
Do we know what uni it is? they say 'High speed Train' do they mean a HST, or a 135mph voyager?

Will be a Voyager, XC dont run HSTs down through Oxford - all the same to the public.

SWT Twitter have said that its cows that have been hit - NRE reporting it as "Animals on the Line and a broken down train" now.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

I don't think XC diagram HSTs to Oxford, so pretty sure it'd be a Voyager.

David

Established Member
Glad to see they are getting things mooving again <D

Don't start that bull again, because everyone will be milking it for all it's worth!

PS. I wonder if the onboard staff will be offering everyone a complimentary steak or burger while things are disrupted!

[takes cover]

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Don't start that bull again, because everyone will be milking it for all it's worth!

PS. I wonder if the onboard staff will be offering everyone a complimentary steak or burger while things are disrupted!

[takes cover]

I wonder if they herded the passengers onto another train?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Oh if only Crosscountry served anything like that in the first place!

Meanwhile, if you are referring to, erm, "salvaging" something from this messy situation, then I also don't think that the Voyager buffet is actually equipped with anything that could properly cook a chunk of extremely fresh beef...

ushawk

Established Member
Looks as if it was 1M62 1545 Bournemouth to Manchester Piccadilly

Looks like the 1445 from the LDBs as it is shown as delayed at Banbury, and cancelled north of there. 1545 is being shown as starting from Banbury, but delayed throughout.

wintonian

Established Member
Will be a Voyager, XC dont run HSTs down through Oxford - all the same to the public.

SWT Twitter have said that its cows that have been hit - NRE reporting it as "Animals on the Line and a broken down train" now.

True, but I think thats the first time I have herd anyone discribe a cattle truck as a High Speed Train.

dk1

Veteran Member
Bit of info...

Attachments

• 394332_10150818449241799_594991798_9834499_1850662768_n.jpg
    394332_10150818449241799_594991798_9834499_1850662768_n.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 346

Minilad

Established Member
I can confirm it was 1M58 the 1445 BHM-MAN train involved. Hit approx 12-15 cows and has caused substantial damage to the coupler and front of the train set 221136. All engines have shut down but the train has not derailed. Fitter on the way to assist. No vehicle was involved just cows

ushawk

Established Member
The guy on Twitter has said that they still haven't moved, so that's 4 hours they have been stuck now, said the train will be going back to Oxford shortly.

Flamingo

Established Member
Everybody will be able to see how fast the cowboys from Network Rail can open the line...

It must be the day for it, there was a bull on the line near Bishton as well (between Severn Tunnel and Newport).

Ferret

Established Member
Shall I put a steak on it mooooving before the topside of ten o clock

Just how many bad jokes can you fit into one posting?:)

The poor train (and if it really is 221136 then that unit is a jinx having been the unit involved in the Copmanthorpe derailment) is setting back to Oxford at 4mph because the car wash button is stuck! I hope the pax and crew didn't have any pressing engagements this evening.......

Minilad

Established Member
Just how many bad jokes can you fit into one posting?:)

The poor train (and if it really is 221136 then that unit is a jinx having been the unit involved in the Copmanthorpe derailment) is setting back to Oxford at 4mph because the car wash button is stuck! I hope the pax and crew didn't have any pressing engagements this evening.......
\

Yep 136 it is. Car wash button stuck. Now that is adding salt to the wounds

YorkshireBear

Established Member
He says high speed, by that he means XC are an express service who run fast trains :)

Must say im impressed the voyager stayed on the line, im thinking of the crash in scotland that killed a fair few. How much heavier is a voyager carrige than one of those DVT like carriges they used to use (i cant remember what they are)

Ferret

Established Member
\

Yep 136 it is. Car wash button stuck. Now that is adding salt to the wounds

Yes, 4mph back to Oxford! I gather it has now made it at long last. The delay report in TRUST makes for interesting reading!

Ferret

Established Member
Just glad it wasn't me involved in it! Doesn't sound like much fun - I remember RC telling me about her cow incident at Willington - she said the stench was horrendous!

TEW

Established Member
Can vouch for that, been on a train that hit a cow, a voyager in fact, when we reached the next station and got off the smell was horrible. That was two hours after hitting the cow as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.