XC Weekend First & Railcard Reduced Tickets

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by adamcoppard, 26 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamcoppard

adamcoppard Member

Hi all,

Have sent a request to XC Customer Service but was wandering if anybody here had any real world experience with what I've been booked to do.

Yesterday, I booked tickets for Taunton to York with XC via their own website - taking up their offer for Weekend First Upgrade on the return portion of the journey. The tickets were Off Peak Anytime Return, discounted with my 16-25 Railcard. I add that the upgrade option was given to me after all details had been collected (railcard, etc.). However, then going onto the Weekend First page of XC's site I find this quote: "Please note that Child and Railcard discounts do not apply." (source)

So, has anyone done this before (get a Weekend First on a discounted ticket), or does it merely apply to the fact that I can't discount the £15.00 upgrade fee with my railcard (which I wasn't hoping, nor expecting, to be able to do).

Many thanks

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. All Line Rover

All Line Rover Established Member

It simply applies to the fact that you can't get a Railcard discount on the Weekend First ticket. All train companies allow customers with Railcard discounted tickets (excluding Advance tickets with XC) to purchase Weekend First.

4. stut

stut Established Member

I read that as child and railcard discounts not applying to the Weekend First price, rather than discounted tickets not being eligible.

[edit] Jinx!

5. adamcoppard

adamcoppard Member

Thanks. I just had visions of me getting on, sitting down (for a joyous four and a bit hour journey on a Voyager :roll: ) and then having issues with the ticket. Cheers.

6. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Tickets can be either Off-Peak or Anytime, but not both at the same time. Seeing that you're travelling at the weekend, I trust that you mean Off-Peak (flexible) tickets, and not Anytime tickets, as you would have paid way over the odds otherwise.

7. adamcoppard

adamcoppard Member

Sorry for the confusion, I bought an Off Peak Return, for £77.30 with my railcard discount.

8. Indigo2

Indigo2 Established Member

Taunton - York Off-Peak return rte NOT LONDON has an 8X restriction, so is in effect an off-peak return that is valid at any time.

9. adamcoppard

adamcoppard Member

10 :o coupons have just dropped through my door for this journey!! On top of the seat reservation for the return journey (along with another coupon for the weekend first upgrade!) the seat reservation class is 'STD' but the coach is A, which I believe is the first class coach on XC? Is this just a weird way seat reservations are printed, or is the seat reservation for a standard coach, in which case, I need to go and find a seat in first? The A's on the end are airline seats (:roll:), are they not?

10. wintonian

wintonian Established Member

That is correct as you have a standard class ticket but have chosen to upgrade it to a first class one, hence the weekend first coupon.

To put it another way you did not buy a first class ticket but chose to pay a supplement allowing to to take advantage of first class with a standard ticket.

First class is in coach A.

11. bb21

Is First Class not supposed to be in Coach F rather than Coach A with XC? How does it work on the HSTs?

12. wintonian

wintonian Established Member

First class is always coach A on XC.

Voyagers:

HST's

Turbostars:

See XC

13. bb21

Hmm. Seems like I got the wrong end of the schtick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.