• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyager vibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbeech

Established Member
So I'm currently on a train (1445 from YRK) that seems to be shaking more than I'd expect.
It's fine under load but on idle it's very rough. It's one of the trains I've not been on much. Am I just expecting too much from them or is this one likely to be more tired that it ought to be ? I know most people do not think that highly of them.

Rob

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScouserGirl

So I'm currently on a train (1445 from YRK) that seems to be shaking more than I'd expect.
It's fine under load but on idle it's very rough. It's one of the trains I've not been on much. Am I just expecting too much from them or is this one likely to be more tired that it ought to be ? I know most people do not think that highly of them.

Rob

Hope you have cushions they always vibrate badly am not keen on them tbh I try to avoid them if I can

TH172341

Fairly normal if standing still - and wouldn't surprise if it was doing so otherwise. Having travelled on one of XC's HST sets the other week and returning on a Voyager, I know which I prefer! The only improvement the latter had was better suspension. Says something when a 1970s design beats a modern era DEMU! However really the Voyagers just need a refurb and they'd be far improved - their reliability and power are certainly positives.

Last edited:

chris89

Established Member

Rob

I've only come across a few Voyagers/ Supers that have been like that, Although annoying generally ignore it.

Both XC's and VT's could do refurbs, especially some examples of the fleet. Also im fond of Voyagers anyway. Yes not fantastic but not poor either.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
When are the Voyagers (all of them) due their half life major upgrade/refurb/overhaul? They all must have been in service for about 15 years now

Ash Bridge

Established Member
When are the Voyagers (all of them) due their half life major upgrade/refurb/overhaul? They all must have been in service for about 15 years now

The first ones in service are only just approaching 14 years now, it does seem longer than that though.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Personally I've found the 180s far worse for strange cabin vibrations than the 22x types

Status
Not open for further replies.