• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyager - Mobile Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railperf

Established Member
Yes. This is due to a strong athermic style coating on the window glass..probably to deflect sunlight rays and prevent the train heating up like a glasshouse - and keeps the air conditioning equipment smaller lighter and cheaper to run. The downside is reflecfion of most radio signals - which includes mobile phones. GPS is especially affected as those are very weak signals indeed.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
What I normally do to try and get around this is as follows. (this will only really work if you are using your phone to tether)

So I put my phone into my bag, plugged into a power bank, and put my bag on the overhead luggage rack, as far away from the windows as possible with the phone facing upwards. Normally seems to do the trick and at least gives me a usable connection.

i just take a book...........................

Bantamzen

Established Member
If you want a really bad signal just sit on any unit sitting on P1-5 at Leeds when a VTEC or two are sitting on P6 or P8. The 4G signal (well O2s at least) falls off almost completely, and even Northern's on-board WiFi struggles with it on any 321/322/333. And this is in a major city sitting stationary, let alone charging along at 100mph+ in the middle of nowhere!!

</rant over> :D

thenorthern

Established Member
I was on a Voyager today from Manchester Piccadilly to Stoke-on-Trent and the signal was patchy, I ended up using my Isle of Man phone which connects to any network available rather than a specific network.

I noticed that Vodafone seemed the most consistent network for some reason and my Isle of Man phone was connected to that one for most of the journey although it did connect to EE a couple of times. Is there any reason for Vodafone being the strongest on my journey other than Vodafone having more transmitters close to the track than anyone else.

1e10

I was on a Voyager today from Manchester Piccadilly to Stoke-on-Trent and the signal was patchy, I ended up using my Isle of Man phone which connects to any network available rather than a specific network.

I noticed that Vodafone seemed the most consistent network for some reason and my Isle of Man phone was connected to that one for most of the journey although it did connect to EE a couple of times. Is there any reason for Vodafone being the strongest on my journey other than Vodafone having more transmitters close to the track than anyone else.

Vodafone utilise 800Mhz 4G as standard, whereas I believe other operators use 800Mhz to compliment their existing offering (1800Mhz, 2100Mhz, 2600Mhz). The lower frequency will penetrate the train better.

I don't even bother to try and use my mobi between New Street and Leeds. East Coast on the other hand fares well.

Status
Not open for further replies.