• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyager dot-matrix displays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugby

Established Member
Something I noticed for the first time on a Voyager on Saturday evening:

The rolling display was giving the time, temperature outside and current speed, all the way from Derby to Birmingham.

Is this a new feature? I havn't seen it before. The current speed was interesting with a maximum of 122 mph. in the Elford area!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Yes I've seen this also on an XC Voyager although this was several years ago now, I seem to recall the max speed displayed was similar (121 mph) between Stafford and Wolverhampton in my case.

virgintrain1

Part of every Voyager TMS, but disabled by default so this would have been re-enabled by one the train crew.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
If the story goes correctly, Virgin had them on by default when the Voyagers & Pendolino's first entered service. They advertised them as 125 MPH trains but they rarely reached 125 so were disabled out of embarrassment.

I've also experienced it - once! - on an XC Voyager going north-east from Plymouth, and it was also many years ago. However, it was intermittent, and totally absent north of Bristol; that was a great disappointment, as I'd hoped to see at what speed it climbed the Lickey!

anamyd

On Moderation
Huh, didn't know this was a thing. whenever I'm on Pendolinos I do feel like I'm going fast and tilting but not a whole lot else. i think Virgin even boasted about how they "whizz people along" to their destination!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Something I noticed for the first time on a Voyager on Saturday evening:

The rolling display was giving the time, temperature outside and current speed, all the way from Derby to Birmingham.

Is this a new feature? I havn't seen it before. The current speed was interesting with a maximum of 122 mph. in the Elford area!

While quite rare on UK trains, these details are quite common on Passenger Information Screens on many Continental European trains in my experience; the Frecciarossa in Italy for instance - the weather, journey details and speed were shown through the journey, though that was on a flat screen monitor rather than an LCD scrolling display.

I've often though UK trains, at least long-distance InterCity ones should provide this sort of information.

whhistle

On Moderation
Train Managers can enable the extra info in the TMS.
Many don't bother.
I wonder if the above absence was to do with a change of crew at Bristol?

Jonfun

Established Member
I'm not sure the circumstances when they do it, but I know they *can* do it. It might well be one set is running around with it activated; it isn't the sort of thing anyone is ever going to go in and deliberately turn on or off, unless they were playing around with it and just pressed the relevant button. I couldnt even tell you how to turn it on and off tbh.

Andyh82

Established Member
If the story goes correctly, Virgin had them on by default when the Voyagers & Pendolino's first entered service. They advertised them as 125 MPH trains but they rarely reached 125 so were disabled out of embarrassment.

Could you also get a situation where the display may show 126mph, which might lead to a load of knashing of teeth on social media?

Status
Not open for further replies.