• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyager - Mobile Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

1e10

I've had a quick search for the answer to this specific question of mine but haven't been able to dig anything up, so apologies if this is already covered elsewhere.

I travel frequently on the BRI BHM route, mostly on Voyagers but occasionally manage to catch the HST. Mobile reception is excellent on the HST, terrible on the Voyager. I'm aware of the technical reasons for this.

I'm on the 3 network, who only offer 3G and 4G services. My question: Does anybody else travel this route or elsewhere on Voyagers and find network operators offering 2G services to be any more reliable whilst traveling?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Yes, mobile reception on 220/221 units is generally terrible, but that's what you get for essentially travelling in a mobile and modern day Faraday cage.

390s are like it as well so it seems, at least the one's I've travelled on have been.

It doesn't really matter where you are or what network you're with it'll still be the same naff level of connectivity and I'm with Vodafone, my tablet is on either EE or 3 depending on which SIM has credit on at any particular time.

Mordac

Established Member
Yes, mobile reception on 220/221 units is generally terrible, but that's what you get for essentially travelling in a mobile and modern day Faraday cage.

390s are like it as well so it seems, at least the one's I've travelled on have been.

It doesn't really matter where you are or what network you're with it'll still be the same naff level of connectivity and I'm with Vodafone, my tablet is on either EE or 3 depending on which SIM has credit on at any particular time.
Virgin has, however, fitted their units with signal boosters to get around this, and they make a noticeable difference. Arriva CrossCountry, of course, haven't bothered.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Virgin has, however, fitted their units with signal boosters to get around this, and they make a noticeable difference. Arriva CrossCountry, of course, haven't bothered.

How long ago was that then? Because last time I used VWC about 4 years or possibly more ago, my mobile could barely get any reception.

Established Member
I find signal is a lot better on pendos than voyagers-be that voyagers of the XC or VT type.

It even seems better when I head to London on a pendo rather than an LM 350! (Not that I really do either particularly often)

Mordac

Established Member
How long ago was that then? Because last time I used VWC about 4 years or possibly more ago, my mobile could barely get any reception.
I think it was last year. Originally they only had a booster for EE, but this was eventually extended IIRC.

mralexn

What I normally do to try and get around this is as follows. (this will only really work if you are using your phone to tether)

So I put my phone into my bag, plugged into a power bank, and put my bag on the overhead luggage rack, as far away from the windows as possible with the phone facing upwards. Normally seems to do the trick and at least gives me a usable connection.

darloscott

Last time I travelled on one I had 4G all the way from St Austell to Exeter which I was impressed with. Have they added repeaters anywhere in the coaches?

mpthomson

Isn't it something to do with window coatings? The construction is really no different then the 390s or anything else from that era.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Don't know why but GPS, even my iPad which uses GLONAS and GPS doesn't work on 390s or Voyagers.

brompton rail

Best place to stand for mobile reception is in the connection between carriages - the rubbery 'tunnel' offers least resistance to mobile signals.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
A lot depends on the phone too! My iPhone gets a great signal all the time, when I had a Samsung (same network) could not get a signal most of the time. I travel on voyagers a lot, and don't struggle at all with the iPhone

BestWestern

Established Member
If you're enjoying the usual XC standard of comfort with zero chance of a seat, you can achieve a small 'win' by standing in the First Class vestibule and logging in to the complimentary WiFi (in line with the rest of the superb CrossCountry customer experience, those in pleb class must pay if they want the luxury of contact with the outside world. First get it free).

mrmartin

Yes it's a huge problem on both Pendos and Voyagers IMO. A 350/185 on TPE will give me solid 3G/4G from Edinburgh to Preston (on Voda/3) even in remote areas, the same journey on a Pendo or Voyager will have virtually no coverage.

I can't see the boosters being much use either tbh considering how long ago they were installed and LTE uses totally different bands. I don't even think there was 3G when they were originally installed.

HSTFan57

GPS reception on Voyagers is pretty much non-existent, so I suspect they are pretty good Faraday cages. Mobile phone reception is probably affected by the same issue. I write smartphone navigation software as a hobby, and Voyagers are useless for conducting testing. Given the range of gadgets that use GPS for one reason or another, I suspect GPS-blocking is going to be increasingly seen as customer-hostile in future.

route:oxford

Established Member
I can't see the boosters being much use either tbh considering how long ago they were installed and LTE uses totally different bands. I don't even think there was 3G when they were originally installed.

3G was launched 14 years ago wasn't it?

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
The WiFi on Voyagers is brilliant in comparison to the awful WiFi on Turbos!!

Nobody mentioned WiFi....this thread is talking about actual phone signal , which is basically crap due to the tinted windows deflecting signal in from masts and out from phones. Considering they have blinds , I'm not so sure the heavy tinting is needed.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
GPS reception on Voyagers is pretty much non-existent, so I suspect they are pretty good Faraday cages. Mobile phone reception is probably affected by the same issue. I write smartphone navigation software as a hobby, and Voyagers are useless for conducting testing. Given the range of gadgets that use GPS for one reason or another, I suspect GPS-blocking is going to be increasingly seen as customer-hostile in future.

If you're prepared to stand in the vestibules on Voyagers, there's no problem getting a GPS signal there...

1e10

I've recently switched to Vodafone and the 800Mhz 4G reception seems to work much better for me.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I've noticed that the reception on CrossCountry Voyagers has distinctly improved in the last few months - whereas I used to make sure and bring a book and sometimes even turn my phone off to save battery as it would spend so long searching for signal, I now actually find I can browse reasonably easily. Certainly not up to streaming but little steps and all.

thenorthern

Established Member
I have an Isle of Man phone which connects to any network available rather than a specific network, so far the Voyagers haven't been able to defeat it. :D

Signal though from my perspective is poor on Voyagers and Pendolinos for my United Kingdom phone and its very hard to get a stable Internet connection for web browsing.

Mordac

Established Member
Was on a Virgin Voyager from New Street to Glasgow on Saturday and the mobile signal worked better than I've ever seen in a train of this family. Given the GPS still had trouble connecting, though, it's probably repeaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.