• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XP on a Mac...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth Hale

I read this in the newspaper (USA Today) and it seems silly, why not just but a PC.

Gareth Hale

Windows is the only OS that has support. Lets say you have linux.

You want FS2004, sorry, wont work, MSTS, sorry, nope, BVE, think again, MSN Messenger, erm, nah, AIM, sorry... and the list goes on and on!

Craig

Established Member
See my post above, not everyone uses their PC for playing games and going on the internet.

Gareth Hale

What else is a home user likely to do then? Since MS stopped support for Office MAC.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:

MSN Messenger, erm, nah, AIM, sorry... and the list goes on and on!

rubbish.... I've used MSN under Linux, there is a program out there for linux that supports most IM's and its reasonably good.

Tom B

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
What else is a home user likely to do then? Since MS stopped support for Office MAC.

You don't seriously beleive that the only office suite out there is M$ Office (too many people do).

OOo will run on all platforms. Usually you get it or KOffice bundled in. AND they will read standard formats which M$ Office still doesn't support (so you have to ***f around if you need to send something to someone with M$ Office).

IM - gaim

Image editing - gimp

Compiler - gcc

You've got everything and more. I've heard of BVE running under Linux. True though, you may need a secondary Windoze machine - that's the setup I use (or dual-boot, but I've not sucessfully managed to get that working yet)

Guinness

Established Member
Openoffice.org is a bunch of software which has the features of what an 'average' user might use. Oh, it's free and available for Macs. ;)

I've actually convinced the IT guy at school to have openoffice available on the schools network.

Tom B

Established Member
Chaz said:
I've actually convinced the IT guy at school to have openoffice available on the schools network.

When trying to load the bloated M$ Office (remember, you must convert all your stuff from home before using it on M$ Office) on a horrendously slow machine because of "budget restrictions" pervading them getting new machines (save, of course, in the beancounter's offices), one wishes OOo was availible. But someone managed to get themselves in a contract with the suppliers that they will only use *their* reccomended software, full stop.

T

Tom

Gareth Hale said:

You want FS2004, sorry, wont work, MSTS, sorry, nope, BVE, think again, MSN Messenger, erm, nah, AIM, sorry... and the list goes on and on!

Sorry Gareth, wrong on all accounts there.

FS2004 - works on Linux
MSTS - works on Linux
BVE - works on Linux (with a bit of play)
SimSig - works natively without much of a problem (wine)
MSNM - gaim is just as good
AIM - gaim is just as good

and the list goes on and on...

Craig

Established Member
Chaz said:
Openoffice.org is a bunch of software which has the features of what an 'average' user might use. Oh, it's free and available for Macs. ;)
It also has extra features not featured as standard on MS Office, such as the ability to export PDFs.

Cockfosters said:
I've heard of BVE running under Linux.
Have you got any more details of this?

Generally I'm not that anti-Microsoft (despite being a computing graduate ;)), but regardless of what some people say there are plenty of good alternatives to Windows which can only be a good thing.

T

Tom

BVE2 will quite happily run under Linux using WINE (the normal playing is required as with any program), BVE4 requires a bit of fiddling but does work, but with some problems. Have a look around for cedega (I believe that is what you require, but I can't remember off the top of my head).

Status
Not open for further replies.