• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Vogager running between Nottingham and Cardiff Central

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's was a XC vogager doing on the Birmingham New Street to Nottingham service and then later I saw it head for Cardiff Central?, I thought it was always 170

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
There was a voyager working I think it was the 08:45 Cardiff - Nottingham service last week.

I have seen it happen a few times although I dont think they go all the way to Nottingham I think it is only as far as Birmingham where passengers board a class 170.

I think a class 170 has been used to cover for a class 220 before one one of crosscountrys other routes as well

Schnellzug

Established Member
*Waits for first person to complain about how not fair it is that they have to put with Vogagers and how they ought to use HSTs.*
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Some Voyager vice 170s are due to Senior Conductor non availability as well

How's that work, then? I know the doors on Vogagers are worked by the Driver, but they'd still need a guard or conductor, as appropriate, wouldn't they?

Minilad

Established Member
How's that work, then? I know the doors on Vogagers are worked by the Driver, but they'd still need a guard or conductor, as appropriate, wouldn't they?

We have two types of guard at XC
Train Mangagers - ex Virgin XC so sign Voyagers
Senior Conductors - ex Central Trains so sign 170s

So in the case of the Nottingham - Cardiff trains, and Birmingham - Leicester, if a Senior Conductor is not available for whatever reason but there is a Train Manager then the service could be worked by a Voyager (Subject to TM signing the road)

Martin_1981

I am aware that Voyagers occasionally work diagrams between Birmingham and Leicester in place of the usual class 170. Does anyone know if they have ever gone all the way to Stansted, or are they only cleared as far as Leicester? I know when the Birmingham-Derby route via Burton is closed, XC sometimes divert Voyagers and HST's on NE-SW services via Leicester and the MML.

Minilad

Established Member
I am aware that Voyagers occasionally work diagrams between Birmingham and Leicester in place of the usual class 170. Does anyone know if they have ever gone all the way to Stansted, or are they only cleared as far as Leicester? I know when the Birmingham-Derby route via Burton is closed, XC sometimes divert Voyagers and HST's on NE-SW services via Leicester and the MML.

Voyagers are not cleared into Stansted. I don't think there is anything stopping them going to, say, Cambridge from Birmingham though. Don't sign that way so not 100% sure

Flywaver

Platform 2 at Stansted has now been extended also the signal has been moved further so pretty much a Voyager can now run to Stansted. But it will have more severe speed restrictions not being allowed SP boards

Status
Not open for further replies.