• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyagers 'Arriva/DB" paint job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1e10

I travelled on 221 138 yesterday and noticed when alighting that coach A has 'Part of Arriva/DB' (not an exact quote, I didn't take note of it exactly) written on the side of it.

Is this new? I haven't noticed this on any XC Voyagers before.

On a slightly related note, is there a technical explanation as to why XC Voyagers feel like they're bouncing about on the track? <D The ride is awful, the overhead luggage racks shake!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SprinterMan

Established Member
I travelled on 221 138 yesterday and noticed when alighting that coach A has 'Part of Arriva/DB' (not an exact quote, I didn't take note of it exactly) written on the side of it.

Is this new? I haven't noticed this on any XC Voyagers before.

On a slightly related note, is there a technical explanation as to why XC Voyagers feel like they're bouncing about on the track? <D The ride is awful, the overhead luggage racks shake!

Did Birmingham to Stafford on 220007 (yay, got the hybrid one, and also got 221143 later in the day so double yay!) last Thursday, and while 220007 didn't have the stickers, damn near all of the other XC Voyagers I saw (which was a fair number, as you would expect on this stretch of line) had these stickers. I almost started a thread myself but never got round to it :P Nice to see XC making some sort of effort.

Adam :D

BestWestern

Established Member

Does 'they're cr*p' count as a technical explanation?! ;D

I understand there was concern even way back when the Voyagers were being designed, that they simply wouldn't be large enough to cope with passenger demand further down the road. The solution chosen at the time was to use a 'proactive loadings reduction' design; i.e. make them as downright nasty to travel on as possible, to attempt to deter anybody for whom alternatives were available. These measures were wide ranging, and included innovative features such as 'poo pong' synthetic stench equipment fitted throughout, ridiculously hot vestibules to encourage punters to get off again before they made it into the saloons, and all possible measures taken to avoid any passing resemblence to a proper long distance train. Once on board, passengers would be encouraged to terminate their journey at the earliest opportunity by having to suffer endless rattling and vibration, and being sat in one of the most depressing and cramped saloons ever created. Anybody who attempted to disrupt proceedings by visiting the lavatory would be repaid by having the door slide open mid-effort, assuming they hadn't already been driven to insanity by the sliding vestibule doors with their endless 'open/close/open/close...' cycles whenever the train is sat on any sort of minor camber.

Sadly, despite the very best efforts of all concerned, desperate people still fight to get on the darn things...

Last edited:

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Three brands on one train (CrossCountry, Arriva, DB) is simply corporate vanity. For most passengers, DB will mean nothing, while Arriva will mean, at best, "that clapped-out old bus that shudders round the town". Most transport combines are moving away from slapping their parent brand on everything - even First now have "The Buses of Somerset".

I remember an overheard comment locally shortly after GW rebranded to become FGW: "The trains were all right when they were Great Western, but now First have taken them over they've gone to pot." Of course, First had a major stake in the operation beforehand, too, but that wasn't the perception.

Get the product right and you can rebrand. Anyone with the misfortune to travel regularly on XC or ATW will know that Arriva are a long way from getting the product right.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Hmmm Interesting.. If anyone has any idea what diagram its on, I'll do my best to get an image of it!

Thanks,
Ross

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Thanks, NSEFAN

I wonder if this is coinciding with the Class 170 refurbishment. Ill let you all know if 170101 emerges from the works with the extra branding on it.

Thanks,
Ross

BuhSnarf

Maybe they're moving towards phasing out arriva name and getting the public used to seeing the DB logo is first step.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

starrymarkb

Established Member
Does DB now own Arriva and XC?

Yes. DB bought Arriva in a hostile bid some time ago, mainly for their continental rail operations (many of which they were later forced to divest by the various national regulators), as a result they've gained UK and Dutch buses, the VanHool, Temsa & VDL dealers for the UK, ATW and XC.

Arriva is now DB's overseas brand. So Chiltern and part of LOROL are also now Arriva.

NSEFAN

Established Member
Is the Arriva brand present anywhere on Chiltern or LOROL? I hadn't noticed it, infact I had assumed that it would have tarnished Chiltern's and LOROL's image! :lol:

starrymarkb

Established Member
Is the Arriva brand present anywhere on Chiltern or LOROL? I hadn't noticed it, infact I had assumed that it would have tarnished Chiltern's and LOROL's image! :lol:

I don't know if the trains are being Branded but here's a bit from the About section of their site

Chiltern Railways is owned by Deutsche Bahn AG and is part of Arriva, which is responsible for Deutsche Bahn’s local and regional service outside of Germany.

507 001

Established Member
.......assuming they hadn't already been driven to insanity by the sliding vestibule doors with their endless 'open/close/open/close...' cycles whenever the train is sat on any sort of minor camber......

Always amusing watching people try to get through the doors with large suitcases/bags/general detritus at Colwyn bay!

Got to admit (not trying to turn this into a voyager bashing thread) I used to like voyagers, used them a few times to do Bangor to Chester and Wigan to Carlisle etc.
However, having used one last year to do Manchester to Newton Abbot and then Tiverton parkway to Piccadilly return (rougly 5 hours each way) I can see why people hate them so much!
Used an EMT 158 a couple of days after that trip and found it considerably more comfortable and quiet. Says it all really!

Having recently spent 8 days touring the scenic railways of Devon and Cornwall, we were able to enjoy much more of the scenery from 150's, 153's and even pacers, than on the occasions we found ourselves on always packed Voyagers. You were often lucky to even get a seat on these, and sometimes ended up with no view of the outside world at all. Could not wait to get off every time and enormous sympathy for those spending hours heading far North.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Oh, so THAT'S where it's been! Looking for that one for quite a while now :lol:

There is also one other two coach unit which is at brush Loughborough. (Not sure what number)

170101 should be out soon (within the next few weeks)

Thanks,
Ross

sd0733

Established Member
170101 was in the yard at LNWR today next to the main running lines. It has got the DB/Arriva sticker at the top in the same place as the voyagers, in the centre of the driving coaches above the windows. Near invisible on the 170 except from perfectly side on as the silver is very shiny.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
The same branding has now appeared on Grand Central

Attachments

• IMG_20141213_130447.jpg
    IMG_20141213_130447.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 209

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

LOROL is jointly owned with MTL, so it's not wholly part of Arriva/DB.
This rebranding may be at DB's insistence rather than Arriva's.
All DB's UK rail franchise interests are part of "Arriva UK Trains".
I see that LNWR at Crewe has been rebranded Arriva TrainCare and is also part of Arriva UK Trains.
http://www.arrivatc.com/company.php
The full DB logo is prominent ("Mobility, Networks, Logistics").

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
LO trains do not include a "LOROL" brand or image anyway, the trains carry a permanent TfL identity, so I don'tt think there's much likelihood of a contractor's logo appearing on a 378...

JaJaWa

Established Member
LOROL is jointly owned with MTL, so it's not wholly part of Arriva/DB.
This rebranding may be at DB's insistence rather than Arriva's.
All DB's UK rail franchise interests are part of "Arriva UK Trains".
I see that LNWR at Crewe has been rebranded Arriva TrainCare and is also part of Arriva UK Trains.
http://www.arrivatc.com/company.php
The full DB logo is prominent ("Mobility, Networks, Logistics").

MTR! MTL were sold to Arriva funnily enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.