• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC West Country - Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar46016

Not sure if this is the right place to post - but does anyone know the "order" of coaches for these trains?

For example - Cardiff > Paddington always ( nearly ) has Coach A at the London end and Coach K at the Swansea end.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Not sure if this is the right place to post - but does anyone know the "order" of coaches for these trains?

For example - Cardiff > Paddington always ( nearly ) has Coach A at the London end and Coach K at the Swansea end.

They don't have a particular order, they can appear either way round.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
If I'm understanding your question correctly there's no set order for these trains (class 220/221) to be in due to the nature of the services they operate, basically 1st class (coach A) can be either at the front or rear.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Also don't trust station information screens - I've just boarded a XC Voyager where the station screen stated that 1st class was at the rear when in fact it was at the front!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Also don't trust station information screens - I've just boarded a XC Voyager where the station screen stated that 1st class was at the rear when in fact it was at the front!
Yes, while the screens at stations like Birmingham New Street are generally accurate, at other locations I've seen Crosscountry trains reported as "This train is formed of four coaches. 1st class is at the rear of this train" which subsequently arrive as five carriages (a bonus), with first class at the front; or vice versa.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It depends on the order from the previous journey or what it worked the previous day.
Or which route it took in the Birmingham area, given that any particular service can be routed in two different ways, one of which doesn’t include a reversal.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation

I've had problems with reverse-formed IET's when on these with a seat reservation since February last year. But for the 12:30 from Didcot to London yesterday, my backward seat was forwards (just after Christmas Day the seat allocated was a backwards one).

First Class on London trains is meant to be at the London end. For XC HST's, First Class is meant to be at the rear for Northbound services (therefore the front on South West services). But formations can change with XC.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
On your day of travel go to www.journeycheck.com/crosscountry and see if there's any message there about your service. If there's not, you can tweet @CrossCountryUK who should be able to tell you if First Class is leading or trailing (or if it's a multiple formation etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.