• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC WiFi: An Answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMGitsDAVE

Saw on their Facebook they've came to a deal!

Someone asked the question regarding when WiFi would be delivered, and they received;

'CrossCountry Trains Hello Dean. Delighted to tell you we signed the contract today!

The HSTs should be fitted out early next year and the Voyager fitment begins in the Spring. The Voyagers should be fitted out fairly quickly so you should start to see the service across the network. Regards, Andy'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NightatLaira

About time too!

I've always been of the opinion WiFi should be available (and free) on every train. It's a sad state of affairs when you can get online on a 15min journey on the Heathrow Express, but not on a 10hr one on XC!

quarella

About time too!

I've always been of the opinion WiFi should be available (and free) on every train. It's a sad state of affairs when you can get online on a 15min journey on the Heathrow Express, but not on a 10hr one on XC!

It's a sad state of affairs that some people are so addicted and I do mean addicted that they cannot deal with the 15 minutes of the HEX without going on line.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It's a sad state of affairs that some people are so addicted and I do mean addicted that they cannot deal with the 15 minutes of the HEX without going on line.

Or they could need to check emails or flight details / tickets urgently...

quarella

Or they could need to check emails or flight details / tickets urgently...

An acceptable use. I'll give you that one but I do know people who don't seem able to cope with not being able to access the net at least once an hour and there is no work or personal reason that they need to be able to.

Crossover

Established Member
what did we do before WiFi !!

Exactly my thought too!

People speak as if it's almost criminal not to have WiFi on a train forgetting it is a fairly new thing.

Still, will be a welcome addition...although I now don't have cause to use XC much anymore <_<

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
what did we do before WiFi !!
We read books and newspapers. In huge quantities.

These industries are now a mere shadow of their former selves, due largely to electronic alternatives. (I was one of those consumers in the day, and now I'm the electronic equivalent - in terms of consuming information)

Is it really? The 'addiction' you refer to is no more captivating and is consumed no less passionately than novels and news were a few decades ago.
In fact, many people using wi-fi are simply replacing the paper version of their 'addiction' with the electronic equivalent.
Please don't assume that every Wi-Fi user is consuming some 'junk' just because it is delivered electronically. My 'neighbour' tonight was reading 'The Spectator' online. Why not?

About time too!

I've always been of the opinion WiFi should be available (and free) on every train.
I share your enthusiasm for this announcement. But I wouldn't go as far as expecting 'every' train to be so equipped. Certainly all long-distance services, and probably most of the longer commuter services, but on some of the others, a committed user can always use their mobile phone, laptop 'dongle' or other means of pursuing their interests.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member

But the nature of todays world means that for some it is not an addiction, but a requirement. Spending 3-4 hours on a XC journey that doesn't provide wi-fi can amount to lost productivity for some. That said, they should know already that the service is not provided and make allowances for it, but still, for some there is no alternative, it's a fact of the modern world.

Let's not forget that any pro wi-fi posts are not people who have previously critiscised XC for not providing wi-fi because they have an addiction. It is a long standing agreement in place that was part of the original franchise bid that was never delivered as expected.

Aictos

Established Member
I've done Leeds to Edinburgh with XC before on a 221 and although there was no wifi and it seem to have worse mobile phone reception then on the East Coast services, it wasn't that bad namely because I had other means to while away the time mainly playing Brighton SimSig.

I do think it is nice to have wifi BUT what about the 170's on the Birmingham to Stansted services surely they deserve to have wifi too?

Eagle

Established Member
I do think it is nice to have wifi BUT what about the 170's on the Birmingham to Stansted services surely they deserve to have wifi too?

Does anyone actually travel those end-to-end though, given that via London is more frequent, much cheaper and, given a good run on the Victoria line, quite a bit faster?

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Does anyone actually travel those end-to-end though, given that via London is more frequent, much cheaper and, given a good run on the Victoria line, quite a bit faster?

You would be very surprised at how much people hate changing trains, especially in London and especially if they have luggage. The services also tend to be quite well loaded with people travelling from Leicester and Cambridgeshire into Birmingham.

HSTEd

Veteran Member

So you go on journeys with no books, no newspapers and absolutely nothing else to do?

This is simply how people in this day and age obtain news and other information, in addition it allows people to be productive members of society during time that would otherwise be wasted on a train in the middle of nowhere.

I am of the opinion that any train that isnt a Class 378 or older equivalent-in-role should have free Wi-Fi.

Aictos

Established Member
You would be very surprised at how much people hate changing trains, especially in London and especially if they have luggage. The services also tend to be quite well loaded with people travelling from Leicester and Cambridgeshire into Birmingham.

Indeed, the Cross Country and East Midlands Trains services from Peterborough rather then have longer trains should increase the frequency to a half hourly service which is something I believe they are looking at for XC services but also ought to for the EMT services.

These services as they're serve a lot of places that remove the need to change at other stations are very popular with passengers both with or with a lot of luggage.

I myself prefer to use a direct train where possible so would rather fly from Stansted as I can get a direct train from Peterborough rather then having to go into London to come back out again like I would have to do so using Luton, Gatwick, Heathrow etc...., this is only one of the many reasons why I believe XC should roll out wifi across both it's fleets.

Indeed, the Cross Country and East Midlands Trains services from Peterborough rather then have longer trains should increase the frequency to a half hourly service which is something I believe they are looking at for XC services but also ought to for the EMT services.
Unfortunately, DafT have said NO.

cj_1985

i sincerely hope that Arriva/XCs decision to delay fitment of Wifi on the Voyagers and HSTs is remembered when they bid for any future franchises...
remembering that there will be atleast the ICEC, ICWC, ICGW, c2c and Anglia franchises to bid on in the next few years...

I do agree however that most people seem to expect that every train service should offer wifi.. and thats before considering those people that expect that it should be free

is wifi nice to have when traveling on a train... sure
is Wifi something you absolutely NEED... no

lets be honest most people who need constant access to their email will probably be business users... whos mobile contracts and handsets will be set up for automatic email forwarding...
the rest of people seem to expect it so they can keep "tweeting" or "poking" people on Facebook :roll:

Minilad

Established Member
is wifi nice to have when traveling on a train... sure
is Wifi something you absolutely NEED... no

lets be honest most people who need constant access to their email will probably be business users... whos mobile contracts and handsets will be set up for automatic email forwarding...
the rest of people seem to expect it so they can keep "tweeting" or "poking" people on Facebook :roll:

Couldn't agree more. One of the arguments for Wi-Fi is that we have hoards of people travelling on trains that will absolutely have to instantly read an all important life threatening e-mail. I would imagine anyone who's e-mails are that earth shatteringly important will already have a device for such eventuality . Be it a mobile, tablet or laptop with mobile broadband dongle

Blindtraveler

Established Member
both XC and virgin promised us enhanced mobile signal on voyagers and from experience only virgin have delivered here. As it happfns I bashed both TOCs examples yesturday and the contrast was starc! hopefully XC wil realise there failings here and deal with it! The rattles and rumbles woant change but it has to be said voyager travel with virgin is very different!

mumrar

Established Member
i sincerely hope that Arriva/XCs decision to delay fitment of Wifi on the Voyagers and HSTs is remembered when they bid for any future franchises...
remembering that there will be atleast the ICEC, ICWC, ICGW, c2c and Anglia franchises to bid on in the next few years...
Yes, don't consider the vastly improved punctuality due to train faults and the service improvement in some areas. We must make sure that above all franchise winners must fit WiFi!

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Yes, don't consider the vastly improved punctuality due to train faults and the service improvement in some areas. We must make sure that above all franchise winners must fit WiFi!

I think the point wasn't specifically about the WiFi, more about the fact that Arriva (who obviously own XC) have been more than happy to just sit back and pay the fines because that was cheaper than doing something that was in the franchise agreement. Yes, in this case it is something as trivial as WiFi. But who says they wouldn't have the same attitude to other things?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Additionally on long distance runs like those on ICXC, WiFi is one of the few advantages the train has over the aircraft, or would do if it was actually fitted.
If we want to see trains start to eat into aircraft's market shares in these markets free WiFi is essential, likewise dont Voyagers have that coating that will prevent wireless internet equipment inside the train (such as dongles and so on) from working correctly.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
a point I made elsewhere today - both opperaters of voyagers promised us enhanced mobile and associated signal onboard these sets and Virgin have delivered here. XC may have done something but iv never noticed and if as I did yesturday you bash both Virgins and XCs in a few hours of eachother then you do notice it!

I should perhaps point out im not developing some odd habbit that involves bashing voyagers, it was bad luck that when traveling to newcastle to do a bit of pacer milage on the Tyne valley, my ECML move from EDB was XC and at CAR I had to chose between a 185 or a 221 and as it was a Virgin set and practically empty the voyager one. At least I got a propperly cold beer out of a fridge though! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.